Why do I keep panicking when losing weight?

Options
Hi guys

So I've been losing weight for the last few months but I have noticed this pattern with myself. I will lose 7-10 lbs then my body will slightly freak out and I will eat my way back to the beginning weight and then start all over again.

for example: I weighed 175 then I got to 167 and freaked out and ate my way to 175 again then I got to 160 lbs last week which was a milestone and only 1lb away from no longer being considered medically overweight but then I freaked out & began to panic and overate for days and now I am too scared to weigh myself (but most likely weigh 168ish)

Why am I scared of losing weight? What is wrong with me? Why do I panic when my numbers get lower and lower? This is very strange!!

Anyone else have this problem? Or am I the only weirdo?!!

Replies

• squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't panic when I lose weight, but I do have this thing where I am like "oh 20 lbs lost, let's celebrate with some sh*tty food!!" Last year I lost 22 lbs, then got so happy, I ate 45 lbs back.

This time I lost 33 lbs, got happy, gained 5 lbs but got a grip and lost that again FAST. Don't want to end up like that again!

Could it be that maybe that is it instead of being scared? I can't imagine being scared or panicky about losing weight...
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I understand. You..."panic" when you lose weight? Why? Knowing that you're getting a step closer to your goal/to being healthier makes you panic?
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Can you explain what happens during a 'freak out'?

At first you said your body freaked out, but then you say its you?

Are you just super hungry? Do you just feel a sense of panic and feel the need to eat?

Is it a need to eat food or a need to gain weight?

It sounds anxiety related but it also COULD be that you are dieting far too hard and eating far too little for too long. Does that sound like you?
  • lizchic82
    lizchic82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have felt like this for a long time. I think (in my case) it is because I am used to a certain perception of myself, and when I start to change in my own eyes, and in other people's, I feel like I don't know who I am anymore. So much of my 'personality' is hung up in my weight, if I haven't got my weight to worry about, or feel bad about, or challenge me ,constantly, then who am I suddenly free to be ??? Scary thought - you would think you're be so happy, but it makes me feel quite insecure, as though I don't know who I am anymore. Having a 'weight issue' is such an intrinsic part of me now - unfortunately.

There is also the battle of feeling like you're worth it. So you've lost weight, you've achieved, you have got to the main goal in your life, but then the little voices start asking, do you deserve this? Maybe you're not this person... I feel like I am in an abusive relationship, in which I am constantly choosing to stay in. Which I am not proud of, If a real person made me feel like I made myself feel, I would stay away from them. So I don't know why I let myself believe all the horrible things I tell myself.

I am considering getting some help with this through cognitive behavioural therapy. As I am very aware of why I eat, and succeed and then fail again (2 weeks ago I was near goal at 9 stone 12, I have injured my foot, so haven't been able to run for 2 weeks, and have put on 6lbs - back to where I started!) But having an awareness is only halfway to solving it I think.

Best of luck to you, and if you find the magic answer, please let me know!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think I know what you mean... whenever I drop a little, it feels like my body wants to make up for it by giving me giant craving so that I end up stuffing my face. I'm not as far along as you yet (haven't lost as much), but I'm dealing with it by allowing myself to cheat (to a reasonable extent) for about a day or so, then making up for it in my calories the next day. I'm zig-zagging between high and low calories, but trying to hit my average at the end of the week. It's helped for me.
  • alicevick3
    Options
    I'm no physiologist, but I like to analyse myself and you can decide it you're dealing with some of the same issues. I start freaking out when I lose enough weight that men start to notice me. Not that any one has ever said or done anything. Just looks in parking lots, shopping malls etc. It is so easy to hide behind the fat and not deal with anything. I think I use fat as a shield to keep from confronting things I don't want to deal with. As I lose weight and I feel stronger, more confident, sexier, more like a woman than a girl some part of me goes "Who are you kidding?" and the chow down begins. Clearly I need to work on my fear of having to be a "grown up" and take responsibility for myself and all that entails. I mean, I'm past 50 being an adult should not be an issue.

