Women + press ups

Options

Replies

• xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    They are good for women too as they work your pectoral muscles - which help keep your "girls" from bumping on your knees.:laugh:

Does not do a whole heap for women though. Boobs are fat, once the fat is gone there is not a huge amount you can do about what happens to them. You can only work the muscle under it, but without the fat there is only skin.

Yes, once the fat is gone they are gone. But while there is fat there, supportive underlying muscle keeps them perkier, just like any other area of fat with a decent muscle structure underneath it.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options

?!?!?! the weight on a press up is about 60 - 70%% of your body weight!!! spread over shoulders, arms and chest..........

If they were a strength/size exercise people wouldn't be knocking out 20,40,60...... in one set. This is stamina.

http://weighttrainingexercises4you.com/rep-ranges-to-develop-muscle.html
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    right first off, that website has no credibility, no nothing infact, other than info, second this a woman, not a body builder, third IF you can knock out 20, 30, 40 then you're not a beginner, if you can just about manage ten that is a decent weight lift regime, fourth not everyone is looking to just build bulky muscles that do nothing, most are looking for genuine strength and toned muscles, especially women

last and most definitely not least, if a press up wasn't important why on earth do the army train their soldiers to do press ups? stamina and strength go hand in hand in the real world not just to brag you can lift a heavy weight once and collapse on the floor.....

so in short: NO MATE
  • m4ttcheek
    Options
    1st: The website was just an example, these rep ranges are pretty widely recognized.
    2nd: Why would a bodybuilder do stamina exercises? The OP seemed worried about it being too much of a mass builder.
    3rd: My experience of training with women is that they can get over 10 reps in a month or 2. I've trained with lots of noobs at martial arts clubs.
    4th: Addressed in the second point and more original point, this wont build much muscle.
  • _Furio_
    _Furio_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    second this a woman, not a body builder

WTF are you talking about? so what if it is a woman? Press ups aren't a good chest builder. doing lots of press ups will just make you good at press ups as there's litte opportunity to progressively overload. The bench press is a superior exercise by a mile.
    fourth not everyone is looking to just build bulky muscles that do nothing, most are looking for genuine strength and toned muscles, especially women

When does a big muscle suddenly become useless and 'do nothing'? Look at a rugby player's physique. some of then are 19st and can run 100m quicker than you and your pathetic frame.
    last and most definitely not least, if a press up wasn't important why on earth do the army train their soldiers to do press ups?

AHAHAHAHAHA, are you claiming the army to be the beacon of physical fitness? the entry requirements require 50 press ups in 2 minutes. I'd question myself as a man if i couldn't achieve this with even a basic level of fitness. if you can't, you're either fat, weak, or both.
    stamina and strength go hand in hand in the real world not just to brag you can lift a heavy weight once and collapse on the floor.....

I'd really stick to waxing lyrical about things you actually have any knowledge of.
  • twelfty
    Options
    second this a woman, not a body builder

WTF are you talking about? so what if it is a woman? Press ups aren't a good chest builder. doing lots of press ups will just make you good at press ups as there's litte opportunity to progressively overload. The bench press is a superior exercise by a mile.
    fourth not everyone is looking to just build bulky muscles that do nothing, most are looking for genuine strength and toned muscles, especially women

When does a big muscle suddenly become useless and 'do nothing'? Look at a rugby player's physique. some of then are 19st and can run 100m quicker than you and your pathetic frame.
    last and most definitely not least, if a press up wasn't important why on earth do the army train their soldiers to do press ups?

AHAHAHAHAHA, are you claiming the army to be the beacon of physical fitness? the entry requirements require 50 press ups in 2 minutes. I'd question myself as a man if i couldn't achieve this with even a basic level of fitness. if you can't, you're either fat, weak, or both.
    stamina and strength go hand in hand in the real world not just to brag you can lift a heavy weight once and collapse on the floor.....

