Did my first day of Couch to 5k :)

Options
I did my first day today, intervals of 1 min run, 1 /12 min walk, 5 mins warm up and cool down. Managed to fall flat on my *kitten* over some brambles (note to self - pick less wild ground for next time!) and cut my leg OUCH! Felt a bit breathless after my 3rd run minute, but altogether was not at all bad. It doesn't seem like much, and feel a bit of a wuss starting at such a low level, but overall am proud I got out there and did it :D Looking forward to my next session the day after tomorrow.

Anyone else start today or recently? x

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 1, Day 3 on Monday. I had done it last year too and was up to week 5, but I stopped running in July or August so I'm crazy out-of-shape now and had to start over at the beginning.
    To keep myself motivated, I made plans with my sister and one of our friends to do a women's only mud run (Pretty Muddy) in Chicago on Sept 7! :happy:
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I started C25K in January 2012 and ran my first half marathon in December. Stick with your schedule and take it slow. Also make sure you have decent running shoes.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! Great program. My wife started on it a couple months ago and has run several 5k races in the past two months. First one she did about 42 minutes with a lot of walking intervals, second one knocked it down to 39 minutes, and last weekend ran a 36:32 with only one brief walking break.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! That is a great program. I remember my first week, I almost died. Now I am training for a 10K and will start my half marathon training in June. Keep doing the good work!
  • msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't started yet but I just downloaded the Zombies, Run! App. Can't wait to get going!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Good for you starting this great program! I'm finishing it this week and never thought I would enjoy running so much. Just take it easy and follow the program and you'll do great.
  • michellewong699
    michellewong699 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started this program about a year ago and only continued it for a week lol!
    I have zero endurance and my butt was sufficiently kicked during those days. I just gave up because I couldn't find the drive to push myself.

I'm inspired to try it again! Its hard to believe that I can eventually run 5K but, seeing that so many others have done it, I'm sure I can push myself through again.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I wanted to try last year but only had the plans on the net to go off. I just got an IPhone 5 and downloaded the "Get Running" app for C25k which has all the coaching, and I found it really motivating. Hoping to keep it up and end up running marathons like you guys :D

Good luck Crista! We can do it x
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm on week three..... Well it's taken me 7 weeks to get to week 3 lol! Trying to be brave enough to do week 4 thinking Monday! I go 6 days a week! Love it x
  • justjayce
    justjayce Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm doing week 4 day 2 later this afternoon! I can't say enough about how awesome this program truly is. I never in a million years thought I could be a runner, but it's happening. Just for fun, I decided to try to run a mile yesterday. I did it in 9:25! I'm so proud of myself. My best advice is just stick with it and don't be afraid to repeat a week if you need to. *highfive*
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Wow so impressed with what you lot are doing, or have been able to do since starting this. Gives me hope :-D
  • thebassdrumheavy
    thebassdrumheavy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! It's so rewarding at the end, and it has made me love running! I did it last year and stopped for a while and now I'm back to it. I'm on week 3 for the second week in a row. Week 3 and 4 tend to kick my butt, but once I get past it, the rest of the weeks are great. I'm training for a 5k in June. I hope you have fun with it and continue to push yourself!
  • Cherylllyn
    Cherylllyn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey, good to hear that I'm not the only one doing that program. I'm on week 3.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing it as well - started last Saturday and am doing Day 3 of week 1 tonight. I'll start week 2 on Saturday. I've never been a runner though I always wanted to be. Day 1 was tough and Day 2 was much easier. I think the design of the program is going to be really helpful as the run segments get increasingly longer. Heading out this weekend to get fitted for good shoes. Good luck!
  • krisnshan
    krisnshan Posts: 41
    Options
    I just got the app...and want to start, have honestly been afraid of starting it since I just started biking...and my legs feel like jelly most days....do you think it is doable? To start this and the biking? Or should I wait?
  • crista_b
    Options
    Well it's taken me 7 weeks to get to week 3 lol!

Don't worry... When I was doing it last year, I think I spent a couple weeks on 2, about 3 weeks on 3, and probably 5 weeks on 4 before I stopped running. I was beyond excited when I actually ran 5 minutes straight without a walk break. It doesn't sound like much, but for someone like me who DESPISED exercise with a passion and was (is) very out of shape, that was a huge accomplishment. I can't wait to get there again!

Good on you, everyone!

My goals are:
    - complete c25k
    - 5K Mud Run Sept 7
    - Disney Princess Half Marathon in 2015 or 2016 or 2017 or 2018 (or maybe all if I get adventurous!)
  • crista_b
    Options
    I just got the app...and want to start, have honestly been afraid of starting it since I just started biking...and my legs feel like jelly most days....do you think it is doable? To start this and the biking? Or should I wait?

What if you alternated your cardio days? Say for example you do cardio (currently biking) on MWF, maybe you could do biking Mon, Fri, and c25k on Wednesdays (and once over the weekend if you feel up to it). Just an idea?
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm on week three..... Well it's taken me 7 weeks to get to week 3 lol! Trying to be brave enough to do week 4 thinking Monday! I go 6 days a week! Love it x
    Don't do it 6 days a week. This is what I was doing and I was tired all the time. Then I swiched to 3-4 times a week and I was full of energy.
  • MADHATTER68
    MADHATTER68 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    On week 1 day 3. First two days were on the treadmill, thought I was going to die! (LOL!) I have never been a fan of running but going to stick with it! Especially after reading here. :smile:
  • newfielover
    newfielover Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great work!!