I'm going to scream

Options

Replies

• 19andneverthesame
    Options
    Drink a lot of water! You might be gaining muscle, but losing weight is a science you will lose weight according to your calorie deficit. Try the sauna, just keep on keeping on the weight WILL come off if you stick to the plan. Maybe using measuring cups to make sure your portion sizes are right.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP: Cals in vs. cals out. treats everyday are fine, if they fit your caloric intake and macros (fat/carb/protein) profile. As for more meals/day. You can eat 12 or 1 and it will make very little difference if any, for weight loss (energy levels etc. may be affected though)

And you will not be gaining any noticeable amount of muscle in a caloric deficit, but you could be retaining water which makes you scale heavy, but its not fat. drink water to reduce water retention.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It's probably time to reassess what you have been eating and what activities you are doing to ensure that you are working your full body and nourishing your body properly.

If you want to lose fat faster its better to work those muscles and work them hard, increase your protein intake and decrease your carb intake. Reduce the sugar as much as you can and try your best to no include refined sugars (this includes consuming bread and pasta, they are full of carbs and that is because they are full of refined sugars and are very processed and generally contain a lot of sodium)

I found I lost inches faster and the weight was coming off more regularly when I ate a diet that was nearly 50% protein and had at least 20% fat for my macros. And I am going to be returning to this eating routine again this weekend so when I start my vigorous new exercise program I will be giving my body what it needs to burn fat and calories more efficiently.

It's a fantastic idea to take a step back and read all about what your body needs, how to lose overall body weight/fat and how to make better choices both at home and in restaurants to meet your bodies macro and micro nutrient needs :) Don't get discouraged, get informed and keep trying!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the average body can't handle much more than 500 calories in one meal, and that anything over that will be stored as fat. This is why it's a good idea to split up your calories intake into 3 or more smaller meals a day, rather than eating it all in one meal. I don't know the science behind that, but it does seem to make sense that your body has a limit on how much it can metabolize at once. So maybe that might help.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You should be eating more than 1786 doll.
    [/quote]

and eating back my calories?
  • lluulluu
    lluulluu Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i've added you as a friend - so i can help you out
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Your diary is open so there's no way to assess for sure. 80% of weight loss is what and how much you eat so I'd have to see that to know for sure.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If you are logging your calories accurately, you may need to have your thyroid checked. Best of luck to you. I am sure it is horribly frustrating.

Very good point if you arent seeing loss with that type of activity level it could be something more serious. Get to the doctor and get some lab work done. Let them know that you are gaining weight.

You havent started on any medications have you even something as benign as a consistent allergy pill? Do you have any heart or lung issues?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    IT IS SCIENTIFICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GAIN WITHOUT SUFFICIENT CALORIC INTAKE. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    [/quote]

That is quite scientifically incorrect. I suggest the OP research the medical branch of "metabolism" and then make up her own mind.

What you eat matters. Many of us have metabolic issues (excessive fat storage is a metabolic issue!), and HORMONES play the biggest role in fat metabolism. Hormones are affected by WHAT you eat. Really. No, it's not the fat, it's the carbs, especially sugar; and yes, even the "natural" sugar in fruit.

Do what works for you! But seeing all the advice here that doesn't at all mention that WHAT we eat matters; well, I just wanted to share my view because what I eat makes all the difference for me. And I'm talking about HEALTH, not just weight loss.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Any chance you're pregnant?

I'm serious.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the average body can't handle much more than 500 calories in one meal, and that anything over that will be stored as fat. This is why it's a good idea to split up your calories intake into 3 or more smaller meals a day, rather than eating it all in one meal. I don't know the science behind that, but it does seem to make sense that your body has a limit on how much it can metabolize at once. So maybe that might help.

Wherever you heard that, don't listen to them again. It's utter nonsense.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Any chance you're pregnant?

I'm serious.

There is a very, very slim chance that I could be. I am on the birth control pill and have never missed a period. We'll see if I miss one. It should start next week.
  • Hoosier_Kat
    Hoosier_Kat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think I'm eating between TDEE and BMR.

You think, but do you know?

I've checked before and yes. TDEE is 2610 and 1786.95 is my BMI for the weight I'm at now. So, I should be eating at least 1700?

