WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OK bring it on my dear Vit F buddies. I need recipes! Recipes for EASY things a man will like so he will accept me trying to do some cooking at home instead of this going out to eat 7 days a week. Recipes, web sites, whatever
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Hairy Dieters Cookbook. Very man friendly. Well they are men! You can probably get it from Amazon in the USA. The Spanish style chicken is to die for and you don't feel you are on a diet. Really filling.
    skinnytaste.com has great recipes. Just don't tell him they are slimming as he will never know. You can always give him more potatoes, rice etc to fill him up. I have to feed my DH extra cake because he keeps losing weight.
    Good luck with your new cooking adventure. We are right behind you. Well done for making a start. Even one or two days a week is better than nothing. Who knows, he might end up preferring your food to the restaurants! :laugh:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    well good evening ladies,
    I broke down and bought myself a pedometer today, waiting till I get to the 30 lb mark before I invest in the fit bit flex,I put it on at say 9:30 this morning,ive gotten,5869 steps in, 2.4 miles and by this thing 199 calories,but I dont think so, I broke a sweat and was goin crazy outside today..
    well I will see how this baby work's tomorrow when I go to the gym...
    I feel ok now, but I bet tomorrow a.m. my shoulder's and arms will be screamimg, and I cant take aleve or ibuprophen because of the kidney's .oh well.. like I say to my DD, suck it up,buttercup:wink:
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    OK bring it on my dear Vit F buddies. I need recipes! Recipes for EASY things a man will like so he will accept me trying to do some cooking at home instead of this going out to eat 7 days a week. Recipes, web sites, whatever

I am doing that very same thing. Cooking for a man who likes "man food". But I have no problem with the cooking and recipes, I just have to be more creative in feeding him. Plus, he has several food allergies to boot.
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm I'm not the greatest cook either never was great at it but maybe try some crockpot receipes they are pretty easy and us

usually turn out to be good. I like them because you can be doing other things while your dinner is cooking great for

busy days. I just add a salad or extra veggies for me. Good luck I feel your pain!!!!

juanita in sudbury
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It is official. DH is out of the dog house. :love: He helped me power wash the boat today and the job is done! I am officially no longer grumpy! :bigsmile: The afternoon was, and still is, gloriously beautiful. It is now 65 in the shade on my deck, but it was at least 70 in the full sun on the boat! I wore capris, am soaked, and not cold. :glasses: In other good news, the clock lady will come to my house next Thursday to repair the clock. :smile: I have to admit I'm in danger of getting a very sore back and other muscles, so I'll adjourn to a hot bath and soak my hard working self.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Been reading all the posts and feel caught up for the first time in a few weeks. Got to get out in my garden today and dig in the dirt. First nice day this week.
    I didn't take notes again (sorry :blushing: ) but enjoyed all the advice and inspiration.
    My DH says he loves when I'm "on a diet" because I make such good meals. I like to try new recipes that I get on-line, from MFP friends, in the newspaper or even in magazines. It seems like when we eat out everything is too salty for me. I'm beginning to wonder if something is wrong with me because DH says it doesn't taste salty to him.
    My new pic wasn't from this cruise, it was our 50th anniversary cruise to Alaska with all of our family. OK, I've logged food and exercise today so I feel like I am on the road to recovery! LOL
    I'll do better tomorrow. Where is JaneH? Haven't seen her post lately.
    Sue in TX
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    Good Evening everyone, New to this. Great day on the East Coast minus the fact the the Phillies lost today. Worked in the garden all afternoon then invited our 3 yr old grandson to dinner to give mommy a break. What a charmer, loves to cook, can break an egg with the best of them. I started teaching him to cook when he was 2, now he walks in the door and say "Nana, what are we cooking today?" Just love it. 10 calories under today before I but in my exercise. Yes it was a very good day. Hope everyone could have days like these. Working tomorrow.