I'd really stick to waxing lyrical about things you actually have any knowledge of.

the post is about a woman wanting to do press ups to tone up and get strong. which press ups are perfect for as a beginner

rugby players?!?! seriously.... for a start rugby players are enormous naturally, you don't get to that size at 21 - 24 without being naturally big. as for my frame... well... i'm 6'4 and 190 so i'm doing alright, that picture was a couple of years ago, and i run 100m quite quick thanks lol but well done for breaking the rules in your first post

to build on that body builders are different to rugby players one is size, power and stamina the other is purely focused on ORM maybe 10 reps at a lower weight in comp. the difference being one is a tiny man being big the other is a big man being fit, simple.

the army ENTRY level of fitness is 50 in 2 mins yeah but this is worked on to build peak physical fitness with... press ups as well as other things.

y'know i probably couldn't do the 50 in 2 but i'm working towards it, i don't really feel the need to question myself as a man by the size of my muscles... well maybe one and he's definitely big enough lol... sounds like you got some making up to do...? i can't see any other reason to stoop to such a pathetic level of trying to take away another blokes dignity by making out he's not manly, yeah definitely little **** syndrome that

and no i'm not fat, or that weak actually more a fitness thing.
  • m4ttcheek
    Options
    the post is about a woman wanting to do press ups to tone up and get strong. which press ups are perfect for as a beginner

The post was about should women do press ups of at they just a chest builder for men. Also what does it work.

My first post stated that they aren't a chest builder for men. Which you thought was the dumbest thing you'd ever read. Then you suggested it was a bodybuilding exercise. Then you say it's for building "toned muscles" and strength......

Also i feel fairly offended on behalf of women that you under estimate their abilities so much.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    For gods sake boys, put your d**ks away and stop arguing. Pushups are great for building strength, how on earth are you meant to get better at things LIKE bench press if you cant push your own weight off the ground. They will not give you the crazy pec muscles that benching 100kg will, but they will help strengthen that general area and keep it looking nice if you have a low enough BF%. Now stop.
  • m4ttcheek
    Options
    he started it ;)
  • _Furio_
    Options

what does the word 'tone' even mean? Stop using it, you're refering to someone who wants to lower their BF%.

You won't get strong from doing press ups. you'll get good at doing press ups. to get strong you need to progressively overload your muscles and stay in the correct rep range for strength training.

There is nothing wrong with press ups, i do them. but they are not a great chest builder, nor a strength builder.
    rugby players?!?! seriously.... for a start rugby players are enormous naturally, you don't get to that size at 21 - 24 without being naturally big. as for my frame... well... i'm 6'4 and 190 so i'm doing alright, that picture was a couple of years ago, and i run 100m quite quick thanks lol but well done for breaking the rules in your first post

How on earth are they enormous naturally? Jason Robinson is 5ft 8' and around 190lb. He wasn't born at that weight with that much muscle. Anyone can get to that size by 21-24. the 'must be naturally big' excuse is wheeled out by the uniformed people who have no idea how to put together a decent strength and size routine.
    to build on that body builders are different to rugby players one is size, power and stamina the other is purely focused on ORM maybe 10 reps at a lower weight in comp. the difference being one is a tiny man being big the other is a big man being fit, simple.

again, you're looking like an idiot. bodybuilders don't lift anything during a comp, they pose on stage. Rugby players train to be good at rugby, and body builders train to look symetrical. stop comparing the two. i only mentioned rugby players to completely pwn your assertion that big muscles 'dont do anything'.
    the army ENTRY level of fitness is 50 in 2 mins yeah but this is worked on to build peak physical fitness with... press ups as well as other things.

90% of the time spent in the army is spent sat on a base. how on earth do you think that is the peak of physical fitness. they are probably fitter than the average male in society, but look around you; it's hardly much of a comparison is it.
    i don't really feel the need to question myself as a man by the size of my muscles... well maybe one and he's definitely big enough lol... sounds like you got some making up to do...? i can't see any other reason to stoop to such a pathetic level of trying to take away another blokes dignity by making out he's not manly, yeah definitely little **** syndrome that

HEH! this is another of the excuses wheeled out by the insecure. that anyone training harder than them 'has some making up to do'. I'm actually lighter than you and not as tall. I'm willing to be i'm stronger, faster, fitter and have a lower BF% than you. From a fitness and lifting perspective you've achieved very little (as have I), but that isn't an excuse to go around giving people crappy advice.

