Does anyone else work out two hours a day?

Options

Replies

• UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would focus more on what you eat then adding an extra hour at this point. If you are working out that much you have to make sure that you are eating to fuel your body, and your diary is all over the place. You are already looking very healthy and thin, so if you focus on your food diary and do strength training I think you will be in excellent shape!
  • bf1110
    bf1110 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started out working out for 30 min then started working out for an hr and im slowly making my way up to 2 hrs not intentionally. Its just been nice out and I live in a small community where its lovely to just get out and walk stop and talk to the neighbor. I do think it i helpful because then I dont have to worry so much bout my calories because im burning so many calories.
  • rdjamis
    rdjamis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    agreed
  • eagertoloseweight1
    Options
    I worked out for four hours a day one time
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I do it for 1 hour a day and I am also about to kick it up a notch

I make sure that I eat all my calories alloted to me from MFP which is 1370 then I make sure to eat back at least 1/2 of my workout calories
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I lost 250lbs and while I was doing it, I was working out at the gym 2 to 2.5 hours for 5 days a week, and eating about 2,400 calories. Keep in mind I'm 6'6" and even at my goal weight I'm 240lbs.

For the 16 month I've been maintaining, I still workout about 2 hours/5 days a week at the gym, plus I run or bike 3-4 times a week for an hour at a time. Now I eat around 3,600-4,500 calories depending on the day.
  • meyerstwilight6
    meyerstwilight6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of HIIT 4 days a week plus some strength training. You are eating your muscle away with that much exercise
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do about 1hr 30 minute workouts. I do more cardio than anything, need to add strength to my routine. I do do yoga after workouts to keep my joints and bad leg limber. so that's a little strength training but only do that for 10 minutes max.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i walk 30 minutes each way and then i take an hour class. and sometimes i go back in the evening.

so yeah.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually do 45 minutes/day during the week, and then maybe a little longer on the weekends. I mix up HIIT, biking,walking, family sporting activities, weights, etc. I have not lost that much weight, but I have lost inches and gained muscle and strength. I feel like I have too many other obligations to myself and my family that I would feel guilty if I spent 2 hours a day every day working out. My exercise time is very important to how I feel every day, so I am good about setting aside some time every day to exercise, but not 2 hours a day. Different things work for different people, but many people on this forum have lost weight without doing much exercise.
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 5x a week, for at least two hours. One of those hours will be spinning, and I get some strength training done before/after it, along with a warm up on the treadmill/crosstrainer beforehand. I always eat over 2000 calories on those days (works out to about 30-70% of my exercise calories, depending on the day!) and I've been losing weight consistently enough. On Sundays, it gets up to about 3 hours (special 2 hr spin session haha)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    2-2.5hrs per session 3x a week (no cardio). Not for the purpose of weight (fat) loss. That is what the calorie deficit is for.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    so I think I am going to up my gym time and up my calories and hope the two balance out
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    2 hours..hmmmnnnn make it fun and vary the intensity..I enjoy 45 to an hour a day but its fun playful and only sometimes intense..
    usually when we are stuck its almost alwayd how you are eating!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Not needed. It's actually much more efficient to train harder in a shorter time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,977 Member
    Options
    so I think I am going to up my gym time and up my calories and hope the two balance out

Increasing your calories will make your deficit smaller.
    Increasing gym time will make your deficit bigger.

They don't balance out, they cancel each other out so you're right back to where you started.
    Not necessarily. I don't know the context your referring to considering the quote, but eating more can facilitate extra gym time without creating a bigger deficit, that's not a bad thing. Extra calories consumed may not actually equate to an equal amount of gym time......it could be beneficial in either scenario depending on someones goals.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    2-2.5hrs per session 3x a week (no cardio). Not for the purpose of weight (fat) loss. That is what the calorie deficit is for.

Chris you're doing more powerlifting now right? So you also have long rests, 3-5mins in between sets?

Been PL for a while (but was training for strongman before) but it differs. Currently running sheiko and up to 3mins rest max is all I require for the main lifts. Assistance is usually supersetted and with about 90secs rest to next set e.g. SOHP, then dips with no rest and then 90secs rest at end of dips.

Oh and my rest is typically kicking the heavy bag just cause I love it :happy:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,977 Member
    Options

Increasing your calories will make your deficit smaller.
    Increasing gym time will make your deficit bigger.

They don't balance out, they cancel each other out so you're right back to where you started.
    Not necessarily. I don't know the context your referring to considering the quote, but eating more can facilitate extra gym time without creating a bigger deficit, that's not a bad thing. Extra calories consumed may not actually equate to an equal amount of gym time......it could be beneficial in either scenario depending on someones goals.

Her goals are weight loss. For performance reasons I would agree with what you're saying. I didn't say her deficit would be bigger. I will use a cheap example, she eats 1,300 calories a day and she increases it to 500 calories a day and she burns 500 calories a day(this likely won't happen) she will be at 1,300 net calories, right where she started.

More than likely, she won't burn an equal amount. She will more than likely burn less, it's easier to take calories from diet, not so much easier to burn it off.
    I hear ya. I've never actually counted calories while losing my 60 lbs, now I'm mostly mucking with composition. I found calorie restriction very one dimensional. The method I use now is lift weight. When progress stalls in lift weight, I eat more, not a lot, but more and increase lift weight until I stall again, then repeat that process. I can't be bothered with counting considering the inaccuracies........then again I'm not looking for immediate results, the process is what I like and enjoy, and I'll continue this way indefinitely.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I do. sometimes I do 30 aerobics. 1to 2 hour elliptical, and I ride my bike to and from the gym, total 30 min.
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you and what your workout routine is.. Me and my best friend work out 2-3 hours 7 days a week. but manily cuz we do alot of dancing n when dancing time just flies n doesn even feel like your working out. ive been dancer since i wa young so i know that dancing along with 30-45 mins of strength trainning every other day helps me.

^^^^ This... I did Just Dance and Michael Jackson - Wii for the firs 60 for 3 -2 hrs daily, except Sundays, where I clean and/or play with the kids and Hubby on the Wii...

This last week, (Monday, April 22nd), I was getting bored and started Zumba exhilarate DVD's which I do between 1 1/2 - 2 hrs, depending on if I do the Zumba Ripped ( strength training with Zuma toning sticks) every other day... :smile: