My GREEK Yogurt RANT!!! Please read this

Options

Replies

• ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Oh, the days of lowfat yogurt and counting sugar grams from fruit.

I get Greek yoghurt all the time (plain, wouldn't want to be tricked into eating a Hershey's bar..the horror)

and I make sure its full fat and plop a huge chunk of honey into it.

Guess it hasn't killed me yet.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite Greek yogurt "treat" (it does have some carbs, but not too bad): 1/2 c. plain nonfat Greek yogurt, 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder, I T ground flaxseed, 1 T shredded coconut, and 1 T toasted, slivered almonds. I add some Splenda, but you could sweeten it with something else, if you don't want the artificial sweetener.
  • Lormic98
    Lormic98 Posts: 33
    Options
    Another way to flavor plain greek yogurt is to add unsweetened cocoa powder. Tastes good, and the cocoa powder also has anti-oxidant and other healthful benefits.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Not just yogurt, but all foods, I was not aware how much sugar was just in natural foods, like fruit. This tool has really helped give me a better guideline on my eating. I think it's a balance of everything, not just the calories and fat.

This is why this post is ridiculous. The amount of sugar in plain greek yogurt is not detrimental to most people and neither is the sugar in fruit. OPs if your doctor doesn't want you to eat plain greek yogurt then so be it, but it is a great high protein food for most people and fruit is good as well.

I agree with OP that sugar can be detrimental to your health, but the so called "Greek yogurt" she is citing is not Greek yogurt.

She cited plain greek yogurt with low carbs, fat, and high protein as well as yogurt with added sugars as foods with detrimental sugars. I cited plain and made no mention of the other stuff.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just eat store brand plain and add my own honey and what not.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Not just yogurt, but all foods, I was not aware how much sugar was just in natural foods, like fruit. This tool has really helped give me a better guideline on my eating. I think it's a balance of everything, not just the calories and fat.

This is why this post is ridiculous. The amount of sugar in plain greek yogurt is not detrimental to most people and neither is the sugar in fruit. OPs if your doctor doesn't want you to eat plain greek yogurt then so be it, but it is a great high protein food for most people and fruit is good as well.

I agree with OP that sugar can be detrimental to your health, but the so called "Greek yogurt" she is citing is not Greek yogurt.

She cited plain greek yogurt with low carbs, fat, and high protein as well as yogurt with added sugars as foods with detrimental sugars. I cited plain and made no mention of the other stuff.

My point was that the sugary crap she referred to isn't Greek yogurt.
  • RochelleW615
    RochelleW615 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do not agree that sugar is sugar. I love Chobani and it does not spike my blood glucose level ever. All diabetics are not created equal. If I eat a bowl of shredded wheat my blood sugar is higher than if I eat ice cream. Patient know thyself.
  • Karrie85
    Karrie85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had this discussion today and I was shocked!!
    I thought yogurt was yogurt...it was good for you. I always bought the fat free type thinking it was better..woah was I ever wrong.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Ingredients: CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC NONFAT MILK.

CULTURES: S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, AND L. CASEI.

My brand is Stonyfield, organic plain Greek yogurt. 23g of protein, 9g carbs / sugar for 1 cup.

I still have roughly 100g of sugar on an average day, but I try to stay aware throughout the day of how much I'm consuming at once. Diabetes runs in my dad's side of the family. However, I know by exercising regularly and eating healthy 80-90% of the time, my risk for developing diabetes is greatly reduced. Just being conscious of what you eat and taking even 1-2 steps towards preventing it, you can easily prevent type 2 diabetes. Exercise alone is a huge factor.

Edit: forgot to mention, almost always add a tablespoon of real bee honey to my cup of yogurt. If not, put it in a smoothie with frozen banana, pb, almond milk, spinach, unsweetened cocoa powder. Yum. :)
  • peachfigs
    Options
    I had this discussion today and I was shocked!!
    I thought yogurt was yogurt...it was good for you. I always bought the fat free type thinking it was better..woah was I ever wrong.