I bet these are some other things you tell people:
    [regarding a bodybuilder] "yeah, but it all turns to fat when they stop training"
    "muscle weighs more than fat"
    "higher rep, lower weight gets you 'toned'"
    "i don't want to 'get big', women don't like that"
    "don't eat carbs after 7pm or you'll get fat"
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I have been strength training for years I started doing push-ups regularly a few months ago and my arms look better than EVER (try the hundredpushups.com program; I built strength very fast on this program). Stick with them and graduate to the on the toes version when you can. You will love what they will do for your arms! Good luck :smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    For gods sake boys, put your d**ks away and stop arguing. Pushups are great for building strength, how on earth are you meant to get better at things LIKE bench press if you cant push your own weight off the ground. They will not give you the crazy pec muscles that benching 100kg will, but they will help strengthen that general area and keep it looking nice if you have a low enough BF%. Now stop.

^^^ this

and you can progress from regular push-ups to more advanced push-ups if it''s strength gains you're after. They're a great exercise with so many varieties there's at least one for almost everyone, from wall push-ups to really crazy stuff like backflip burpee push-ups.
  • twelfty
    Options

what does the word 'tone' even mean? Stop using it, you're refering to someone who wants to lower their BF%.

You won't get strong from doing press ups. you'll get good at doing press ups. to get strong you need to progressively overload your muscles and stay in the correct rep range for strength training.

There is nothing wrong with press ups, i do them. but they are not a great chest builder, nor a strength builder.

How on earth are they enormous naturally? Jason Robinson is 5ft 8' and around 190lb. He wasn't born at that weight with that much muscle. Anyone can get to that size by 21-24. the 'must be naturally big' excuse is wheeled out by the uniformed people who have no idea how to put together a decent strength and size routine.

again, you're looking like an idiot. bodybuilders don't lift anything during a comp, they pose on stage. Rugby players train to be good at rugby, and body builders train to look symetrical. stop comparing the two. i only mentioned rugby players to completely pwn your assertion that big muscles 'dont do anything'.

90% of the time spent in the army is spent sat on a base. how on earth do you think that is the peak of physical fitness. they are probably fitter than the average male in society, but look around you; it's hardly much of a comparison is it.
    i don't really feel the need to question myself as a man by the size of my muscles... well maybe one and he's definitely big enough lol... sounds like you got some making up to do...? i can't see any other reason to stoop to such a pathetic level of trying to take away another blokes dignity by making out he's not manly, yeah definitely little **** syndrome that

HEH! this is another of the excuses wheeled out by the insecure. that anyone training harder than them 'has some making up to do'. I'm actually lighter than you and not as tall. I'm willing to be i'm stronger, faster, fitter and have a lower BF% than you. From a fitness and lifting perspective you've achieved very little (as have I), but that isn't an excuse to go around giving people crappy advice.

I bet these are some other things you tell people:
    [regarding a bodybuilder] "yeah, but it all turns to fat when they stop training"
    "muscle weighs more than fat"
    "higher rep, lower weight gets you 'toned'"
    "i don't want to 'get big', women don't like that"
    "don't eat carbs after 7pm or you'll get fat"

to tone, not to build massive muscle just a bit and get lean or yeah lower bf%

i disagree, press ups are basically a bench press, people do bench press' to get strong, once you reach the plateu of your weight vs strength it then becomes defunct as a muscle builder, women by natural build and how they gain muscle can do less than men, be offended if you must for them but it's common fact, hence why women have different competions in the olympics to men, i don't see where the offence is?

