Failing at C25K

Options

Replies

• TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I second (or third or whatever) slowing down. You should be able to have a conversation while you are running. The endurance will come with time. I found when I first started that I was pushing WAY to hard. I was cramping, out of breath and hated it all. I reread that I needed to be able to talk and found that I had to slow down A LOT to do that. I was trying to run much faster than my body was ready for. I tried several times and "failed" for two years. When I finally started again, I slowed down and now am up to running 6+ miles at one time. Also, set a goal for yourself. Sign up for a 5k before you start. That way, you are motivated to keep going.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I'm fairly new to running, but I've listened to similar advice, take it slow, don't go out running every day. This past week I was able to achieve my goal of running 5K. I did not use c25k for the most part, I did do a couple sessions, but was so far in to self training that I didn't need it. And for the record, I'm 8 years older and a good hundred pounds heavier than you OP, so if I can do it, for sure you can :happy:
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yeah the same thing happened to me:) I completed Insanity twice and thought man I should be able to run with no problem. Well needless to say when I got on the treadmill and hit the 6mph button I only lasted a minute before my lungs felt like they were going to EXPLODE! So now I am working my way up from 5mph:) Last night I ran 2 miles straight at 5mph and will keep at 5mph until I can do 3miles straight without stopping. Then I will speed up til I can do a 10minute mile which will take quite a while. Just keep at it and dont give up!! You dont FAIL at something just because the first time you try it you dont do it well. You only FAIL if you dont do it at all!!
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes I was unable to complete it. I've moved on to other workouts like Kettlebell, & 30 DS
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    As others have said, SLOW DOWN! Many training plans for beginners recommend running at a conversational pace, or a speed where you're not too out of breath to hold a conversation.

Conversational pace is not just for beginners. Most of my mileage (maybe 85%?) is done at that pace. That is where you build your aerobic base.
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad at all. I am on week 2 of trying to complete week 5 of the program. Slowing down has helped .
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    c25k is all about endurance not about speed.

After week 9. You can go back to week 1 day 1 and use it for intervals. after you make it though, you won't even remember how bad this hurts right now! Welcome to the running addiction!
  • jeshhh
    jeshhh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm also 25 and not really overweight, and today is Week 2 Day 2 of C25K for me. I noticed that Week 2 is definitely harder than Week 1 when I went out on Monday, but I'm looking forward to tonight. I've had to slow myself down because I get so caught up in the idea of pushing myself and burning as many calories as I can... and I have to remind myself that the goal ultimately is being able to run the 3.5-mile race I signed up for in June, even if it's slow-going right now.

Feel free to add me if you want a C25K buddy! Same offer to anyone else!
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I failed at C25K as well. I have no idea what it is about running that gets me. I do want to eventually be able to run a 5k but I am not doing C25K again. I think when you do C25K, you do need to focus mainly on that and there are too many other things that I am doing right now that I'm not ready to give up to do the jogging program. I get a much better workout doing 1 hour of spin class than I would doing 30 minutes of walking/jogging intervals and while I do want to be able to run, I don't have a deadline or any goal to focus on when it comes to it.

Instead, what I just recently started doing is going for a 1 mile jog/walk combo a couple of times a week. I jog for as long as I can (very slowly...like 12 minute mile pace) followed by walking until I feel like I can jog again. I am able to jog for longer periods of time and walk for less time. Just make sure to push yourself a little each day to jog a little more than the time before. I prefer this because it only takes 15 minutes to do, I know I am building up a little endurance for running, and it doesn't interfere with spinning or anything else.

Maybe eventually I will actually enjoy jogging and replace some of my classes with it but as of right now, it isn't really my thing. I just want to be able to get more out of it for days where I show up to the gym and my class is full.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I've had to slow myself down because I get so caught up in the idea of pushing myself and burning as many calories as I can...

With running, slowing down a bit has you out there longer, so you'll burn even more by slowing down. :)
  • jeshhh
    jeshhh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've had to slow myself down because I get so caught up in the idea of pushing myself and burning as many calories as I can...

With running, slowing down a bit has you out there longer, so you'll burn even more by slowing down. :)

Hmm... I figured that since C25K is for a set amount of time (I listen to a podcast that tells me when to walk, jog, etc. and each episode is ~30 min) I should get as much burn in as I can! Ha. But I understand what you mean.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone probably said this..but I will say it anyways.. run as slow as you possibly can..almost as if you could walk faster. That is the main reason I kept failing at it..I was trying to sprint..

