How do you conquer night time cravings?

Options

Replies

• mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Eat real food! Real food, unlike processed food, doesn't leave you with witdrawal once digested. The withdrawal may feel like hunger, but hunger comes hours later or the next day. I'm never hungry when I don't eat, evenings included, and when I do eat, it's at regular social times. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you're stressed, bored or cold, have some water or tea. Go for a walk. Cravings are temporary. Figure out your triggers. You'll sleep so much better.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Eat a can of green beans and go to sleep!
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Or, everyone can unplug their tv's, or throw them in the trash. I bet your life would change completely. You'd find more productive things to do instead of veg out.
    I can't do that, because Doctor Who and Game of Thrones.

I second this!

5655399661_f04a61230f_z.jpg

Anyway, to answer OP's question, I agree with chugging some water, and when that doesn't do it, I have a little skim milk instead.
  • hakudoshi82
    Options
    I started taking multi-vitamins every morning at the suggestion of someone else on MFP and it helped a lot with my nighttime cravings.

But I usually drink a glass of water and just go to bed.

If you have a really bad time, drink a protein shake that is low in sugar and high in protein. You'll fill full but the damage is much less then eating other things. And for me, the thought of a protein shake at night isn't appealing so tend to accept if I don't want to eat that I must not be that hungry and just go to bed.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I always leave calories for a snack at night. I wouldn't survive without them! :)
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I munch on raw cauliflower and baby carrots... It's not perfect but it's better than chips, popcorn and cookies.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    stop telling yourself you're bad. fuel is fuel.
    work hard and fuel your body
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a big glass of water and if I'm still not satisfied I have a healthy snack like grapes or some other fruit.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    ok, you have an if i don't eat it i never will get any attitude, and thats simply not the case,
    i know im a closet eater too , mines in my car. i have remedies that have worked , most of the time , like 13 our of 14 days, and on the days i give in , i relax about it, cuz one day isnt worth killing myself for, theres options here.
    leave enough calories available so when you do snack
    its not over goal.
    save that time for your me time, and exercise
    really look into the reasons why that is the time you "need" to snack.
    it it hunger?
    de stressing?
    coping mechanism??
    etc??
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    If you are just eating because it's there, then after dinner, go brush your teeth, floss, gargle some mouthwash.

That works for me. I never want to eat after doing that. It wouldn't taste as good, and then I will have to brush and floss all over again.

I have issues eating dinner if I have a 5pm dentist appt..... hahaha
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Depending on the day, I either eat, go to bed, or craft (it's hard to knit and eat at the same time). Usually though I plan an evening snack into my calories for the day so I rarely end up hungry at the end of the night. If that's when your body wants food why fight against it? I feel like by knowing what I'm going to be eating ahead of time I don't end up craving other things because my mind is already set in a certain direction. And it's usually something good that I look forward to eating, like greek yogurt with peanut butter and chocolate chips.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I eat something I don't want to be craving anything
  • ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That is the same beast that invades my home somewhere around 8 pm. I know that I don't do well ignoring the beast, so I have to feed him and plan for it. I added snacks to my food diary. Lately, it's been Walmart sugar free ice cream sandwiches (110 calories), I make sugar free brownies, low cal sugar free banana pudding with vanilla wafers, sugar free jello cake, pan seared slice of sugar free angel food cake with sliced strawberries, WW recipe for chocolate mudslide shots, low cal ice cream with microwaved no sugar added preserves or chocolate syrup and kashi cereal sprinkled on top. In a bind, I will eat some cereal with splenda or drink 25 calorie hot chocolate with a few animal crackers.

I have 5 kids, 3 home from college, and the snacks and crazy food abound in my house. I've tried stocking the fridge and pantry with choices we both like. Since I've been planning late snacks, the kids have lately started asking "what are we eating for dessert later?" Even if they eat something else, I don't feel deprived knowing that I have my own yummy snack.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'll try the water thing, but my worst comes at 2AM so I'll down a glass of milk. If the "craving" is strong enough to wake me, it is probably hunger.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    If you are just eating because it's there, then after dinner, go brush your teeth, floss, gargle some mouthwash.

That works for me. I never want to eat after doing that. It wouldn't taste as good, and then I will have to brush and floss all over again.

I have issues eating dinner if I have a 5pm dentist appt..... hahaha

along these same lines, if do a session of teeth whitening, or use some kind of natural whitening
    like baking soda, and flossing it discourages the eating.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I save some calories and eat them at night.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    all that being said the best plan is to fit in a little bit of what you really want in your week or day. I have serveral friends who eat some type of icecream or chocolate daily. they just make room for it and workout hard in the gym,
    making sure they've had their protein first.
  • brent_woods
    Options
    You could try some light and healthy snack options. Here are some suggestions:

- 1 Fruit
    - 10 Almonds
    - 15-20 Pistachios
    - Ryvita crackers and hummus
    - Apple & 1 tbsp. peanut butter
    - 1 Fibre bar
    - Veggies with hummus
    - 1 slice whole grain toast with peanut butter
  • charleb19
    Options
    I eat 100 calories of dry cereal (Quaker Oatmeal Squares)-works every night.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Late night eating was an issue for me, sort of an appetite "second wind" after dinner. So I started going to bed earlier. Used to average about midnight, now I shoot for 9:15pm. If I *really* start craving something, then I reach for the light popcorn because it'll fill me up w/relatively few calories.