Tea
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    OMGosh, I am so glad so many of you enjoyed the pole dancer post. I was hoping that you all would get
    as big a chuckle out of it as I did. :laugh:
    I also must say I am a left over eater, my lunch and dinner today were both left overs.:blushing:
    I am calling it a day, because I’m pooped! Can’t wait till Sunday to have a day off! :yawn:
    Be well Dear friends xox
    Peace~N~Hugs
    Carol in WNY
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: This has been a great day filled with dancing and sunshine :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: The way to not have leftovers is to weigh and measure and cook only enough for one meal…….many of our main meals are an 8 ounce chicken breast (cut in half for a four ounce serving for each of us)—baked in a covered glass oven casserole seasoned with Mrs. Dash (great spices with no sodium), one or two fresh or frozen vegetables measured in proper portion size, and individual salads…..if we have rice, I make just enough for two portions and cook only one yam or sweet potato and cut it in half to share….I eat no bread or dessert, but if Jake wants either I can fix a single portion for him. It might take a bit of trial and error to figure out the right amount to cook for two people with no leftovers but it’s worth the effort.

:flowerforyou: Learning any new skill has to start somewhere so you just jump in and make a small change and bit by bit you are on the road to great success.

:flowerforyou: I don’t think my eating is disciplined as much as it is self preserving…….the more I read about healthy eating, the less willing I am to eat the foods that will slowly kill me silently from the inside. The more I know about the effects of sugar and white flour and fried foods, the more I want to stay away from them and eat only nutrition dense foods that contribute to my health and longevity.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

“The only real freedom a human being can ever know is doing what you ought to do because you want to do it.”
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies. I’ve been very busy so am way behind on all the posts. No time to respond to everyone tonight or likely tomorrow either - but will try. Hope everyone is doing well.

I’m sticking with my plateau busting plan (although I haven’t busted anything yet). Tomorrow will be a challenge as I’m travelling all day for business. Not sure where I’m getting my meals and am not in a position to bring meals with me (although I will have some healthy snack options with me).

For all those struggling – sending you a virtual hug and support.
    Congrats to all those with NSV and weight loss victories.
    Welcome to all the newbies…you found a great group of women.

Robin – glad you rediscovered the joy of music and that at least a couple days a week your work situation will be better

Joyce – its never too late to learn to cook. There are lots of resources out there depending on how you like to learn…take a class, search on-line, get some cookbooks, etc. That Cooking Light Healthy Habits cook book I mentioned last month says that cooking in more is one of the keys to successful healthy eating – because you are in control. They actually have some great cooking basic lessons and a ton of recipes in that book. My DH and I took a cooking class together. He did it for me (I go golfing for him) and he loved it!

Barbie – glad you are feeling better

Michele – I tried Brussel Sprouts for the first time in a long time and we loved them. I used a Cooking Light recipe for Brussel Sprouts sautéed with bacon, garlic and shallots. Everything really is better with bacon. It was only 90 calories a serving and we will definitely make them again. They weren’t bitter at all

Carol/Cooky – thanks for both pictures: for the laugh – just too funny and the inspiration. So how do you post these up?

Sundance – my heart aches for your daughter. I hope this dr. can help her. My plateau busting plan is simple: exercise hard (400+ cal) 5 days and week, yoga 1 day and 1 day of rest. Leave, 320 calories on exercise day (=500 cal deficit) and stick to 1200 on the other days. Make those calories very nutritionally dense (e.g. lots of fruits and especially veggies, lean meat & egg whites, very little in carbs (only whole grains) and sweets only as an occasional treat. I’m hoping this will shake things up. I’m so close to my goal and just can’t seem to get there. I’m am one determined lady right now!!!!

CityJane – so glad you had a wonderful time in Paris

Stingley - the same thing happened to me when I started MFP (also looking to lose that last 10 lbs.). Stick with it. I’m now just a couple of pounds from my goal. Month 2 went so much better and so did Month 3. Now I’m sitting on a plateau but am confident I will eventually get there

Kathy – congrats

Laurel – my condolences – so much loss

Tari – I don’t think what you are doing is stupid at all. You go girl

Have to pack up my briefcase and print a boarding pass. Have a great evening. Jodios
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty upbeat on the board today -- glad most are having a good day.

