Celexa- Weight Gain or Loss?

Options

Replies

• ShrinkinAmberina
    Options
    Celexa has had no negative effect for me with weight.. I switch to it from Paxil because paxil has more of a change for weight gain... Celexa is one of the least likely drugs for anxiety to negatively effect weight. if you think it is for you then you could speak with your doctor about changing to a drug that is similar.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was only on Celexa for a week or 2 once (didn't work for me) but I had been on various anti-depressants & anxiety medications over the years. (Finally got myself off xanax last year, & even though I still have anxiety it's mostly manageable with changes I made.)
    It is a possible side effect when you go on stuff like that. Everyone has a different reaction, but it's not uncommon.

P.S. I hope you don't consume caffeine. That was a big change I learned to make & it helped immensely.
  • spmoss85
    spmoss85 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been taking it for a little less than a year. It works very well for me. I am
    Kinda a freak about my weight and I know I've gained at least 10lbs.
    I put myself on a 1200 calorie diet, I work out pretty regularly
    and it just won't go away. I'll loose 2lbs and then gain 2. Its really
    Frustrating.
  • 1greatwaxer
    Options
    I started taking Celexa for anxiety during my peri menopausal stage and it was VERY hard at the beginning. I was so tired, had excessive yawning and loss of appetite due to gagging feeling. I am really sensitive to most medication and OTC drugs but my Doctor told me to hang in there and it should pass. I finally had to take one every other day until the worst side affects had passed. I the beginning I had strange feelings in my head, like electric sparks. That really annoyed me but my Doctor still told me to hang in there and take one every other day or cut the pill in half. The pill was too small to cut in half. I lost 12 pounds and have kept 10 of it off for a year. I am pretty much used to it now and I take one daily because every other day seemed to start the side affects over again. I take the pill every day at 12:00 NOON, I use the alarm on my phone for a reminder. It really took about 6 months for me to get used to them. They now seem to make me not want to eat in excess. I really used to think about food quite a bit. I personally hate taking the medication but I have tried natural choices for years prior to my menopause and they helped somewhat. SAME was the best natural OTC I took but I seemed to need more when I reached age 53. I still get mild weird feelings in my head when I try to go to sleep and when I just relax which is always during going to sleep and waking up. Other than that I am always on the go.
  • FVerhagen360
    Options
    I started taking Celexa a year and a half ago and over that time I gained 50 lbs. I can't say for sure the celexa was completely to blame but when I first started taking it I was at my lowest weight and super fit. I had already lost 80 pounds and only had a couple pounds to go. so I kept working on it but I kept gaining. I've had my ups and downs with nutrition and excercise throughout the past year and a half but the weight came on faster than it should of. The doctor lowered my dose a couple weeks ago and I forgot to take it a couple days in a row, so I just stopped taking it (not recommended). In a week and a half, since he lowered the dose, I've lost 5 Ilbs, my lowest weight in 6 months. I didn't change anything with my diet & excercise. I feel great since I stopped taking it, so hopefully it continues. Everyone's different but that's my story.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I took it. It seemed like I gained about 10 pounds when I did. I've since lost that weight. Who knows, it could be just a coincidence.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for three years, and it did not hinder my weight loss at all.
  • Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    Options
    This is an iffy question we get all the time. If you really want to know how likely it is as the cause, then when your in to see your physician ask if he'll pull up the side-effect stats in his CPS or PDR (Canada or US). The statistic is minute, because its not conclusive. Sort of like how anti-depressants 'seem to cause suicide'....or maybe it was depression? Correlation is not cause and effect. The usual complaints are weight GAIN, if your just not LOSING weight, you might want to count yourself lucky to have a medication that is treating your condition effectively and it not seeming to have something to do with thicken you out.

It is best left up to your physician....and YOU! Tell him your concerns, don't let him wave them off (a good tip is "I'll still have confidence in you Dr. So and So if you say you just don't know") and if protocol is being followed than an attempt to take you off them should occur no later than 6 months after treatment became effective.

The thing with psychotropics is that we really just sorta guess how it all works and we don't actually understand how the brain totally works...so....when we mess with your brain we're kind wandering around blindfolded in a wind-chime shop with our arms out and only a vague idea of which direction to go. We're bound to set off a few of the chimes that then set eachother off, and so on and so on.

If your only having sporadic anxiety/panic attacks a short-term/rescue treatment might be an option to discuss with your prescribing physician, rather than a long-term/maintenance treatment. i.e. Lorazepam vs. Sertraline.

Best Regards,
    - Mharren
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was on celexa for 3 years. I gained 80 lbs... Horrible medication for me. Every person has a different experience though. I'm on lexapro now and it doesn't affect my weight.
  • cbingham12
    Options
    im experiencing the same thing, i have been on it for a year and been eating 1600 calories a day and working out daily and the weight wont budge.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    A family member started taking it and lost quite a bit - it reduced his anxiety and thus reduced his anxiety-related overeating.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of Dr's prescribe, but don't necessarily understand all the side effects. I have been on it for almost 5 years now. For sure it contributed to weight gain and my loss has been incredibly slow. I have a love hate relationship with my meds. I'm a happier person, wish in a way I'd started them years before I did, but hate the way I look. I'm working on that part :-)
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I take Celexa and it has help me lose weight. It help's me fight my depression and deal with life. That inludes my weight. Since I have started taking it, I have been so focused on my health. It's done wonders for me.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am on Citalopram which is the generic for Celexa. At first, I was nauseous and didn't want to eat. That went away, but I still lost weight on it. It can go either way.
  • Krissi921
    Krissi921 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This has been an interesting thread to read - I am starting it tonight and I'm so nervous about it. I have surgery induced anxiety (2 major ones in 4 months time) so my dr offered it as a temporary help for me to get through this crazy rough patch. But I am SO scared of the weight gain. Good to know about the caffeine as well, I've been saving a ton of money not making my Starbucks stops 3 times a week!
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been on Celexa for my OCD for 3 months now and I didn't gain any weight. A doctor told me its not the medication that will determine if you gain or lose while on it, but the effects on your humor might change how you eat. Some people eat less when they have anxiety, some more.

Good luck!
  • emandbri
    emandbri Posts: 45
    Options
    I was on it for OCD as well and lost weight, I think it improved my mood in general and I wasn't using sweets as a pick me up. Switched to Zoloft, because of sexual side effects, and gained 5 lbs but then was stable again.
  • sarathrasher12
    Options
    Meds affect everyone differently. However it has been my experience that I lose weight easier while on antidepressants. It makes me less likely to eat for comfort. Sometimes I would get so down on myself I would think about just giving up for the day and pig out. While taking Celexa I am a happier person and I don't feel as much need to binge to get that temporary satisfaction or comfort.
  • missemily1124
    Options
    I took Celexa throughout high school and gained 50 pounds. I can't blame it all on the medication, as I ate everything and was a lazy bum.

Now I'm on Cipralex, which is basically a lower dose Celexa and haven't had any weight issues. Good luck :)
  • theresalucas7
    Options
    I have been on celexa for over a year now, I have found it very hard to lose weight and have gained 40 lbs. I have not changed my eating habits at all and how I am struggling with gaining so much weight... I want to change to something else or stop taking it all together but I do not want my issues to come back... I really like how celexa affects me but at the same time I am not sure if I want to be this big.