Good Luck keeping the weight off, I hope my comments helped. If nothing else, at least you can say, well I'm not as crazy as that lady! :laugh:
  • starryfruit
    Options
    I have felt like this for a long time. I think (in my case) it is because I am used to a certain perception of myself, and when I start to change in my own eyes, and in other people's, I feel like I don't know who I am anymore. So much of my 'personality' is hung up in my weight, if I haven't got my weight to worry about, or feel bad about, or challenge me ,constantly, then who am I suddenly free to be ??? Scary thought - you would think you're be so happy, but it makes me feel quite insecure, as though I don't know who I am anymore. Having a 'weight issue' is such an intrinsic part of me now - unfortunately.

There is also the battle of feeling like you're worth it. So you've lost weight, you've achieved, you have got to the main goal in your life, but then the little voices start asking, do you deserve this? Maybe you're not this person... I feel like I am in an abusive relationship, in which I am constantly choosing to stay in. Which I am not proud of, If a real person made me feel like I made myself feel, I would stay away from them. So I don't know why I let myself believe all the horrible things I tell myself.

I am considering getting some help with this through cognitive behavioural therapy. As I am very aware of why I eat, and succeed and then fail again (2 weeks ago I was near goal at 9 stone 12, I have injured my foot, so haven't been able to run for 2 weeks, and have put on 6lbs - back to where I started!) But having an awareness is only halfway to solving it I think.

Best of luck to you, and if you find the magic answer, please let me know!

This is exactly it. Literally the exact same thought process, 'weight issues' are an intrinsic part of me as well. I'm ashamed to say this but sometime I think I'm afraid because once I am slim I won't have an excuse anymore e.g. I didn't get the job because I was too fat, He didn't call back because I was too fat, I can't do x because I'm too fat and I'll stand out and other unhealthy thoughts like that. Once I lose weight it'll be ME they're rejecting and not my fat if that makes sense? and that scares me a little.

But I'm doing my best to combat this with exercise, long walks and lots of charity work.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Why am I scared of losing weight? What is wrong with me? Why do I panic when my numbers get lower and lower? This is very strange!!

Well, I'm going to assume this is an emotional or psychological problem, since you use the language "scared of losing weight." It's not your body doing it to you, but your brain.

Soooo... what have you promised yourself that you'll do once you lose the weight? Because I know a lot of us do that. We say, "Once I lose this weight, I'm going to ..." So what was on your list? Is it possible that you're afraid of what you've told yourself is going to happen once you're skinny?

Because I'm there. I've been in this stupid on/off relationship with a workaholic. Guy works 100+ hours a week, never has time for me. I really love him, but about six months ago, I acknowledged that I have to move on. He's always going to be this great guy who just doesn't see me as a priority. Upon acknowledging that, I said to myself, "Once I lose the rest of this weight, I'm going to go back to dating. Find a new guy."

Boom. After successfully losing 30 lbs in a year, I hit a stall. Then I wasn't just stalling. I was regaining. I regained 12 of the 30 lbs I'd lost. Did that twice. I am FINALLY back to losing weight, because I realized that I was sabotaging myself because I was afraid of going back to dating. Even dating while skinny is a pretty traumatic, emotionally draining experience.

I finally had a breakthrough and changed the official line. I told myself, "Hey, you can go on losing weight. Once you reach your goal weight, you don't have to go back to dating. That's totally up to you. You can just lose the weight and go on reading and walking dogs in the evenings instead of meeting strange men."

Just like that the pressure is off. No need to sabotage myself, because I'm not on a weight loss race to misery. I'm just losing weight to be healthier. That's it. Nothing else.

So what are you afraid of, if you lose weight?
  • starryfruit
    Options
    What am I afraid of if I lose weight? Of people treating me differently I guess, fat has been my security blanket for so long and it has allowed me to safely blend in the background and I guess I'm slightly nervous about not being a wallflower anymore and being noticed for the first time in my life.

redscylla.....I think your idea is grand, I have been putting so much pressure on myself to get rid of this fat by a certain date that I truly have been on a weight loss race to misery but I need to realize that this is a marathon not a sprint (saw that on another thread and loved it!) and this is like a journey to healthier slimmer me :)

Thank you all for your thoughts, I appreciate it!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    From your initial post, I was pretty sure you were going to end up concluding that it's a combo of using weight as a crutch/identity crisis of having trouble separating you from overweight you. I think this is very common in those trying to overcome something holding us back physically or mentally.