Work has really ramped up and it will stay this way until mid-October, a slight slowdown to mid-December and then crazy busy at year end. It is trying and exciting all at the same time. I'm just happy we have two new young fellows now to help. Left work about 7:15p and to the gym for a bit. Have to be back in by 7a tomorrow...yawning already!!

Having oatmeal for dinner due to lack of interest -- YOYO for DH, or he can have oatmeal, too.

I noticed the Y is a delivery center for the Good Measure Meals here in Atlanta and now they also have a farmers basket service that you can order from and pick up at the Y. They are really working to promote healthy eating.

sweet dreams...
    Gail, metro ATL
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options

M. – Wow, your work life sounds super-busy, good for you for utilizing “garden therapy” to unwind! Bummer about the dentist, hope this next appt. actually happens! So glad I manage to crack you up, it’s so much more “me” than the brief crying jag I posted

Robin – This is how I now watch the cooking shows I too enjoy so much, by riding my stationary bike (no more watching while sitting on the couch allowed)! So glad you’ll be getting some relief at work starting next week. Have a blast at the Faire.

Kathy(szoo) – Oh, enjoy your DD birthday meal (and good luck with the biscuits)! I too will have my fingers and toes crossed for you in being selected for your dream job Like you I now make “stealth” substitutions of healthy ingredients in old recipes to sneak them by DH who thinks he doesn’t like them

LaurelFisher – Prayers for you, DH and family to provide peace in dealing with these terrible losses.

Lucy – Hope you have a great day on the Walk for Multiple Myeloma. Lost a dear friend to that ugly disease 3 years ago, so the cause is near and dear.

