What's the best weight loss / fitness advice you ever got?

Options
Mine was "don't put all that weight on and you won't have to take it off". This is particularly useful for those doing maintenance and tempted to binge. Also, you've got to eat your way to weight loss. If you can't eat the way you are eating now for the rest of your life then you're not being realistic about your dieting strategy.

Replies

• monna32
    monna32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    good one & so true :)
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    "Eat when you are hungry. When you are full, stop."

In other words, its all about portion control
  • andycet
    andycet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't count calories, make calories count - Dolce Diet. Find you can eat clean without skimping on the food.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    "Don't be afraid to push yourself outside of your comfort zone." Since embracing this, I have found that I can do so much more than I ever thought and I LOVE to do it! I also have found this has changed me not only physically but mentally.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    GET A TRAINER.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    dont worry about the number focus on the look

also

its not a diet its a lifestyle
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Don't diet, eat healthy.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Lift up heavy stuff, put it down and repeat and you don't have to go hungry to lose weight (or EatMore2WeighLess)
  • Tenley11
    Tenley11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Hunger is never an emergency" I read it in The Beck Diet Solution and I think of it a lot.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    "Eat like the healthy you, you want to be." So often we are tempted to decrease calories far too much. My healthy fit me (5'4, 145ish pounds with a 25% body fat) needs to eat 1943 calories sitting on my duff all day. I am not that healthy fit me yet, and I have a long road ahead of me. But by taking it slowly and learning to eat healthy foods and have healthy habits, I will get there. My body has taken a beating from me being morbidly obese. I need to be nice to it and feed it properly, not starve it. I lost 47 pounds eating healthy foods, in healthy amounts. Not by starving. I want to reach my goal weight, and not need surgery because I have flabby skin, or gain it all back, or have health problems because I starved myself.

"Eat like the healthy you, you want to be." This body I have is changing, and the more I learn that and forget about fitting into the next size down the better off I am.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    "Dont focus on what you can eat and focus on what you can." Also " Don't worry so much about taking bad stuff out as putting good stuff in"

In other words make your changes slow so you can keep it up
  • dagonee
    dagonee Posts: 10
    Options
    Best one so far was to use MFP.

But I also read something in a John Sandford novel about how most Americans were walking around with two extra car batteries of weight. So I started calculating my excess weight in car batteries. Two down, one and a half two go.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Lose it how you want to live it.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on mfp:

If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry....

wow-that rang true as I am a mindless night snacker!!!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    "stop whining"
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on mfp:

If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry....

wow-that rang true as I am a mindless night snacker!!!!

Like that!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    keep it simple.
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My personal mantra for working out is just, "everyday". If I'm feeling lazy or short on time-I don't exercise for as long. But I still do it every day. It's how I hold myself accountable, and it's an awesome habit!

Also that it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Exercise more.
  • tgcitw
    tgcitw Posts: 19
    Options
    Eat to live, don't live to eat!