Laughing cow

Options
mlcantwell
mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
Hey everyone I am a big lover of cheese and because of the high calories in a lot of my favorite cheeses, and seeing people mention it on MFP, I decided to buy some laughing cow light cheese triangles. I tried one spread on a cracker and it was not super tasty. The processed nature of the cheese leads me to think it would be good melted, like american cheese on a burger. So how do you eat your cheese triangles? I was thinking of adding them to omelets and melted onto chili.

Replies

• m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Choose quality over quantity.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try the Babybel light - they're really tasty, about 40 calories each and 5 grams of protein. Much nicer than Laughing Cow IMO.

They're often on supermarket special offer for £1 for 6.

Dutch Edam is also a lower fat, higher protein hard cheese.

ETA: I also use a lot of cottage cheese, which I often add to omelettes.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I like my cream cheese mixed with chocolate :heart:

I dunno how you cannot like Laughing Cow so I can't really advise here. If you don't like it, don't eat it.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I love Laughing Cow :) I like it in a morning mixed in with some scrambled eggs and some cherry tomatoes :) xxx
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have cheese strings, it gives me my release from cheese cravings and is a good source of calcium and only 69 cals so fits nicely in my macros
  • mlcantwell
    Options
    Choose quality over quantity.
    I try to tell myself only 30 grams of blue cheese, then I can't stop....
  • mlcantwell
    Options
    Try the Babybel light - they're really tasty, about 40 calories each and 5 grams of protein. Much nicer than Laughing Cow IMO.

They're often on supermarket special offer for £1 for 6.

Dutch Edam is also a lower fat, higher protein hard cheese.

ETA: I also use a lot of cottage cheese, which I often add to omelettes.
    Thanks! I saw those as well, I'll try that next. I was actually eating Edam slices in sandwiches recently and was happy they came in about 70 calories per slice.
  • mlcantwell
    Options

I dunno how you cannot like Laughing Cow so I can't really advise here. If you don't like it, don't eat it.
    I meant it was not great on it's own. Like I would never eat a tablespoon of mayo but it's good mixed into things like potato or egg salad. I was just wondering if it added melted cheese goodness IN things.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Haha, a little self control is needed. Or if you love it that much just make space for more cheese. I doubt you'll be able to find an alternative to a good cheese.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I prefer it to sliced cheese on my breakfast sandwiches. Yum!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I had a similar reaction. I won't be buying them again, but I still have a few triangles to use up. I find they're most tolerable spread on Ryvita with some tomato and cucumber added, or in omlets.

I'll be sticking to Babybel Light, light cream cheese, or just regular old cheddar for my cheese fixes from now on. :\
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster that your should try mini babybel light instead. I tend to go for these ones. I tried the laughing cow some time ago and didn't like it either
  • mlcantwell
    Options

Haha, a little self control is needed. Or if you love it that much just make space for more cheese. I doubt you'll be able to find an alternative to a good cheese.
    Im sure i could control myself, but at the moment I'm just not buying certain foods. I just wanted to know if a low calorie, processed cheese could make an meal a bit more exciting. I just want to make some smarter choices and I will occasionally splurge on the higher calorie foods I lam restricting. For example I made some low calorie cookies yesterday (http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/) and while they are nice they won't replace the occasional full fat, buttery, chocolatey cookies I love. I know it's all about moderation but I would rather replace some things, like almond milk in my cereal, then only eat small portions of other foods.
  • mlcantwell
    Options
    I had a similar reaction. I won't be buying them again, but I still have a few triangles to use up. I find they're most tolerable spread on Ryvita with some tomato and cucumber added, or in omlets.

I'll be sticking to Babybel Light, light cream cheese, or just regular old cheddar for my cheese fixes from now on. :\
    I agree with a previous poster that your should try mini babybel light instead. I tend to go for these ones. I tried the laughing cow some time ago and didn't like it either
    Okay thanks guys, I'll probably give it a miss as well, thanks for the heads up.
  • gateauxloseweight
    Options
    Cheddar (the British kind though) is a pretty good option I think and Cathedral city does ready made mini portions. They also do a light cheddar if memory serves me but I'd rather have little of the good stuff than more of something I didn't like!
    I think it also depends what you are eating it with. a nugget of really good cheese with some fresh crudités might help balance out those calories rather than eating it on a thick slice of processed bread.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't force it. Just have the cheese you like, in smaller portions and/or less often, and savour it. I have a nice, sharp cheddar (one of my personal favourites) every day, grated onto salad or a wrap. Fits into my calorie goal fine, and is a good source of calcium, as well as adding a little protein. Laughing cow is... ok but it's so completely different to real cheese, I would never use it as a replacement.

ETA: ok... while I was writing the above, you posted further to say that's not an option at the moment. Ah well. :ohwell:
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I prefer Philadelphia brand cream cheese, but my son loves Laughing Cow. He eats it plain or on crackers. I eat Philadelphia in all sorts of sinful ways...(on shortbread cookie and then topped with half a strawberry is like a mini-cheesecake).
  • slamina
    slamina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mini Babybel light also Philladephia light. Big fan of both of these :happy:

The Philly spread is bit higher fat than the Laughing Cow but more tasty on toast or a jacket potato for my taste buds
  • mlcantwell
    Options
    Cheddar (the British kind though) is a pretty good option I think and Cathedral city does ready made mini portions. They also do a light cheddar if memory serves me but I'd rather have little of the good stuff than more of something I didn't like!
    I think it also depends what you are eating it with. a nugget of really good cheese with some fresh crudités might help balance out those calories rather than eating it on a thick slice of processed bread.
    Thanks for the information, I generally eat cheese with slices of apple or pear not on bread it's just too much cheese! I have to weigh it out then put it back in the fridge!
    If you don't like it, don't force it. Just have the cheese you like, in smaller portions and/or less often, and savour it. I have a nice, sharp cheddar (one of my personal favourites) every day, grated onto salad or a wrap. Fits into my calorie goal fine, and is a good source of calcium, as well as adding a little protein. Laughing cow is... ok but it's so completely different to real cheese, I would never use it as a replacement.
    I honestly had never tried it before yesterday I just thought I'd give it a go.
  • junnieann
    Options
    I have laughing cow almost everyday. Great snack,good in eggs with tomatoes .Babybel is great plain or in cooling. Guess you have to love cheese