hair loss and stall out

Options

Replies

• cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I didn't answer because I didn't know until someone helped me figure it out..my TDEE is 2078 and my 15% cut would be 1766/day
    Ive been on 1440, 1530, 1780, and as of today back to 1530..it took me awhile to respond because there are over 64 responses to read here..
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    Yes that helps..thank you
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    Wow thats alot to deal with!! Thank you for your response..you might be right.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?

Oops..I see others already mentioned that.
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    How much protein do I average..looks like I usually always take in more than recommended by mfp settings..today 15% of total calories were protein..yesterday 24%...tues..17%...in looking back almost always over
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    Just realized you asked how many grams of protein..today 66..yesterday 141..100..96..83..96..hows that?
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I lost hair too eating 100+ grams of protein and 1800 calories a day. It didn't stop until a few months after I stopped losing weight. It was just one of those sucky things. The biotin seemed to help.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    As you can see, lots of stuff can cause hair loss so but I thought I would throw another cause out there...

Do you live in a wintery state? Stay indoors a lot? Have you had your vitamin D levels checked recently?
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Check your thyroid level..
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am hypo also. I take 200mcg's of synthroid a day. I always worry about losing hair. I was considering the bypass at one time and my stylist told me not to worry because my hair was healthy and I took good care it. It would grow back. I have also used biotin but haven't been for a while. I think I will start again now that I am dieting and losing. I hope you find the problem. Maybe we have a hair loss when we lose a lot of weight and it isn't the time?? I don't know. Best of luck!
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My sister has been taking iodine supplements to address a number of issues including hair loss. She was really distressed about her hair loss and was grossed out about the e mount of hair at the bottom of her shower. Since taking the iodine supplement, hair loss has stopped. Check out this article.http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_The-Silent-Epidemic-of-Iodine-Deficiency_01.htm
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Im a 54 year old female. Started mfp Jan 2012. I've lost 85 pounds. I was losing a pound a week. It suddenly stopped 8 weeks ago. haven't lost anything. Im 36 pounds from goal. I tried upping my calories as suggested. That didn't make a difference. Im up and down with a pound or two but I can't seem to get the losing process going again. I exercise everyday. Aerobics and walking/treadmill.
    The hair loss is very concerning. Does anyone have any answers? And yes, Ive been to my doctor and a dietitian. They don't seem to know either.

A weight loss stall and thinning hair could both be symptoms of hypothyroidism. Have you had your levels checked? A lot of women slip off into hypothyroidism at menopause. I've seen estimates that 40% of post-menopausal women are hypothyroid.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Do you feel energized enough? If not, eat more. Try going on a 15k walk, then step on the scale. Immediate results! I promise. Eat most of it back though, and repeat after you feel recovered. Good for weight loss and stress relief. You'll break through your plateau. If then the hair loss still remains, it's an underlying problem.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    My sister has been taking iodine supplements to address a number of issues including hair loss. She was really distressed about her hair loss and was grossed out about the e mount of hair at the bottom of her shower. Since taking the iodine supplement, hair loss has stopped. Check out this article.http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_The-Silent-Epidemic-of-Iodine-Deficiency_01.htm

Some researchers feel that lack of iodine is behind the virtual epidemic of hypothyroidism. One of the problems is the fluoridation of water. The fluoride ions fill the receptor sites for iodine. OP, do you drink fluoridated water? If you have been drinking a lot more water since you've been dieting (I'm assuming you have been as it is recommended here and under most diet plans) that alone could explain the diminution of thyroid function and a consequent stall in weight loss and hair loss. I don't know why more people don't raise @#* about fluoridation of the water. It is not safe despite all the claims to the contrary. And to make matters worse, it doesn't even stop tooth decay. But no one seems to want to admit that. There was a smattering of articles on how bad it is a few years ago but nothing since then.
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    So many things it could be..thats why Im so confused..thank you for your response..I use iodized salt..I drink bottled water..maybe..who knows..you might be right
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    I have more energy than I've ever had..Im walking 4 miles this sunday for the March of Dimes..I have walked 3 miles many times..5 miles once..exercise 30-60 minutes a day now..usually walking, treadmill,aerobics
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I have more energy than I've ever had..Im walking 4 miles this sunday for the March of Dimes..I have walked 3 miles many times..5 miles once..exercise 30-60 minutes a day now..usually walking, treadmill,aerobics

Well, just losing a lot of weight will do that---we're lugging a lot less poundage around. Are you lifting weights? If you haven't been lifting, you could be at a set point. Only way that I know of to get off the set point is to build lean tissue.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    So many things it could be..thats why Im so confused..thank you for your response..I use iodized salt..I drink bottled water..maybe..who knows..you might be right

Bottled water is usually fluoridated unless it specifically says that it is not.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    ..I do have a thyroid disorder and take medication for it..my levels are normal..I

Do you take Synthroid. Levothyroxine, etc.? One of the side effects is hair loss.