The worst meal I ever had was...

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I lol'd at this entire thread!

The only thing that is really sticking out in my mind is the "meatloaf" that was served at 6th grade camp. It was served in a pie tin, no formation, loose meat that I'm not entirely sure what kind of meat it was, and was sitting in about an inch of pure grease. I wouldn't even touch it.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OMG the memories of the microwave cookbook phase my mother went through when she first got a microwave..... slight vomit in my mouth just remembering.. Big shout out for 'the moneys short this week' recipes that include mince, rice, chicken noodle soup with the miscellaneous vegies from the bottom of the crisper.. LOL:laugh:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING WITH GOAT CHEESE

Blasphemy!
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I tried to make one of those mug cakes you "bake" in the microwave. It was like eating hot, oozy brown play dough. Gag.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The one that immediately floated up to the top of my consciousness was a lunch I had at a Filipino restaurant in Chicago's Chinatown ages ago. It was gray and greasy and gristly and not at all tasty. I've had much better Filipino food since.

I've also had some spectacularly awful Greek meals; two of them actually left me with food poisoning so I stopped experimenting with Greek food. (No offense meant to anyone--I like Greek food in theory, just not in restaurants.)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Conch with a side of macaroni and cheese from a box. I was on a tiny island and had no other options than to eat what was put in front of me.

Cooked right, conch is absolutely delicious (assuming that this wasn't cooked right--you may just not have a taste for it.) But I'm from Florida, so maybe it's my nostalgia talking, haha.

I have had it cooked properly, but this was fried and rubbery. I like conch best in ceviche.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Conch with a side of macaroni and cheese from a box. I was on a tiny island and had no other options than to eat what was put in front of me.

Cooked right, conch is absolutely delicious (assuming that this wasn't cooked right--you may just not have a taste for it.) But I'm from Florida, so maybe it's my nostalgia talking, haha.

I have had it cooked properly, but this was fried and rubbery. I like conch best in ceviche.

Conch sashimi is some of the tastiest sashimi I've ever had! At a Cantonese restaurant in Flushing, Queens. Amazeballs. But that's best saved for a different thread.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    When I was about 10 years old, my mother gave me Braunschweiger on toast. I had no idea what it was, but my dad loved it, so I took a big bite, and promptly threw up all over the kitchen floor. Needless to say, she never tried to give me "spreadable liver sausage" ever again. Spreadable Meat?? I still shudder at the thought!
  • freshvl
    freshvl Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Humble pie was my worst meal
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    McDonald's grilled chicken club. The second bite was weird, chewy connective tissue. I tossed it.
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Octopus >_<
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I've had a few weird/nasty experiences with food...Three worth telling - one was tasty, the other not so much and both are my brother's creation

When he was younger (maybe 7 years ago?) my brother tried to make his very first "recipe" - bean salad! He didn't know hwo to read measurements though and ended up putting a CUP of salt in the bowl! You could apparently see some salt grains and we weren't sure how much he put in there at the time...So when we tasted it and it tasted salty like if you went swimming in the sea and had some on your lips? Is when he told us and it was promptly thrown out.

Second incident was a few months ago and caused by inattention -10PM at night he decides to make pancakes and watch TV at the same time. Usually he makes good pancakes but pays more attention..Mom wakes up a few minutes after he starts making' em and tells me to go investigate what's burning...He had lost focus tot he point where he had burnt one side terribly. Smelled pretty badly

And now for the fun/tasty "experiment": 5 years ago, first year of college for me and he had the afternoon off from high school. At the time he downloaded TONS of movies and we'd watch some on the big screen downstairs. one afternoon, he decides he wants chocolate milk so takes out the chocolate powder without reading the label. the mix was for HOT chocolate; not cold. so he stirs and stirs some more and says "It's not mixing!!" So he sticks two servings worth of milk and chocolate mix (All had been put in old Lion King glasses we got from Burger King when we were little) and blends it for a few seconds...

Walks downstairs with a glass in his hands and hands it over to me. I stare at it and he says "I'm gettin' us some spoons!" There was maybe...an ounces worth of chocolate milk? The rest was...mousse. So you ended up with chocolate mousse to spoon out and eat followed by a shot of milk at the very bottom. Good times!
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The worst I ever had was something called Better than a Burger. It came in a box and was a powdery substance that you mixed with with water. It was a meat substitute and was NOT better than a burger. It cooked into tasteless patties with a spongy cake like texture. Gave them to our dogs and they wouldn't touch them. Just sniffed and gave me a 'What the hell is this??' look.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    vegetable lasagna in the crockpot. I used oven ready pasta and my pot is really old, so the noodles were like melted chewing gum and it didn't cook as fast as it was supposed to so it was like a large pot of liquid slop. Uggggghhhhh.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My mothers meat loaf.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It's a toss up- I was an exchange student in high school- we went to England for 3 weeks. On the day we were touring the Cheddar Caves, we were so excited to see a food stand that advertised "American-style hamburgers". Being really naive 16 years olds and homesick, we got some. HORRIBLE. To this day I have no idea what was between the bun. It tasted like really bad salty meatloaf.

One time my ex-bf's friend made this *kitten* on a shingle thing. Not sure what was in it, but OMG. Disgusting.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    A "raw" lasagna from a raw food restaurant called "bliss". Worst. meal. ever.
    They're out of business now. Imagine that.
  • smantha32
    Options
    It's a toss up- I was an exchange student in high school- we went to England for 3 weeks. On the day we were touring the Cheddar Caves, we were so excited to see a food stand that advertised "American-style hamburgers".

I had some pizza in England that was pretty god awful. Like chef boyardee. It wasn't the worst meal though.
  • smantha32
    Options
    Ketchup Chips.

I haven't even had them yet, but I am pretty sure they are going to be terrible.

I tried those in Vancouver! Weird taste to get used to, but they weren't awful. :smile:
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Blueberry banana vanilla protein(bsn lean dessert) smoothie w/ almond milk... I was just experimenting and it came out soooo bad.