I can't stop drinking Diet Coke!

Options

Replies

• CeCeRoseGirl
    Options
    I am also a diet coke addict. I was drinking 6-8 a day. I am now down to one a day in the morning when I wake up. I don't really care for warm drinks. I am using it for the caffeine. I started weaning down slowly. It took about a month to get to one a day. They have a Keurig machine at work with free drinks. I find making green tea on ice is helping me with the diet coke issue. I drink a ton of the tea now.

Now to find a replacement for my morning diet coke. lol

Good Luck to you!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I quit Diet Pepsi, then I realized that having it once or twice a week probably isn't going to kill me. Honestly, I enjoy it SO much more when I just have it on junk-food night.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Stop torturing yourself by trying to quit. Just drink the diet coke. There are worse things lol

^^^^THIS!^^^
  • helpthepiggys
    helpthepiggys Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am adictted to Pepsi Max. I cannot go more then two days without it! For me it is harder to quit then smoking.
    My husband say's that's why I loose weight so slowly.
  • hakudoshi82
    Options
    I put fresh squeeze lemon in water and find I love the taste. And I keep diet coke as a treat having 3-4 a week no more then once a day. Makes them all the more rewarding.
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    i stopped drinking coke 2 months ago, i used to like cherry coke and would probably drink at least one can a day sometimes 2, i have always drunk coke so i was surprised that i managed it. the sight of coke makes me cringe now even diet coke, i had a bottle of coke zero which was free, i had it for about three weeks, i kept looking at it but it didn't appeal, i finally decided to take it round my mum's, i had 2 glasses and gave her the rest. i don't drink tea or coffee, one thing i do have once in a while is highlights hot chocolate. if you think that it is hindering your weight loss then you should stop, i find that coke makes me bloated, even diet coke. good luck
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you really wanted to quit, you wouldn't have it around you all the time. Quit buying it.

If you don't really want to, then don't!
  • stefanieboyle
    Options
    I didn't have time to read all the posts, so this might have already been mentioned.

Watch Hungry for Change (it's free on Netflix). That might stop your diet soda addiction! I was drinking several a day but trying to cut back and then I saw the movie...and that did it for me. Also, try some organic Kumbuchas. They have carbonation with lots of flavors. Some are really good and just a few not so much. They are fermented so they stink, so drink with a straw. They've helped me! Or you could try sparkling water. Good luck! Aspartame poisoning is not worth the risk of drinking the sodas!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking it if you enjoy it.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! No one can mess with my diet coke:)
  • edspillane
    edspillane Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies. I agree. The only way in the mornings at least I can avoid it is to not have it in the house. I can't really put my finger on why I want to stop except that it seems to have so many chemicals in it to be drinking it like water.
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to quit all at once and all together just cut back on it and drink 1 or 2 a week. That way you aren't depriving yourself but you aren't drinking it all the time. Another thing you could do which is something I do, is tell yourself you can't have the soda till you have drunk at least 8 cups of water that day. Most likely by the time you reach that you won't want the soda any more.

Coke Zero or Budget Extreme Cola - oh YUSSSSS!! I love that stuff soooo much as much as I HATE water. I have been thinking for some time that I need to increase my water intake and this thread has encouraged me to do this and cut back my cola intake to once in a blue moon.

So thank u guys for the ideas, especially adriadawn19 - and edspillane thanks for bringing the subject up. GOOD LUCK to you.
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    you have just stop all caffeinated beverage.You will go through some serious withdrawal...so you will have to go through that and it won't be pleasant. Drink lots of water or herbal tea.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go through "withdrawal". I LOVE Diet Dr. Thunder (Wal-Mart house brand made by Dr. Pepper) and for many years drank two liters a day, four in summer. Since starting this program three months ago I have had two glasses. All this time there were six bottles in the pantry. If you don't want to drink it, don't. It's not difficult.
  • shewhostamps
    Options
    I stopped drinking Diet Coke at home, but will still have one if we go out to eat. I gave it up for the aspartame reasons as well, and for the expense of it. I found I just had to stop having it in the house, and that water satisfies me most of the time now. We also bought a sodastream, so if I really want something fizzy, I can make a small amount of carbonated water and add some of their aspartame-free flavorings. The lack of caffeine headache was killer for a while. I also agree with what others have said- if it's torturing you, have a Diet Coke and satisfy the craving.
  • rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It took me two tries to give up Diet Coke. So I would advise if you find it hard, pick yourself back up and try again (I will say between the two tries I cut back as much as possible so that it would be easier the second time around).

I will go with it being an addiction. My body wasn't thirsty, I didn't NEED a drink when I was drinking it, and I think that was the turning point. Yes, I've known the health implications for some time but after starting to lose weight and then looking at when I was drinking it (when I was bored, when it was there, when it was offered to me), they aren't actually legitimate reasons for drinking it. To me it became obvious it was a habit rather than a need. I no longer accepted that I should eat food out of habit, so it stands to reason that I shouldn't drink soft drink in the same fashion.

I will say, it was fricken hard, and I was bloody miserable for a good week or two. My husband continues to drink it, so it wasn't as simple as 'this house is a soft drink free zone'. I don't allow my choices to impact on his like that.

I bought one of those water bottles with the filter built into and took it everywhere I went. When I felt the impulse to drink soft drink I would dig out my drink bottle and take a mouthful. The retraining is the hardest part.. I would argue though that it takes the same willpower that you would use to resist sweet or salty or high fat foods. You've trained your body to respond to a certain situation. I can think of countless food related situations where I was only eating something because I was in a certain location or with some people but I will give a non food example:

How many times have we heard of people giving up smoking unable to sit in a pub and have a beer because it brings on the impulse to smoke? Same training.

I can now go out to a restaurant and not be stressed, or if someone buys me a can or a bottle I can smile and put it to one side and its not a big mental challenge not to drink it 'because its RIGHT THERE'.

I would say, I feel better for it. I didn't do it for weight loss reasons, I've lost 75lbs so far and for most of that I was drinking diet drinks, I am doing it though because I don't think I should ever feel like I can not live without something, thats not a healthy connection with anything be it food or drink.
  • caitnessy
    Options
    I love diet Pepsi but my friends pretty much gave me an intervetion for the stuff when they found about all the health issues that can come from aspertane...so that scared me a little and the fact that the aspertane can apprently make your fat cells last longer...not sure how trustworthy the info was....but it was enough to scare me from drinking 3 - 4 cans a day to maybe once a month..H20 all the way :P
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You will have to pry my diet coke out of my cold dead hand.
  • sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm totally a diet coke addict. I just don't keep it in the house, but if I go out to a restaurant or I'm out somewhere and really want one, I'll have it. That way I'm only having it a few times a month. I don't think it's that bad.
  • sugarkane1234
    sugarkane1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm a diet soda addict! I prefer Diet Coke, but I get Diet Pepsi free at work, so I probably drink that more. I also drink at least 8 glasses a day of plain old water. I usually have a bottle of water and a glass of diet soda sitting next to me whether I'm at work or at home. Sometimes I use Crystal Light or Mio. My question is - do Crystal Light and/or Mio use a different type of sweetener than diet soda that makes them better for you? I know Aspartame has a bad rep, do they use something different? Are the diet sodas that use Splenda or Stevia instead of Aspartame better for you?