Gluten free!

Options

Replies

• Sethswife316
    Sethswife316 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with celiac disease May 7, 2012. I've gained about 15 pounds since going gluten free. I know it's my own problem, though, as somebody mentioned above. I had to give up many things that I liked, so I used unhealthy, fattening things as an "I deserve this." I couldn't eat regular pasta anymore, so I'd "reward" myself with a package of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. That catches up with you quickly!

I remember when I was about to be tested for celiac, I thought that it would be good for me health-wise because I would finally would eat healthier (I was NOT considered unerweight at that time). Instead I used it as an excuse to eat chips because....well, I can.

A gluten free diet is a great way to live. If you think about it, it's how we should eat. Nothing processed; nothing from a box. Nothing from the candy store either, though :brokenheart: :laugh:
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    im just starting out and im hoping foir some meal plan ideas and suggestions. im also trying to avoid milk as is the white liquid not all dairy. thoughts, suggestions and ideas are welcome and appreciated!!

I'm 100% gluten and dairy free, among other things like rice, oats, corn and vegetable oils... Its not too bad once you get a few good meals to fall back on. You can still eat all the naturally gluten free foods out there. Meats and seafood, veggies, fruits, oats, quinoa. My kids love rice pasta (the brown rice type) and you can get *most* sauces and things GF. Some things there just aren't replacements for, like canned soup and ranch dressing, at least that I have found. Check out Paleo or Primal recipes, even if they are too "restrictive" for you, you don't have to eat them all the time. There is nothing wrong with having a Paleo meal here or there without committing to that type of diet all the time.

As for milk - just repace it with something else. There are tons of options for people who just want to cut out milk itself, it doesn't get hard until you try and get rid of cheese/butter/sour cream etc. There is rice/coconut/soy/almond, all tasty.
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There are lots of us who aren't average, however lol. And yes, for some of us, gluten DOES cause eating impulsively ... because of chronic malnutrition and a desperate attempt for the body to gain nutrients which end up not absorbed.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free (aside from the occasional slip up). I've got IBS and find I feel much better without it.
    If you want substitutes I find brown rice flour and mung bean noodles are really great. Gluten free bread is rubbish and made from rubbish too. Spelt flour is lower in gluten and makes good home made bread. Gram flour makes amazing pancakes and pie crusts, as does almond flour.

I don't tend to substitute most of the time, and instead eat a lot of sweet potato, cauliflower rice (you can eat regular rice), veg. I dont see how meals NEED gluten in them. You can make stews, chilli's, curries etc. Not everything needs bread or pasta.

This is interesting. I have IBS too. You feel better without the gluten? My doctor recommended cutting out gluten AND dairy. Dairy I find I can't really live without. I have yogurt every day as a snack for protein, when I don't have yogurt I starve at my desk at work and then go to the candy machine for a snickers. It's horrible. I also adore cereal and milk.

So obviously going gluten free you'd cut out bread, but what else? All pastas as well?

Ive previously cut out and re-introduced dairy a couple of times and not noticed a difference, so I do consume dairy. I dont eat bread, pasta, oats, cous cous, barley....and so on. I eat eggs for breakfast, they keep me fuller for far longer. Its made a big difference for me, I get so swollen and feel really sick after eating certain things, so its worth not eating them. I snack on nuts, sometimes fruit, protein shakes and usually ham or some sort of meat.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i think i may be glutose intolerant. or not but i think gluten is a trigger for me to eat impulsively.
    i think i am lactose intolerant but only to milk ifthat makes any sense...

Gluten intolerant*
    and if you were lactose intolerant it would be to all products with lactose in, so all dairy

The lactose thing you said here is not necessarily true...the lactose content in cheese is very different from milk...
  • pomegranatemint
    pomegranatemint Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There are lots of us who aren't average, however lol. And yes, for some of us, gluten DOES cause eating impulsively ... because of chronic malnutrition and a desperate attempt for the body to gain nutrients which end up not absorbed.

Thank you! You know I had this light-bulb moment a few days ago. You know I never put together I was chronically malnourished, but looking back on it, being unwell every second day and having very low calories on those days, made me make bad choices on the days that I felt better.

Now that I am aware of what happens, I hoping I will observe a lot more and make better choices long term.

It's interesting that a lot of migraine sufferers have found relief...I found this article the other day that was quite helpful <a href="http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/02/010213072604.htm">here</a&gt;
  • pishyposhy
    pishyposhy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't had food containing gluten in just over a week and I already feel much better. My bloating issues are almost completely and so is my Rosacea on my face. I am constantly trying to find some healthy gluten free recipes. If anyone has any please share and when I find some I will do the same once I have tried them. Have A Great Day!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that a lot of migraine sufferers have found relief...I found this article the other day that was quite helpful here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/02/010213072604.htm

I've suffered from chronic migraines and chronic daily headache for over 7 years now, and none of the medicines or therapies that the doctor has tried are working. I've heard about some people having success from cutting gluten so that's what I'm trying now. I'm starting by just lowering my intake. It's hard for me to cut it out entirely because I already have trouble finding things to make that I like and aren't too expensive since I'm vegetarian and lean vegan (my boyfriend has a severe dairy allergy so I try to stay away from it too).
    I have been feeling a little better though since I've been cutting down my gluten intake. *fingers crossed*
  • pomegranatemint
    pomegranatemint Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

You can still get gluten free flours, like spelt flour etc It really isn't that much different from normal flour...in fact i think it actually has a better result.