Brooke from Colorado

“When your heart speaks, take good notes.” - - Judith Campbell
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Today was a fun day really nice weather. Took my clients to the zoo hangouts there today than afternoon went to a park
    This Saturday is the autism walk so getting ready to take part in that. It is a 5k I am excited to be a part of this.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,:flowerforyou:
    Started this noted earlier today and have just popped in to the computer room to add notes throughout the day. Didn’t sleep well last night, getting up to go to the loo all night long, grr
    The web ex conference went smoothly today with the doctor. Was a little disappointed that she did not have a better understanding of the school my girls go to. I had all the paperwork in a month early and this included comments from her teachers. She will be sending me and extensive treatment plan for us the parents and the school. The school is going to be the challenge; they don’t seem to understand social anxiety, or how to help. The doctor will be sending a very detailed plan for them to work with her and getting her comfortable in the school environment. I am mentally drained. My daughter did talk to the doctor and has made some progress even after the visit today. She told us that she doesn’t like to order her meal if we go out to a restaurant, because she is lazy! She has only done this 3 times in her life. So, I am praying that this time next year, she will have friends and will over come her social anxiety. :bigsmile:
    I have been taking Barbie’s advice and cook meals the last 2 nights in a row. More veggies, and fruits. Did help that we got our box of organic veggies and fruits from our csa! :drinker:
    Ok, tomorrow is the first of 4 days in a row of work. So, I will just take one day at a time.:sad:
    Have a blessed Friday and weekend. Remember, to think of yourself first! Your health and happiness depend on you! Smile to all you meet! :heart:
    LindaS:flowerforyou: :heart:
    Grandmallie:flowerforyou: - sorry about your heel. Its sucks when you want to go exercise and the ole body wont cooperate. Can you get on a stationery bike without too much pain?
    Amanda:flowerforyou: - enjoy the lovely blue skies. You bring sunshine to my day,especially when I look at your pictures! It gives me hope and strength!
    CityJaneLondon:flowerforyou: - your Paris trip sounds lovely. You really did well and stuck to your eating plan. I am doing a happy dance for you! You are awesome! I would have just given in an enjoyed the food to contents desire, but not helping my health or eating plan. I am so proud of you! This is great determination!
    Carol in WNY-:flowerforyou: that you for the lovely quote- I can use this every day!
    Stingley-:flowerforyou: just stick with it, if your are getting healthier and stronger, then what’s a pound?
    Tammy in VA beach-:flowerforyou: So sorry to hear about your fur baby. That is so hard to see them have seizures, but do they really know what is going on? I know it just breaks your heart, but she has your love and your care, and I bet this is what your pup really knows! Big hug!
    Cheryl-:flowerforyou: thanks for the info re:scholarships. My DD will be a junior in high school in August, so we have not entered into that arena yet. My DD wants to be a lawyer, but she also shoots competitive trap. So, hoping she will get a scholarship to a college/university where she can do both! Loved your family outing and the strawberry margaritas sound so good! My favorite are just the normal flavor, blended with salt on the rim! Oh, yum!
    M:flowerforyou: -what was your yummy dinner? Take care of your back with your garden chores! You will have to post pictures when you are all done!
    Robin:flowerforyou: - I grew up cooking. With a family of 6 kids, we all took turns cooking or helping with the cooking. We also had baking contests. We each would bake something. When my dad came home from work, and after dinner, he was blindfolded and he would taste each of our creations. He would pick the winner. I grew up with Betty Crocker cookbook. I still have one in the house and use it to looks up conversions, or basic sauces etc.I should get into the cooking shows, but cant sit still long enough! I hope you are having a lovely day!
    Katla:flowerforyou: - the clock sounds beautiful! Too bad kids don’t appreciate the beauty and meaning of items like this! Glad you have a sunny day and great plans! Glad your not grumpy anymore!
    Kathy:flowerforyou: - Happy birthday to your DD! Praying for the job at the shelter! Only 1 cheddar biscuit please! Thank you for the kind works about my DD!
    LauraFisher:flowerforyou: - so sorry for the loss of your DH cousin. That is so sad, especially with the two sisters so close together. Thank you for sharing comes meet me in the garden. Praying for you and your family at this difficult time,
    Lucy in DE:flowerforyou: - have a great walk and enjoy your family. Let us know how it goes!
    Tari-:flowerforyou: just hang in there and as Barbie says,”never,ever give up”
    Sue in Texas-:flowerforyou: love the picture of your and DH! How lovely to celebrate your 50th with your family!
    Tea:flowerforyou: - how lovely that you have taught your grandson to cook! He will make someone very happy one day in the future!
    Barbie:flowerforyou: , thank you again for the words of wisdom! They are always talking to me, they have something that I need to hear!
    Jodio:flowerforyou: - wow that is an awesome plateau buster plan. Thank you for the kind words about DD. Thanks for sharing your plan and I hope it works!
    Gail-:flowerforyou: hope you got some rest between that short break at work!
    Liz:flowerforyou: , can’t believe the autism walk is here already! I hope that you have lovely weather for the walk and I can’t wait to hear how you are feeling after the walk! You should be in good shape!
    DeeDee:flowerforyou: - looks like you had a nice long walk! Are you feeling 100% now?
    Megs:flowerforyou: ,- sweet dreams. Hope you get a good nights sleep!
    Jane Hadji:flowerforyou: - where are you my dear friend? Hope all is well. I know you were busy with your DM and DD. You are in my thoughts!
    Jane Martin:flowerforyou: - so glad you are almost out of that house! It wasn't meant to be!:bigsmile::drinker: :drinker:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just wanted to pop in and say Hi - It's Friday yay :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I woke up this morning feeling very tired, but after a quick walk with the doggy I feel quite good. Yesterday I felt drained all day, but I had another early night and feel quite 'positive' this morning - I hope it lasts!

