Bulging veins in arms and legs from lifting, exercise

tnqnt
tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
Anyone have an explanation for this?

Ever since I really started working out pretty hard, my arms and legs (particularly forearms and lower legs) have bulging veins. They are definitely more prominent while lifting, but still are visible when I am not.

What is the reasoning for this? Is this normal?

Replies

• IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member

Ever since I really started working out pretty hard, my arms and legs (particularly forearms and lower legs) have bulging veins. They are definitely more prominent while lifting, but still are visible when I am not.

Not sure if serious. Post pictures.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    bump
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Yes, its normal. With fat loss you will see things like that pop out. The leaner you get, the more will show. It is different for everyone, so some may not experience this. Go look at bodybuilder pics. They are engorged when you workout, so they are more prominent then.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    4llyj9.jpg
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    When you lift weights you are pumping blood into the area. Plus if you're a newbie you're likely leaning out while gaining muscle.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    4llyj9.jpg

Nasty!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    When you reduce body fat from lifting, it causes the revelation of muscles and the veins on top of muscles. It shows your hard work. When you see the veins pumping while lifting, its because your muscles are doing work and require more of your blood supply to do the work. It's normal.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Nasty!

O.o
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Not sure if serious. Post pictures.

^This. Picts please.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    The picture is nasty.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    In addition to being related to temporarily raised arterial blood pressure and being lean, it's also influenced by age (thinner, less elastic skin as you get older) and genetics (commonly referred to as vascularity). I have always had very prominent veins (the blood banks love me), and when I lost weight they got even more prominent (which is one thing I haven't really loved about getting leaner).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    The picture is nasty.

the photo is quite obviously photoshopped.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Go see your doctor before your veins expload
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    The picture is nasty.

you felt the need to say it twice?

we saw.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yes, it's normal.

Madonna has a very low body fat in that pictures, and she's 50+ isn't she? I doubt she lifts weights. However, lets not "body shame" her either.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    24688d8c8f9ced40461d13d707f80fb7_zps94f517ea.jpg
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    hey OP!

don't worry about the visibility/prominence of your veins. it's likely genetic and possibly due to thin skin! i am incredibly vascular; you can see the veins on my shoulders, chest, hips and legs very clearly... especially if i've worked out that day. it can be a little unsightly in winter (if you tend to be very pale like me), but a little time in the sun come summer will fix that ;)
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    I love veins popping out of my arms... Shows I'm doing something right during my workout! :laugh:
    Though too much would be overkill, fortunately no nasty veins on my head area :drinker:
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    I'm weird but I would love for my veins to start showing! You may now know there is one person on this earth who is jelly lol