Good luck :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    A little over two years ago I was 50 pounds overweight and was inspired to try Couch to 5k by a friend...I couldn't do one minute intervals, I could only do 15 seconds of running at a time and then I'd walk a few minutes. I ended up using a combination of Couch to 5k and Jeff Galloway's run/walk method and simply tweaked the intervals to meet my needs until I became more fit and could run more. If you really want to learn to run, just take it slow. Slow your pace (as a beginner, if you're so out of breath that you cannot give short responses to questions, you're probably running too fast) and decrease your interval times to less than one minute. Couch to 5k is a great program, but you're not "failing" at it if you tweak it to meet your individual needs.

Good luck and happy running!

Edited to add that CarsonRuns' statement about "conversational running" not being just for beginners is right on!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, you only fail if you give up! This was not a fail!!

I never officially did C25K, I did something like the above poster...I ran as long as I could, whether that was 15 seconds or 30 seconds or 2 minutes, then I walked. Every couple of days, I would increase my running interval times but kept at the same speed. And eventually I was able to run a full mile, then 2 then 3! Give it time and be patient with yourself!

If you're running outside, there are some tricks for pacing yourself.
    One, keep your feet under you. Long strides mean you're exerting much more energy and trynig to go too fast. Keeping your feet under you will force your to take shorter strides/jog.
    Two, time your breathing with your foot falls. Inhale/exhale with every 2 or 3 footfalls. This keeps you slow since you can't run faster than you can breathe.
    Three, make sure you're hitting the ground mid-foot, not heel striking
    Relax your shoulders, keep your body in alignment, keep your hands above your waist.

if you're listening to music, try to find some slower paced songs if you think that's what 's speeding you up too much.

If you feel faint, stop and walk regardless of whether you've hit that minute mark or not. Passing out is just not a great idea!
    Make sure you've eaten enough and keep hydrated - these will both help you keep your energy up.

For now, just worry about endurance. Once you hit your goal of running 5k (even if it takes months), then you can start working on your speed.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    OK... you need to read my play by play of C25K. It took me 3 or 4 tries just to get through W1D1. I eventually got up to running 50 minutes (after I switched over to C210k). I wrote a journal entry after EVERY workout (at least until I had to stop due to inflammation). I'm wanting to start up again soon!

Here's the link: http://c25k.cze.dk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1042

Trust me... everyone has a hard time. My advice would be to slow down. You should be able to jog at a pace where you can breathe - my "running" speed (and I use that term lightly) was only about 1/2 mile faster than my walking speed. Distance/Time first - speed will follow.
  • dtroutman
    dtroutman Posts: 62
    Options
    I downloaded it on my phone and tried it a few times last week I could never do the whole 30 minutes. I made maybe 2 cycles but I havent exercised much and am very out of shape. It just seemed ridiculously hard to me.
  • chelsearosess
    chelsearosess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh lord, yes. I had to repeat several weeks multiple times. I couldn't even sustain running for 30 seconds when I first started (I was NEVER a runner in my entire life). Yesterday I went out and ran for 24 minutes straight. I promise, if you stick with it, you WILL be able to do it. If I can do this, anyone can!
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I am overweight and have managed to complete C25K. Runners come in all shape and sizes, keep that in mind. I was given the advice to repeat the workout if you can't finish it instead of moving on with the next one. There were weeks I had to re-do a workout, or I stopped running for a week so instead of going to the next workout or doing the previous one, I did intervals of walking and running five minutes each.

One thing that has really helped me with getting more out of my runs has been cross-training, specifically spinning. Spinning has helped my endurance like CRAZY! It's a great workout and compliment to running.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Keep going. 15 months ago I couldn't jog more than 30 seconds or so. Can now do 12 kms. Anyone can learn to jog : )
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in March and failed out in week 3. I was trying to go too fast and tore my calf muscles. After working with a PT, doing some gait changes, and slowing down, I'm killing it. I just started running again last week and I'm having no problem running 25 out of 30 minutes now. Granted, snails may be passing me, but I can't increase my speed until I increase my distance substantially. You can do this.