What's the best weight loss / fitness advice you ever got?

Options

Replies

• Susieout
    Susieout Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    "One bad meal won't make you fat, just like one good meal won't make you skinny."

"You will never regret a workout."

"It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice."

"When you feel like quitting, think about why you started."

"If you're sick of starting over, stop quitting."

Love this advise
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life.
  • HudaSaman
    HudaSaman Posts: 46
    Options
    " scale is not always right " ..
    My scale always disappoints me ! I feel the change in my clothes and measurements but the scale always late in moving!
  • KSoto2014
    KSoto2014 Posts: 22
    Options
    Bump
  • abs_flower
    Options
    u r right..
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Whenever you are craving something bad, just remember that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. My mom told me this, and I think its the weight watchers slogan or something.....but I love it! If skinny tastes better than bacon or ben n jerrys then I can't wait!!!!

No it's the KATE MOSS slogan!

No, it's way older than that. My mom had it taped to the fridge in the 70's.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    "A year from now you'll wish you had started today"

THIS. Especially since I bought a weight bench and it took me 3 years to start using it, and every time another year went by I kept thinking "DOH!"

and to my embarrassment, the first whole year it sat in the box un-assembled.
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    ''Yesterday you said tomorrow''. No more excuses - just keep doing it until it becomes a lifestyle.
  • brit_lah
    brit_lah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Relearn what portions are (portion control) and relearn how many of portions of what I need to eat each day to have nutritious eating habits.

I've already known about calorie counting for years, but realized at last that I really didn't know much at all about portion control. When I was thin, obviously I intuitively knew but something went wrong when I gained 50 extra pounds. Not only was I eating too much fastfood and soda, my portions got bigger in general (whole box o mac and cheese for dinner anyone?).

The best advice for me concerned portion control.
  • brit_lah
    brit_lah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life.

Now that's a good one to bust people out of those cabbage soup diets and whatnot! LOL
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Only have 1 slice of pizza.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym or workout even when you don't feel like it.....and.....yesterday is done so let it go and start fresh today.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Don't quit. If you have a bad day/week/month/year, don't quit trying!

Don't do anything to lose weight that you're not willing to do for the rest of your life.

You can eat anything you want, just not all on the same day.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on mfp:

If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry....

wow-that rang true as I am a mindless night snacker!!!!
    ^^^Very true! My big problem is night snacking...most times out of boredom or just to make sure I won't go to bed hungry I guess...lol...I will certainly keep this in mind...this simple phrase hit a nerve...thanks..
  • Katie18660
    Katie18660 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Thank you OP! It's a good one to read comments when I'm feeling weak.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water!
    and,
    Eat a single portion and then wait 20 min before deciding about a second.

And of course there was my advice to myself: Step away from the damned buffet you idiot! :-)
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Bump, don't have time to read them all right now but I totally will later
  • JIMCOX70
    JIMCOX70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is the best.
    My doctor told me if I wanted to lose weight, "eat a head of cabbage a day".

It certainly wouldn't leave room for much else. :bigsmile: