Almost hit by a car -- time to invest in lime green shirts

Options
2»

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I was hit from behind last summer by a landscaping truck that did not estimate his turn correctly (I was not on the road). He jumped out and started yelling at me. I am glad there were three witnesses. He left and I called the cops, not because he hurt me to bad but because he verbally abused me for something HE did. He told the cops that I walked into him. Oh boy, the cop that investigated it is MAD. Told me to sue but that is not my style.

Said all that to say this, it caused me a little bit of trauma and I was scared to run by myself outside until yesterday. With all this hard work I am doing getting and being healthy, it would be a horrible shame if I I got killed while out on a run.

We need to take all precautions we can to ensure safety.

That's terrible. I'm glad you're OK.
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    Man with dense cataracts should not be driving! The doctor who is doing his surgery probs shoulda said that to him. At the end of the day, you were at the crossing, even if you were naked (he'd probs notice you more) all cars should stop for you lol

Worse than that, I was halfway through the crosswalk -- in the middle of the road!
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    I'm glad you're safe! I think both of your new rules are good ones.

THAT SAID, I feel like even when you implement safe rules successfully, some dummy is always out there... or we're bound to slip up sometimes! I invested in a RoadID this spring and don't regret it one bit. It has all my personal information on it, so if some unfortunate accident WERE to happen to me, all of my ICE "In Case of Emergency" phone numbers are right on my ankle, along with my name, DOB, and blood type. I don't feel like I need to carry a wallet when I run now, and I can keep a password on my phone where in the past I didn't just in case someone needed to make a call FOR me. I also think it will be a good peace of mind going into all these 5k's, 10k's, and the half marathon I've signed up for this summer... if I get dehydrated or injure myself on the course when I have nothing with me, I'll have all my important info on me for the medical team.

For example, my sister got in a horrible bicycle accident as a kid, and all of her stuff (phone, the small backpack she had on) got thrown a good 30 feet away from her in the accident. She had no way to call for help, and if the circumstances were different, she could have easily lost her phone into a creek or busy road. Fortunately a stranger found her and was able to find her phone and call up "Mom" in her contacts... the best possible outcome of a very bad situation. If her phone had been ruined in the accident, I don't know what would have happened.

Get a RoadID. It's $20, a really sturdy product, and a fantastic little piece of security. I got the anklet, but they have smaller bracelets and running shoe ties available too.

Great comment. I figured the morgue could track me down by my cell phone, but your idea is much better. :)

Great comments from everybody else! Thanks, guys. :)
  • Nah113
    Nah113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to read that you're OK. Talk about having an excuse for not adding cardio to your routine! Still,lime green shirts would make you look funny to the 500 other drivers who didn't run you down.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    so glad you were able to get out of the way! that should be a testament to how great your doing with your exercise :)

i used to walk outside a lot at my old house and it was like taking my life in my hands. i had a woman texting on her cell phone jump the curb and almost pin me against a fence. if i had been listening to music i would have been crushed, but i was able to jump back and get out of the way. now i always make eye contact with the driver, almost stare them down.

i wish you all the luck out there! :)
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I ride a motorcycle and let me tell you.. I have the brightest lights, semi-loud pipes, neon helmet stickers etc but they are just no match for drivers who don't pay attention. The best you can do is be on the offensive and think 2 steps ahead of the cars :mad:
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I wear a bright orange vest and go against traffic so that I can see who's coming. I live in a very rural area, so traffic isn't as bad as it is in the city. Glad everyone that posted about close calls and actual accidents are okay!
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i make eye contact and go, if the motion for me to go.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    glad you're ok! we have to always wear a reflective belt to help with that but it isn't as effective during the day.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    In the summer time, we bike a lot, but our favorite time is towards dusk - we bike to the lake, watch the sunset, then ride along some neighborhoods, back to the trail, and then home. There is lower traffic at that time, but, again, it gets dark.

In our daytime rides we have neon-yellow shirts and neon-yellow jackets. In the evening, we wear the jackets as well. We have added reflectors to our jackets, our helmets, and on the bikes. We have front and back lights on the bikes. Still - we are nearly hit every week - in broad daylight. We are SO watchful of cars that do not stop for the crossings, do not stop at red lights where we are trying to cross, etc.

Also - walkers - it's not enough to wear "light clothes" although it is helpful (I live in the land of "I'm going for a walk around the lake wearing all black because surely cars will see me." Get a neon yellow vest like road crews wear. I always take a small mag light/flash light - not just so I can see where I am walking, but so people can see ME! Even on my bike I have almost hit an "invisible pedestrian".

Be safe out there. Look to your right, to your left - whoever is on either side of you is an idiot.

Edit: I just noticed I replies to this thread last April - 6 days before I was in a bike accident that put me in the hospital for 4 days and in PT for the entire summer. Of course - broad daylight - I hit a parking brick. BUT! I had my ID and phone and everything in my bike bag, so the nice man who saw me crash was able to help me...