Experience Runners how many calories

Options
2»

Replies

• eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    You should be eating double that. I am 5'3" 119 lbs. I'm currently in maintenance and training for a half marathon. I have a semi-active job with walking, and I went for a 5 mile run yesterday. I ate 2600 calories. Before I was in maintenance it would have been around 2300 - 2400.

Don't starve your runs!

You and I are the same height, right now I am at 153 my goal is to get down to 125 -130 but not at the sacrifice of my runs. Thanks for the information back

Yup, I started at 157, so we are pretty similar! We are little and don't require as much food, my BMR is something crazy like 1100 calories, but with running I have never took any chances and always tried to fuel them as much as possible! When I was still losing I think I tried to NET at around 1300 or so, which means I usually ate around 2000-2300 on run days. Like I said though, I have a pretty active job so if running is the only active part of your day I imagine your calories would be more like around 1800 with half marathon training and still losing weight.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, 5'10, 198lbs been running for almost a year now... I am in training for a 1/2 and do full body strength training 3x/wk as well. I eat roughly 1800-2000 calories on work out days and 1600-1700 on rest days. I have been consistantly losing 1.5 - 2lbs/week.

For the amount you do, I would think that you can be 1500-1700 and still lose fat.

Have you calculated your TDEE?

I am 5'3 and currently weigh 153 I want to get down to 125 130 and have been struggling with that.I just got back to running close to a year ago and have done a couple of races. I was looking for a way to change my diet and eat healthier. That is why I used her services I think the foods she is giving are good very clean eating but just too little calories for me.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I realized that it was too low today when I received the plan from her, I have not started the eating plan she just send it to me. I told her that I was a runner and also the other workouts that I do. So I was surprised when I saw the meal plans. I totally agree about the fuel for running therefore my question and my response back to her. She did talk about supplements and the plan that she gave me tells me carbs protein fat etc. The meals look good and healthy my only problem is that calories are too low.

Actually my BMR is 1,363

Ah, I just noticed you've been around here for awhile. Sorry! I normally break these things down into elementary language because most people are new and they dont get it. :flowerforyou:
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    The minimum I eat is my TDEE on a sedentary level and that's a bit above 1600 calories. When I run during the week, i'll add about 200-300 calories to that. When I run on saturday (9-12 miles), i'll add an extra 500-1000 to that.

With that, i've lost about 5 pounds so far this year while training for a half marathon.

You don't want to lose too fast when distance training. You need your fuel.

Edit - I just calculated your TDEE for a sedentary level and it came out at 1752. That's with little or no exercise. I would think eating that, plus 1/2 your exercise calories and you'll be fine.

Thank you for doing that I was about to figure it out. MFP at sedentary has me at 1220 and I have been making sure that I eat most of my exercise calories back. Specially on days with big burns.
  • mrsmegb
    mrsmegb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I normally burn about 550 calories in an hour of jogging at about 5 mph. She has you on entirely too low of a calorie intake, imho. You need at least 1200 (most like more) just for your body to function and that doesnt include your exercise. You need to NET at least your BMR per day- which may/may not be around 1200. That means you need to eat back most of your exercise calories. It is a bit more complicated than this and everyone seems to have a different take on it. My thoughts are that you need fuel for running and you will quickly burn through muscle and tank your metabolism if you aren't eating at least at your BMR. Most personal trainers know enough to get by with a rough diet plan but they aren't technically qualified to. Only dieticians really have the knowledge to do that. The fact that she put you on such a strict diet is a red flag to me. Did she discuss your carb/fat/protein ratios and any supplements and vitamins?

Edit to note that I eat around 1600 calories each day, slightly more on run days. Also, I think your BMR is probably quite a bit higher than 1200-1300. You need to hit between your TDEE and BRM to lose weight. The forums and an online search can help you figure out your numbers and explain what all that means.

Exactly. If you're not getting at least your BMR, you're not going to get anywhere. My husband and I are doing a TDEE cut after reading the In Place of a Roadmap 3.0 post -- and we're doing great. He was stalled and as soon as he ate more, the pounds came off - same with me. If I wasn't working from a TDEE cut, I wouldn't have the energy needed to run. Before doing the cut, I was falling asleep in the afternoon and early evening.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    You should be eating double that. I am 5'3" 119 lbs. I'm currently in maintenance and training for a half marathon. I have a semi-active job with walking, and I went for a 5 mile run yesterday. I ate 2600 calories. Before I was in maintenance it would have been around 2300 - 2400.

Don't starve your runs!

You and I are the same height, right now I am at 153 my goal is to get down to 125 -130 but not at the sacrifice of my runs. Thanks for the information back

Yup, I started at 157, so we are pretty similar! We are little and don't require as much food, my BMR is something crazy like 1100 calories, but with running I have never took any chances and always tried to fuel them as much as possible! When I was still losing I think I tried to NET at around 1300 or so, which means I usually ate around 2000-2300 on run days. Like I said though, I have a pretty active job so if running is the only active part of your day I imagine your calories would be more like around 1800 with half marathon training and still losing weight.