I think this is totally normal. This is the kind of problem where it can help a ton just to regularly speak to someone who will be impartial and talk out the uncertainties and insecurities, but I don't think they completely go away until you reach your goal and see how your life changes and doesn't change. I guarantee it will be for the better.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I used to sort of freak out, too. I'd think, what am I going to wear? How can be different from what I am? omg omg, etc. Now with the process slow and steady it is easier to perceive myself, first of all, healthy. I love running so I think it would be a huge benefit if my legs carried smaller weight than now:) Don't despair, maybe taking photos would help? Talk to people, talk to us here. Good luck!
  • Spexs
    Spexs Posts: 4
    Options
    OMG, I can totally relate to this. My "fear" is getting below 200. I think the pressure (given to me by myself) of staying under 200 is what keeps me from getting to onederland and staying there. I recently made my husband hide my scale so I wouldn't get on it every single day. I was hiding it from myself until May 1st. I am thinking, maybe I should do away with it altogether and see if I just keep eating healthy and maintain my level of exercise and see what happens. I bet you I will get under 200, not even know it and get over it! Ooooooooo. Thank you so much for posting your question and for all the comments. I think I am having a real breakthrough here.
    To the original poster, I hope you find out what your fear is and look at it straight in the eyes and find success. Let us know what happens!
  • corriebanks
    Options
    Hi guys

So I've been losing weight for the last few months but I have noticed this pattern with myself. I will lose 7-10 lbs then my body will slightly freak out and I will eat my way back to the beginning weight and then start all over again.

for example: I weighed 175 then I got to 167 and freaked out and ate my way to 175 again then I got to 160 lbs last week which was a milestone and only 1lb away from no longer being considered medically overweight but then I freaked out & began to panic and overate for days and now I am too scared to weigh myself (but most likely weigh 168ish)

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I really needed to see this, too. I freak out when my image in the mirror changes a lot and it seems to change suddenly.

When I was out running the other day, I had this very clear thought: "this is who I am now." It was so strange! I do like the new me, but it's hard when you see yourself one way for so long and then you start making changes.

I've gotten better about seeing the big changes and running to food to "fix it back" but I think it's something that will happen less frequently as time goes on.
  • m_o_
    m_o_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is people start noticing and commenting when I lose weight. I am very much an introverted person so all the attention whether it be good or bad gets to me. The next thing that starts bothering me is I start looking deflated because I have so much fat to begin with that any loss makes me look oddly hallow and some what like a burning wax candle.

All of the issues are because I am not proud of myself and secure with myself. I think that's the biggest thing we forget about weight loss, some of us just aren't ready to be the awesome people we can be.

I do best when I just focus on tasks instead of other people's thinking of me. If I pay attention to the scale, I go nuts. If I just focus on trying to work on me a little, I do okay.

I know a lot of that wasn't a solution to the issue but maybe you are having some of the same feelings.
  • candiinprogress
    candiinprogress Posts: 7,883 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this old thread today. I have only been trying to lose weight (AGAIN!!) for a few weeks, and when I hopped on the scale (maybe mistake #1), I had lost 2kgs (about 4.5 pounds), so not very much (but a great start). And I think, oh well, that was nice, and go back to how I was eating prior, and not caring. I start to freak out about doing well. And I think it is that while I'm fat/obese, I can use that as an excuse for not doing things, rather than getting to a point where I might try and fail on my own without the weight. The mind stuff is definitely the hardest part of losing weight.

I want to lose weight so that I can have kids (I dont have a partner at the mo but thats not the biggest issue at the moment), and I want kids so bad, but perhaps I am terrified of being a bad mother, or it just not working out.

Ugh.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I only have a minute but just wanted to say that I agree and identify with a lot that's been said. I've always been on the heavier side. It's been who I am for so long that when I've lost weight in the past I've had a hard time dealing with it.

I get scared that I won't be able to maintain it. I look very different than I'm used to. People constantly comment on how I look better (did I look that bad before?). They ask me how I'm doing it, which I don't always want to talk about and it makes me feel pressured to keep the weight off even more.

There are a lot of psychological issues I guess. Afterall, many of us became overweight in the first place due to some kind of emotional issue. I always called it "eating my feelings"......
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I experienced something like this after my mother died of pancreatic cancer. She literally wasted away before my eyes rapidly in just 5 weeks. For several years I found weight loss rather alarming in an existential sense... I'm better now. I have a less emotional response with some distance from that particular time.