If these numbers are accurate, then you should NOT eat less than the 1786.95 (basically 1787). Doing so consistently can actually slow your metabolism as your body is not getting enough calories to sustain it's basic activities, You should be eating 15%-20% less than your TDEE (the maximum number of calories you can eat without gaining weight), which means you should be eating 2218-for 15% or 2088-for 20%. Since your TDEE should be based on your activity level including exercise, no you would not eat back the exercise calories, UNLESS you do some major activity/exercise that is not in your normal routine and is on top of your normal activity level. I would also suggest alternating cardio with strength training and trying to eat a higher level of protein. I try to keep my protein level around 100g. (50% carb, 20% protein, 30% fat)

This helped it make sense for me, and it's what I've been trying to follow. Have been seeing results every week, even on bad weeks.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

***Edited to add link***
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Also, don't only eat one meal a day. Try to eat 3 healthy meals (watch your portion size) and 3 healthy snacks, like an apple, or a peice of cheese. Let your body know it's not starving. I can't see your diary... How is your sugar intake?

It's fine to eat one meal a day. Losing weight is not dependent on frequency (eating six meals a day) or timing (not eating after a certain hour). The food should be healthy and the dieter should create a calorie deficit.
  • Blueyedtine
    Blueyedtine Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do eat fruit so my sugar intake is high.

fruit isn't your (or anyone else's) problem for not losing weight.

limit processed crap. go with lots veggies and lean proteins. cihcken breast, fish etc. break up your meals into smaller ones.

have a treat once a week. enjoy yourself and make it a lifestyle.

my 2 cents

Agreed!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley. I agree with another that post that, eating at a deficit since January, you should not be gaining. I would suggest a couple weeks of being very consistent with your meals/calories. Weigh/measure/log everything, and prepare your meals at home as often as possible. If there are items you use regularly, be sure to confirm the nutritional information for them, because there is a ton of inaccuracy in the food database (like the coffee my sister was having three times a day that was actually totaling 630 calories). 1500 calories + eating back most of your exercise calories is not extreme, by any means. It's actually very reasonable and very sustainable for loss.
  • rreiki
    rreiki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I am at a plateau and can't seem to get off it. I used to be an aerobics and TaeBo instructor and I ask this, how much strength training are you doing? Do your clothes fit differently? You might not be noticing a weight difference because you are gaining muscle mass.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't scream yet!!! Had this same thing happen to me. I was so frustrated. Then someone explained to me (and IDK if it's true but it sure made sense to me) that the working out increases muscle mass. Muscle weighs more that fat. But the increased muscle will cause increased fat burning in the long run. So, although you may notice an increase in weight at the beginning, its actually a good thing if it is increasing muscle. Hope this helps!

To let you know, your body will NOT gain much muscle at a defecit, esp at the defecit she is eating at, so no, she is not eating enough for her exercise level. You need carbs and more energy in order to strength train as well to tone as you lose the weight.
  • rreiki
    rreiki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Being a former aerobics, TaeBo instructor I will say you are absolutely correct. I have issues because I am insulin resistant and I much watch what I eat like a hawk to make sure I don't cause more weight gain. Plus, this issue causes my body to not respond as well to exercise. Also if she is eating the incorrect amount of calories for her metabolic rate and doing all kinds of strength training, cardio, she could actually be causing her metabolism to slow down. Usually happens if eating too few calories needed to sustain body functions and then exercising. The body senses a problem and reacts by going into storage mode. Also if she is eating too many calories and then doing all the strength training, she could be adding muscle along with extra weight. Each person's metabolic needs are so different that it becomes a very intricate balancing act.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I think I'm eating between TDEE and BMR.

You think, but do you know?

Based on your info (25yo female, 5'6", 217lbs) and guestimating your body fat % @ 35, your BMR is 1754. Based on an moderate activity level (exercise 3-5x/wk) your TDEE is 2258.

TDEE - 15% = 1919
    TDEE - 20% = 1806

You are currently eating UNDER your BMR, resulting in no weight loss.

EDITED TO REMOVE THE FOLLOWING "and possible weight gain."