ok.... most rugby players are naturally big: Thomas Waldrom for example

you're quite right body builders do stand there a flex, i was thinking more of the strong man / body builder type

big muscles doing nothing is in reference to stamina not that they lift nothing

90% of the time sat in a base and required to train

and no i didn't say that because you're training harder than me you have small **** the fact you need belittle others as a result of this is why you have a little ****, my bf% is 12%, you probably are fitter than me hence my own admission of not being able to 50 in 2 and you feeling this is easy would show that, idk if you're stronger than me, i don't compare to others i go by my own gains which i'm very happy with

doing press ups is a brilliant way to start an excersize regime, it's not crappy advice at all

i do want to get big, but not massive, i guess that depends on your opinion of big is and what women see as too big

muscle and fat weight the same they sit on the body differently which is why one appears bigger than the other

i eat 1500 calories for dinner every night at around 8pm and if i felt hungry at 10 pm i'd stuff my face till i was content

high rep, low weight wastes time and energy

body builders get fat because they continue to eat the calories they feel they need having been a big size and not training to expend the energy
  • _Furio_
    Options

quite easily. you start with an empty bar and add weight. it's just a debate, try not to get too worried about two people with a difference of opinion.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

quite easily. you start with an empty bar and add weight. it's just a debate, try not to get too worried about two people with a difference of opinion.

Youre hijacking someone elses thread, if you're that bothered take it to PM.
  • twelfty
    Options

it's not a difference of opinion it's a difference of experience, you're a self confessed weight lifter and have had good gains and doling out advice fit for you for a woman who is a beginner and telling her a press up she said herself couldn't or couyld just about do 5 at the start of her regime isn't going to give her good gains, and that's simply not true

when i first started i couldn't do 10 press ups, my chest was basically non existent, from doing press ups and chest flies of 5kg a side i saw my chest go from nothing to something noticable, when i first started press ups my chest would ache for two days at doing my max resting for 3 mins and doing 1/2 sets of this to say you wont see any muscle gains from doing press ups as a beginner is complete BS and you either lack the memory to remember as a beginner or started at a higher level to not know, either or you're wrong
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've recently started doing press ups as part of my exercise routine. The ladies type ones on your knees, not the full men type ones as I'm not strong enough yet. I'm doing an extra 5 per night to keep getting better. I just wanted to ask if these are actually beneficial to women or are they best left to the men for chest building? If you do think hell yeah women should do them, can you let me know what they work?
    I am very excited to be honest cos I never thought I could do a press up but now doing sets with reps of 10 :) Let me know your thoughts! Xx

Like voting, having a successful career, or refusing to make sammiches, pushups is just one of those things that women shouldn't be doing.
    right first off, that website has no credibility, no nothing infact, other than info, second this a woman, not a body builder, third IF you can knock out 20, 30, 40 then you're not a beginner, if you can just about manage ten that is a decent weight lift regime, fourth not everyone is looking to just build bulky muscles that do nothing, most are looking for genuine strength and toned muscles, especially women

last and most definitely not least, if a press up wasn't important why on earth do the army train their soldiers to do press ups? stamina and strength go hand in hand in the real world not just to brag you can lift a heavy weight once and collapse on the floor.....

It's funny when weak people try to talk about stamina as an excuse for being...well...weak. Like somehow lifting an ACTUAL weight is going to take away their ability to carry a backpack for more than 15 seconds. Further, the army has pushups as part of their required physical training regime because it's an activity accessible by anyone, anywhere. The idea being that they need to be able to do PT anywhere, and there might not be a gym nearby.
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Push-ups work your entire core, not just your pecs and triceps. So yeah, keep doing them. One way to build up from knee push-ups to the classic variety is to practice planks to strengthen your back and ab muscles.
  • twelfty
    Options

It's funny when weak people try to talk about stamina as an excuse for being...well...weak. Like somehow lifting an ACTUAL weight is going to take away their ability to carry a backpack for more than 15 seconds. Further, the army has pushups as part of their required physical training regime because it's an activity accessible by anyone, anywhere. The idea being that they need to be able to do PT anywhere, and there might not be a gym nearby.

i'm not weak?