Failing at C25K

Options
For reference I'm a 25-year-old female and I'm not overweight.

So, I went out in an attempt to start the C25K running program and...I failed so hard. I've been exercising regularly for about a month now (kettlebell cardio work outs), so I hoped I'd be better at cardio than I apparently am.

I couldn't even finish. I did three of the "one minute running" intervals and then had to quit. I felt like I'd faint! Did anyone else have a really hard time getting the ball rolling with running?

I can't imagine that I did anything wrong, but I think I might have been jogging too fast during the intervals. Still, I feel like quite a shlump. Any encouragement is welcome.

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My advice is to slow down. I am 36, 5ft and 229lbs and I am on Week 2 so if I can do it so can you :flowerforyou:

Slow and steady. Even if you can't do the full time, walk and then jog again for as long as you are able. You will slowly build stamina.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • ampeterson69
    Options
    Don't give up. You can do this. Yes, it is normal to experience what you felt starting a running program. You will want to slow down until you are comfortable and can complete the intervals. Time is the focus at the beginning and not speed. It is ok to repeat weeks as well as your body is adjusting to this new workout. I started running last year and the best advice I received was to slow down. Please try again and go at a comfortable pace. I wish you the best.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You can do this. Yes, it is normal to experience what you felt starting a running program. You will want to slow down until you are comfortable and can complete the intervals. Time is the focus at the beginning and not speed. It is ok to repeat weeks as well as your body is adjusting to this new workout. I started running last year and the best advice I received was to slow down. Please try again and go at a comfortable pace. I wish you the best.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.
  • kwogni
    kwogni Posts: 18
    Options
    Performance and VO2 MAX (google it) is exercise specific. Your body saw running as something completely new, which is why you felt faint. However, the body adapts if constantly subjected to it. Keep at it - don't go all out with the running, jog instead or walk it if you have to. Just get the activities of the c25k completed. Never mind how long it takes, it's ultimately building the stamina to go the distance that counts.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with what the others are saying here. Take it slow at first and let your body adapt. It does get better!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
  • cmristine
    cmristine Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is no such thing as failure in any type of exercise. You still receive the cardio benefit by trying to do the activity. You just haven't done it to your own satisfaction yet. I know power builders who can't carry heavy packages because they are not balanced loads, like weights. I also know runners who lack the patience and flexibility to do yoga. So there is no such thing as "I can't do it", there is only "I haven't done it--yet". Keep repeating the day you didn't complete, don't go back to the very beginning. Eventually, you will work through that challenge and go on to the next one. I am on Week 6 Day 1 of C2K and after running 25 minutes the first time in my life, I know I will need another rest day before I can do it three more times. And I will probably take more than a week to do it successfully before I move on to 28 minutes. So what? Three Hundred Million Americans are wasting their lives on the couch.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else have a really hard time getting the ball rolling with running?
    Yes, everybody did. Slow down as needed to finish the intervals. You will speed up a lot over the coming months.
  • inksmear
    inksmear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I feel quite motivated to get out there and try again.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    You only fail if you give up. Don't give up!
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ohhh yes. I am 26 and am currently slightly overweight, but I have NEVER been good at running - I have no idea why, but it does not come naturally to me at all.

You're probably running too fast - go as SLOW as you need to. I realized that I thought I had to be going at a certain speed or else it was like glorified walking. But I finally got over my pride, slowed the treadmill down to a pretty embarrassing pace and just jogged. Last night I ran 2.5 miles! It took me over 30 minutes, but I did run the entire thing and felt like I could keep going. You'll get there - just keep working at it and be patient.
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Basically just seconding what everyone else has says, but I failed twice before and I'm now on week 7.

I'm also a 25 year old female and I was/am not overweight either. And I had been doing other forms of cardio for a few months before I decided to try running so I was pretty surprised and discouraged when I had a really hard time with it. I finally got it right the third time around though, and this is what I learned:

1. Don't go too fast. I read this somewhere for beginner runners... that your speed should be pretty slow. With my first attempts at running I kept trying to up my speed a little each interval or day so I was really pushing myself... but it did me no favors. When I did it this time I decided to keep my speed between 5.5 and 5.8 mph--which may be slow, but I think this is the number one thing that has helped me succeed.

2. Take all the time you need. If you need to do a week for two or three weeks, that's fine. It's not a race. But also, don't expect yourself to fail. Looking at some of the weeks I was sure I'd have to spend more time on them, and sometimes during the run I'd think "I'm going to have to stop soon", but I never did. I used little tricks to get myself to complete an interval. I run on a treadmill, so I cover up the time and either watch TV or listen to music. So when I feel like giving up I'll say to myself, "after this song" or "on the next commercial" and when that time comes I try to go until the next song or commercial. I actually schedule my workouts around programs I'd like to watch.

3. Stretch. It hurts so much less.

4. Don't do too much. I cut back on my other cardio to focus more on running without tiring until I get used to it.

5. EVERY OTHER DAY. Don't run every day. Seriously. This, along with not running too fast, has made a WORLD of difference. Also, try not to skip days or you may lose momentum. I do Sun, Wed, Thurs each week so I have 2 days off before the next week.

Please keep trying. I thought there was something horribly wrong with me and that I was the only person in the world that couldn't run at all. (And I mean AT ALL.) But now I'm really enjoying it and I'm really surprised with the progress I've made. I'm so glad I didn't give up. :)

Sorry.... kinda long but I hope this helps! Friend me if you want a c25k buddy!
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Used to be TERRIBLE at running, finally decided to just stop complaining and go for it.

Lesson learned: running is not fun or enjoyable until you get better at it. However, you will get better at it with practice!

Give it some time, and just keep at it!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I have been running for years, but after getting fat and lazy I fell out of it and months later tried the C25K...I couldnt do it either I ran the one minute intervals and at the half way point i thought I was going to pass out so I walked home. What did I do??? The next day I went out and I did it again only I tried to push my self harder....Still felt like I was gonna die but I pushed on and eventually it got easier. If you really dont like to run though try swimming, thats what I do in between my runs and its a great form of cardio
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Take this to heart: During your running intervals....if you can slow down in any way, you are running TOO FAST. It is about duration, not speed. Speed will come once you've mastered endurance.

Seriously, there is no too slow when you're beginning. On a treadmill, the only way I could run for 30 minutes at a time was to run at a 4.7 pace. But I'm improving.
  • khowlett1
    khowlett1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    just for reference it took me 2x as long to get thru this prgram that it shoudl have.... I had to repeat each week at least 2x sometimes 3... I would not progress to the next level until I was comfortable. Keep at it... it will come to you.. just dont give up!
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Like other have said, take your time. Stay on week 1 longer, slow pace jog, get lungs and legs use to it.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As others have said, SLOW DOWN! Many training plans for beginners recommend running at a conversational pace, or a speed where you're not too out of breath to hold a conversation.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all of the above. Slow down and be patient. I am 30 and when I started I was over 200 lbs now I'm 189 and I'm beginning week 6 tonight! I will say that I felt miserable for the first 3 weeks. I thought I was gonna puke, faint, die and then after week 3 is just seemed to get easier. Hang in there!
  • JScar1964
    JScar1964 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying and do not give up. Good luck.