:flowerforyou: Sundance I hope the plan for your daughter goes well and that the school engage with the treatment plan. My daughter says she suffers from social anxiety - she hardly ever goes out (I always thought it was because of the dog that she felt she had to stay in ) but as we've been talking on our dog walks, she had opened up more and has explained how she feels. I feel a bit sad that I didn't realise sooner, I knew she was shy - she hates that word - but didn't realise how bad she was.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie I think it's you that has the sore heel (?) I had plantar faaciatis (sp) a few years ago when doing a walking challenge at work. It was soooo painful, the physio at work gave me a few exercises to help. One was to flex/stretch my calf muscle - you know the one where you put one foot in front of you and stretch bend the other knee and stretch. It helped a bit he also did ultra sound on it too - not sure that helped though. I also bought some soft insoles for my shoes and heel supports. After about a year and a half it went away almost as suddenly as it started. Even now though I have to be careful what shoes I wear.

:grumble: DH has reminded me of the time! I need to get ready for work - I also think he wants to use the computer :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

TGIF :drinker: :drinker:

Take care dear friends

Viv UK
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies - back to grey skies and rain in London - Bleurgh!

I'm a bit perturbed with DH - he has agreed for two of his cousins to come and stay at the end of next week. Normally I wouldn't mind - although I do like our house to ourselves - but it coincides with a super busy week for me when I'm either working, taking dad to the hospital or babysitting the twins. This means that I won't have time to 'refresh' the house. I hate having people visit when the house is less than immaculate (and I am really not the best of housekeepers). Our plan was to go to Brighton to see an exhibition on Sunday, but I'm going to have to stay home and be domestic instead.

Grr.

Rant over.

Three deep breaths .... and let it go.

Ok, I'm better.

BTW - Linda (Sundance) the lashes stay in for up to six weeks. I absolutely love them - they make me feel like a silver screen siren. Definitely worth it if you are that way inclined. I love the fact that I have no make up on at all at present, but still look 'finished'. That extra time in the morning that I don't have to spend in front of a mirror means that I get to do an extra five minutes or so walking. Win win.

Now I really need to do some work so I shall wish you all a good Friday.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    yes Viv it is me with the plantar faciaitis(sp),I do stretches, and I do use the bike at the gym. from all the wonderful ladies who have suffered with this,I know it will be a long long time before it goes away, so I will work around it ,dont have a choice..
    Barbie- i am still very bad with sugar ,I am an addict.. I do really enjoy fruit,I have an apple every day,love all sorts of veggies and fruit.s , I do eat bread but ones that have 35 calories a slice,or flatbreads, or deli flats. One thing I haven't eaten alot of except for like lean cuisine( I know alot of sodium) is pasta.. I do eat cereal too .
    going to order a boot for my foot at night and see if this works.. im off to the gym and then to work, I have to work the next 2 saterdays in a row,
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Well my visit to the doctor turned out to be a damp squib as my blood pressure hadn't really changed a lot. I am now scheduled to have it taken again and have routine blood tests in store which is good as my brother is diabetic 2 and I like to keep a check on things. My chloresterol has always been fine.
    I'm looking forward to losing the next lb as that will take me to 3 stone lost. A stone is 14 lbs. A nice round figure. My DH has said he will buy me a dress for his sister's 60th in June. I hope to have lost a few more by then, so I'm really excited. All my old "best" clothes are now miles too big, which is a huge shame as they were expensive and lovely. Still a new one will be even better. I don't think he knows what he is letting himself in for :laugh:
    I had a look at 30D last night on Utube. I think I could do some of it, but the jumping jacks are a bit beyond my poor old knees! Rainy again here, but at least I haven't had to water the seeds.
    Love to all and for those who have challenges - my thoughts are with you. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie -- get thee to a podiatrist for orthotics for your shoes. They do a world of good! I had severe plantar fasciatis and they kept me comfy (and I stood on my feet all day at work). Now I have some for the Morton's neuroma and they also keep me comfy.

Gail, metro ATL (up way too early and due in at work by 6:30a)