I tend to make what I want rather than buying the final product from the health food store, and so I usually just make one portion, which means that you don't gorge on carby things.

So if I want to have a pancake, I will make just one. If I want to make a muffin, I will just make a serving for one.

I notice if I waiver and do have a slight bit of gluten, I small headache will come along straight away and dissapear about half an hour later.
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No. Because if gluten has been damaging your insides, and causing malabsorption and malnourishment, and you are able to heal up the villi by not subjecting them to a daily gluten-bath, then your villi start working again. Their job is to absorb nutrients. If nutrients are being absorbed, your body knows when to stop eating.AND

I couldn't believe how "FILLING" gluten free bread was when I started making it. I was stuffed with one slice -- in the past I never felt full eating normal bread.

I
    well put it this way- all my trigger foods have gluten in them

But if you ate the gluten free versions of bread, cakes, pastries, pies.... would you still eat compulsively?

Probably.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you were lactose intolerant it would be all dairy foods that would upset your stomach. Cheese, ice cream, yogurt, milk, etc. You're most likely NOT lactose intolerant, your stomach just doesn't agree specifically with MILK.

False.

thank you! its pretty much anything with actual milk that does me in- such as puddings yogurts but cheese is usually ok
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options

But if you ate the gluten free versions of bread, cakes, pastries, pies.... would you still eat compulsively?

Probably.
    I dont eat gluten free versions. i almost bought frozen GF bread but it looked so nasty i decided it wasnt worth spending $6. Also GF oreos? really?
    also i do eat oats plain as in oatmeal.im not ultra strict unless its a high calorie food. Also calories saved from not eating mac and cheese+ at least 4000 in the past 3 weeks
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    No. Because if gluten has been damaging your insides, and causing malabsorption and malnourishment, and you are able to heal up the villi by not subjecting them to a daily gluten-bath, then your villi start working again. Their job is to absorb nutrients. If nutrients are being absorbed, your body knows when to stop eating.AND

I couldn't believe how "FILLING" gluten free bread was when I started making it. I was stuffed with one slice -- in the past I never felt full eating normal bread.

I

Probably.
    No. That isnt how it works.
    Satiety is not based off of calories and gluten has nothing to do with it.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    HAVING to be gluten free makes me seriously pissed off at people who are "doing the gluten free thing"

that is all.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    HAVING to be gluten free makes me seriously pissed off at people who are "doing the gluten free thing"

that is all.

Surely people opting to go gluten free will ultimately lead to more GF food options due to supply and demand?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

that is all.

why?
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options

that is all.

Surely people opting to go gluten free will ultimately lead to more GF food options due to supply and demand?

Yeah, and cheaper prices too. I cannot tolerate any dairy, but if other people want to give up dairy for a non-specific reason it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    If you were lactose intolerant it would be all dairy foods that would upset your stomach. Cheese, ice cream, yogurt, milk, etc. You're most likely NOT lactose intolerant, your stomach just doesn't agree specifically with MILK.

False.

^this

Four people close to me are lactose intolerant and this is TRUE for all of them.

So, false to a doctor? Perhaps. True in my experience? Yes. Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way.

It's plain not true, not all cheeses have much lactose in them, the more aged, the less lactose. Science dear, can't refute it, no matter what your friends say.

Allergy to milk protein, whole different ball game
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    In regards to gaining weight after starting GF. Celiac causes your villi to not absorb, including some fat, that is why poop floats so well when you eat gluten and have celiac. Most celiac patients are skinny, they will put on weight once their body starts to process food the right way.

In regards to people wondering why I get mad about people who "do gluten free" it is because it is viewed as a weight loss diet and it is not one. Especially if you are replacing with the substitutes which are much worse for you than "regular" food, generally speaking. It also makes my medical necessity seem like a fad and people think it is NOT REAL and harp on me to "just eat one bite, not like it will kill you"

rant off/
  • PrimalPixie
    PrimalPixie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to try a Primal or Paleo eating plan (marksdailyapple.com is my favorite website that includes lots of ideas and recipes that avoid wheat/gluten and dairy).

^ What he said. Mark's Daily Apple is where I began. There's also many books on the topic. Google is your friend, in this case. I'm also Paleo, and you will definitely see a difference in how you feel.