I'm going to scream

Options

Replies

• andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think I'm eating between TDEE and BMR.

You think, but do you know?

Based on your info (25yo female, 5'6", 217lbs) and guestimating your body fat % @ 35, your BMR is 1754. Based on an moderate activity level (exercise 3-5x/wk) your TDEE is 2258.

TDEE - 15% = 1919
    TDEE - 20% = 1806

You are currently eating UNDER your BMR, resulting in no weight loss and possible weight gain.

Yep I used http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and got 1785 for BMR so you are not meeting body's basic need. Your body burns glucose for energy. It will change fat and protein (muscle) into glucose to meet this need. After a bit your body will think you are living in a "famine" area and start to conserve as much energy as possible reducing your metabolism to burn as little as possible and chemical/hormonal changes to cause body to hold onto every bit of fat possible. This means only thing left is protein to turn to glucose and that means your muscles break down to fuel your body's basic needs. Muscle burns the calories so body gets it fuel and reduces amount of fuel burnt in future. I win-win for your body, a lose-lose for you.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I've checked before and yes. TDEE is 2610 and 1786.95 is my BMI for the weight I'm at now. So, I should be eating at least 1700?

You should be eating more than 1786 doll.
  • Agannon0728
    Agannon0728 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    try to lower your calorie intake some more.. mine is about a pound a week! Only eating one meal a day is causing your body to store all the food at once and not slowly.. try to eat more often but less at eat meal!! and if your going to eat a big meal, try to do some in the morning or lunch!! the key for me was water every time I thought I was hungry
  • missmonika27
    Options
    I think it is not only what you are eating but also the kind of workout; like are you enjoying it and is it pushing you enough?
    From what i have read here you have been doing a good job in trying to change your lifestyle habits for the better

Try TurboFire or ChaLEAN Extreme? Fun workouts that just keep making you go further

GOOD LUCK!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    try to lower your calorie intake some more.. mine is about a pound a week! Only eating one meal a day is causing your body to store all the food at once and not slowly.. try to eat more often but less at eat meal!! and if your going to eat a big meal, try to do some in the morning or lunch!! the key for me was water every time I thought I was hungry

^^^ NO!!! This is not the solution!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more to prevent lowering your metabolism. 1530 is not terribly low but at your age with a lot of cardio you probably need another 200 - 300 per day.

How sure are you of your calorie counts? Are you 100% honest about your intake, even if you have a bad day? I know a lot of people on MFP like to say that eating too little can cause you to gain weight, but as long as you are at a deficit you should lose weight, unless you have a medical condition preventing it.

So, either you have a medical condition or you are not eating at a deficit. Either you are underestimating your calories consumed, or you have a very low BMR (basal metabolic rate). If you consistently eat too few calories, your body will lower your BMR to prevent starvation (this is the starvation mode you hear so much about). It doesn't happen quickly, though.

Assuming you don't have a medical condition, you can improve your BMR by eating a little more calories and including enough protein in those calories to maintain muscle.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Based on your info (25yo female, 5'6", 217lbs) and guestimating your body fat % @ 35, your BMR is 1754. Based on an moderate activity level (exercise 3-5x/wk) your TDEE is 2258.

TDEE - 15% = 1919
    TDEE - 20% = 1806

You are currently eating UNDER your BMR, resulting in no weight loss and possible weight gain.

First off, I call bull. Looking at your caloric consumption from the first of the year you ate between 1000 and 1600 for a good portion of the days you happened to be losing. Pretty sure that is under your BMR.

OP, are you logging drinks? Even juice? I try never to drink my calories I feel like they add up fast. Is your sodium high? You may be retaining water. Are you on any medications? They can effect weight loss. Eating under your BMR will never cause you to gain. It can make you want to binge which will cut into your weekly deficit in effect resetting the work you did all week with overeating on the weekends.

IT IS SCIENTIFICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GAIN WITHOUT SUFFICIENT CALORIC INTAKE. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I do log my drinks. I try to drink only water and I log my drinks when I go out.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    OK - I have recently been having this issue as well.... so I went back to my diary a couple years ago when I was pretty consistently losing and I noticed that 1) I was not doing a lot of weight training (where I am now) and 2) I was eating more calories. Also, I have consulted a nutritionist in the past that told me to ALWAYS space out my food because your body isn't going to burn faster just because you ate more... if you want your metabolism to be working at the best possible rate, try to eat smaller meals more often.

So, if you're doing both cardio and weight training... maybe try to pull back on the weight training for a week and see if you lose a pound... if so that's probably your problem right there. You might just not lose anything for a few weeks until your body gets used to your pumped up muscles :)

Good luck!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    add me as a friend , I will check out your diary and see what's up??
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Terrible advice. Eat more. Keep at it. You'll get there.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The question for you is ... how much sugar and/or salt intake? How much processed foods? Are you ending up with less than your daily calorie intake should be? Losing weight involves losing/eliminating at least 3500 calories a week to lose a pound. Feel free to add me ... I'll be supportive...:smile:
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    Most of my sugar intake is from foods like fruits and Greek yogurt. I rarely, rarely drink pop. When I do it's normally the 90 calorie can (I know, it still has a ton of sugar)
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    If you are logging your calories accurately, you may need to have your thyroid checked. Best of luck to you. I am sure it is horribly frustrating.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP: Do you weight solid foods an measure liquids?

If not I would venture to guess you are taking in 10-30% more calories than you think you are, which at the high end, may put you over maintenance intake.

Another option is to have thyroid checked as your BMR and hence TDEE may be much lower than you calculated if there is an issue with it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Most of my sugar intake is from foods like fruits and Greek yogurt. I rarely, rarely drink pop. When I do it's normally the 90 calorie can (I know, it still has a ton of sugar)

Ignore sugar anyway (unless diabetic, or pre-diabetic) it is just a carb, if you track carbs no need to also track sugar. (Cals in vs. cals out for weight gain or loss)
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    I like to make smoothies for breakfast and normally I do the following:

1 cup ice
    1/2 a frozen banana or a whole small, nonfrozen banana
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup soymilk or almond milk
    1/2 cup frozen fruit of my choice
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try eating 6 small meals a day instead of 3 large ones. If you're to consume 1500 calories that is around 250 calories a piece however it can be more or less, a piece of cheese, an apple with peanut butter that type of stuff. Limit processed foods, go all natural if you can.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I do eat fruit so my sugar intake is high.

fruit isn't your (or anyone else's) problem for not losing weight.

limit processed crap. go with lots veggies and lean proteins. cihcken breast, fish etc. break up your meals into smaller ones.

have a treat once a week. enjoy yourself and make it a lifestyle.

my 2 cents
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    are you eyeballing your portions or are you weighing and measuring everything? Make sure you're being as accurate as possible when logging your food by weighing/measuring out what you eat. It only takes a few seconds. Buy a digital food scale (I like being able to switch between kilos and ounces). When I prepare my plates, if it's solid I weigh it, if it's liquid it's measured. For example, if I make tacos, I'll put the shells on the plate, reset to zero, add 3 oz of meat, reset to zero, add one ounce of cheese, etc....