No. Authentic Greek yogurt is full fat and is much better for you than the usual crap they sell at supermarkets.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    MiO is listed as having less than 2 % of natural flavors. Other listed ingredients are citric acid, propylene glycol, malic acid, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, potassium citrate, Allura Red AC 40, Brilliant Blue FCF 1 and potassium sorbate. Red 40 is banned in some European countries and is not recommended for children. Blue1 has been banned in a number of European countries.

yes, it is much better for you to put that in your yogurt. oh, wait...
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    OP...epic fail using Dannon Greek Yogurt...sorry...but true.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    so u get the plain and add real fruit
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That's so true. I was shocked when I actually realized how much sugar was in the yogurt. If I really want yogurt, I make my own with the plain yogurt.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    and the lite ones have fake sugar
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I buy full fat unhomogonized yogurt, I think its' made with 4% and I add a Truvia, raspberries and 2tbsp of ground roasted flax. Delicious and low in sugar. It's LC friendly because of all the fibre in it too.
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mio has that God awful artificial sweetener in it so it's not much better for you and when it comes to making a choice for the greek yogurts, don't choose the honey one, of course that one will have more sugar. I'm eating the Fage with Strawberry right now and it's got 16g of sugar. Sure that is more than your other yogurt but it's not enough for me to freak out about.

Also look at the amount of sugars that are in your fresh fruits... about the same amount that's in this yogurt and people survive if not thrive on 80/10/10 fruitarian diets. I'm not saying that I agree with it but they do somehow do it. I just think that everything in moderation is the key and certainly 16g of sugar in this yogurt for a normal person isn't too much.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If anyone's interested in my geeky little comparison of a few plain Greek yogurts, here's a Google Sheets spreadsheet that I put together:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al5RZKHzjd6wdEdiU2hoTlgtMFZIY1pGZXE4b1k1OXc&usp=sharing

You can figure out which is best for your personal dietary goals based on different ratios like protein:carbs.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure why anyone's surprised that adding sweet flavoring to plain yogurt increases the carbs and sugar, assuming that sweet flavoring is something other than artificial sweetener or a natural no-cal sweetener like Stevia. Even Siggi's flavored yogurts have increased carb/sugar, and they only add real fruit and agave syrup.

And peachfigs, I kinda think you're confusing "plain Greek" with "authentic Greek". Chobani and Fage are both Greek yogurt. Some of their varieties happen to be flavored Greek yogurt. There are some brands out there, like Yoplait I believe, that are "Greek style", which typically indicates the addition of thickeners (guar gum, corn starch, etc.) to the yogurt itself. Chobani and some others will have pectin or corn starch added to the fruit mixture, but the yogurt itself is the same in those packages as in the plain variety.

And I really think the full / no fat argument's more a question of preference than authenticity. Skim milk, 1% milk, 2% milk, whole milk. It's still milk. Same with yogurt.

Edit: And, for what it's worth, "REAL GREEK YOGURT" -- as in, what you find in Greece, is pretty commonly made from sheep's milk. ;-)
  • peachfigs
    Options

And peachfigs, I kinda think you're confusing "plain Greek" with "authentic Greek". Chobani and Fage are both Greek yogurt. Some of their varieties happen to be flavored Greek yogurt. There are some brands out there, like Yoplait I believe, that are "Greek style", which typically indicates the addition of thickeners (guar gum, corn starch, etc.) to the yogurt itself. Chobani and some others will have pectin or corn starch added to the fruit mixture, but the yogurt itself is the same in those packages as in the plain variety.

And I really think the full / no fat argument's more a question of preference than authenticity. Skim milk, 1% milk, 2% milk, whole milk. It's still milk. Same with yogurt.

Edit: And, for what it's worth, "REAL GREEK YOGURT" -- as in, what you find in Greece, is pretty commonly made from sheep's milk. ;-)

Chobani is Greek STYLE. I can't talk about Fage because I haven't seen it or tasted it.

Also, yes, you're right, real Greek yogurt is often made with sheep's milk. It's gorgeous stuff.

I know the difference between plain and authentic, I just wanted to point out that what people are commonly referring to as Greek yogurt isn't the real thing, and if they want the health benefits of Greek yogurt then they aren't going to get those by eating something like Chobani or Oikos.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Chobani is Greek STYLE. I can't talk about Fage because I haven't seen it or tasted it.

Chobani and Fage are pretty much the same, as are the others I've listed on the spreadsheet above.

Chobani's ingredients are milk and cultures, and their fruit varieties add a jelly/jam-like mixture that includes pectin and guar gum (edited... I mistakenly said corn starch originally).

Chobani's made by straining milk, no thickeners added.

So, while you're entitled to your opinion, that don't make it so. ;-)