I have a desk job, so the only calories I count are the ones that I burn. my BMR is 1363. I was trying to eat more clean and thought I could do it with the help of this lady. Her plan looks good in terms of the food it looks very clean my only concern is the calories.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I realized that it was too low today when I received the plan from her, I have not started the eating plan she just send it to me. I told her that I was a runner and also the other workouts that I do. So I was surprised when I saw the meal plans. I totally agree about the fuel for running therefore my question and my response back to her. She did talk about supplements and the plan that she gave me tells me carbs protein fat etc. The meals look good and healthy my only problem is that calories are too low.

Actually my BMR is 1,363

Ah, I just noticed you've been around here for awhile. Sorry! I normally break these things down into elementary language because most people are new and they dont get it. :flowerforyou:
    Yes I have been here a while, I managed to get down to 9lbs away from my goal but gained most of the weight back. I stopped logging for a while when I was going through some things. So I just got back and this time I want to finish what I started.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I normally burn about 550 calories in an hour of jogging at about 5 mph. She has you on entirely too low of a calorie intake, imho. You need at least 1200 (most like more) just for your body to function and that doesnt include your exercise. You need to NET at least your BMR per day- which may/may not be around 1200. That means you need to eat back most of your exercise calories. It is a bit more complicated than this and everyone seems to have a different take on it. My thoughts are that you need fuel for running and you will quickly burn through muscle and tank your metabolism if you aren't eating at least at your BMR. Most personal trainers know enough to get by with a rough diet plan but they aren't technically qualified to. Only dieticians really have the knowledge to do that. The fact that she put you on such a strict diet is a red flag to me. Did she discuss your carb/fat/protein ratios and any supplements and vitamins?

Edit to note that I eat around 1600 calories each day, slightly more on run days. Also, I think your BMR is probably quite a bit higher than 1200-1300. You need to hit between your TDEE and BRM to lose weight. The forums and an online search can help you figure out your numbers and explain what all that means.

Exactly. If you're not getting at least your BMR, you're not going to get anywhere. My husband and I are doing a TDEE cut after reading the In Place of a Roadmap 3.0 post -- and we're doing great. He was stalled and as soon as he ate more, the pounds came off - same with me. If I wasn't working from a TDEE cut, I wouldn't have the energy needed to run. Before doing the cut, I was falling asleep in the afternoon and early evening.

where do I find this post you are talking about?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I run about 45 miles a week. For me weighing 135, That's about 4800 calories. That's over a pound burned EVERY WEEK. I usually eat around 3000 calories a day. When dieting, I would never EVER eat less than 2000
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I run about 45 miles a week. For me weighing 135, That's about 4800 calories. That's over a pound burned EVERY WEEK. I usually eat around 300 calories a day. When dieting, I would never EVER eat less than 2000

you 300 calories a day?? I think that is a typo right :)
  • monya21
    monya21 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think you should eat more, and if you do, make sure it's mostly protein. I did the same plan as you and I felt like I wasn't getting enough, and felt faint and run-down. Drink TONS of water too!
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 4 1/2 inches and weigh 128.5...I run 4 miles a day @6.0mph...I also do 1/2 hour kickboxing everyday...I burn around 650 a day ( accoriding to my HRM)...I eat around 1600 calories a day...and have been losing...
    You have to eat at least 1/2 your calories back from working out or else you will not have the energy to work that hard...
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I run about 45 miles a week. For me weighing 135, That's about 4800 calories. That's over a pound burned EVERY WEEK. I usually eat around 300 calories a day. When dieting, I would never EVER eat less than 2000

you 300 calories a day?? I think that is a typo right :)

hahaha 3000** omg!!!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and 145ish (I stopped weighing a while ago), and eat 2100 while not in training (20-25 miles a week). When In marathon training, I up that to 2700.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are paying for a "trainer" to give you an eating plan, you might consider consulting with a registered dietitian specializing in sports medicine. "Trainers" are neither qualified nor licensed to prescribe individual meal plans. SCAN is a subgroup of the American Dietetics Assn that is dedicated to sports nutrition. They have a database of sports nutrtion RDs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    When I started here (a little over a year ago) I was in the midst of training for my spring Half Marathon. I am small, so setting my lifestyle to sedentary and configuring to lose 1 pound per week, MFP had me at 1200 calories. I followed the site's plan of eating back those calories. Most days I was probably within 200 calories of eating them all back. I lost a pound a week for about 12 weeks. There might have been one or two weeks in which my weight stayed the same. This was will running 55 to 70 miles per week.

Edit: I logged the calories that MFP calculated, usually about 90 per mile, I believe.

So how many calories a day would you say you were eating.

Well, my mileage fluctuated daily, so I adjusted my intake accordingly. On average, I'd have to say somewhere around 2000 calories per day gross.