Detoxing...

Options
2»

Replies

• ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Are we talking...detox based on whole foods or a juice fast?

Detoxing generally seems like an attempt to undo a lifetime worth of unhealthy habits in a 10 day fast...not so much.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yay for the daily detox thread!

My disdain for humanity is renewed once again.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of sarcastic responses, but really the answer is no.

There is absolutely zero evidence that a "detox" will do anything for your body that a balanced diet can't do.

However, I say if you've got some bad habits you want to break, do whatever you've got to do to get that done.
  • KindredSouls
    KindredSouls Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    54494-Real-Gangsta.gif
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

There is absolutely zero evidence that a "detox" will do anything for your body that a balanced diet can't do.

However, I say if you've got some bad habits you want to break, do whatever you've got to do to get that done.

See, I actually like that even less.
    Forgive me if I'm taking this wrong, but I've seen people here before recommend detoxes basically because they were so unpleasant that they would serve as a form of self-punishment and deterrent against more bad habits.
    That's just a bit sick.
    Self-flagellation is no way of achieving a healthy relationship with food.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Cleanse_zpsb7786007.png
  • GreenChile3
    Options
    I've never done one but I've read some other posts about the subject and the concensus is that detoxing is no good. I think drinking tons of water and eating clean should do the trick
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options

See, I actually like that even less.
    Forgive me if I'm taking this wrong, but I've seen people here before recommend detoxes basically because they were so unpleasant that they would serve as a form of self-punishment and deterrent against more bad habits.
    That's just a bit sick.
    Self-flagellation is no way of achieving a healthy relationship with food.

I think for me that doing something like a detox would be akin to self-flagellation and punishment, but I realize that not everyone has the same personality as me. A lot of people do better quitting things cold turkey or practicing periods of abstinence than trying to practice moderation like I would.

I think people should do what works for them. 5-7 days of a very restricted diet isn't necessarily unhealthy physiologically and if it helps you mentally I don't see the harm.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of going on a detox to solve some issues I've been seeing with my diet. I eat too healthy, and I'm worried I'm not putting enough stress on my organs and it's going to make them weak and pathetic. For my detox I'm going to drink soda in place of water and eat only heavily processed foods. No fresh fruits and veggies for seven days!

I'll let you know my results.

*Retox
  • Katie18660
    Katie18660 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think a 'cleanse' can be positive if done correctly and for short periods of time. I prefer fresh juice cleanses. Gives the digestive system, especially the liver, a rest period. Digestion takes a lot of energy and giving the liver a rest means it can focus on functions such as cleansing blood, etc. While there is no right or wrong answer to this question, my opinion is that whether it is cleansing or our eating habits, it is very personal thing and best to do what we think is best for ourselves. I make no claims to be an expert on this, but I'm a nurse and have education in human anatomy and physiology and it makes sense based on what I know.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this post is referring to detoxing after heavy drug use.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think a 'cleanse' can be positive if done correctly and for short periods of time. I prefer fresh juice cleanses. Gives the digestive system, especially the liver, a rest period. Digestion takes a lot of energy and giving the liver a rest means it can focus on functions such as cleansing blood, etc. While there is no right or wrong answer to this question, my opinion is that whether it is cleansing or our eating habits, it is very personal thing and best to do what we think is best for ourselves. I make no claims to be an expert on this, but I'm a nurse and have education in human anatomy and physiology and it makes sense based on what I know.

How long do I need to stop breathing to give my lungs a rest? High pollution in my city and all.

Surely the cleanliness of my lungs is just as important as my liver.
  • hollyrenee1990
    hollyrenee1990 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Guess I could have done some research before posting. A Girl I work with was wanting me to do one with her. We looked up the "benefits" of it and I now understand why I got such negative feedback. Of course they will post anything to make a buck.

I already do eat pretty healthy besides on my cheat day. Even then I dont junk it. I Only drink water. I will just keep up what Im doing. Thanks for the feedback and saving my money.