Well, why can't you?

Options
I'm getting very tired of seeing posts whining that I can't stop bingeing, I can't stop eating or drinking thus and so, I can't stop falling off the wagon...well, why can't you? Is somebody standing there holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat that cupcake or pizza or whatever? Do you really want to lose weight and get healthier or do you want to shovel in pop-tarts? You don't need hand-holding and people constantly reassuring you, you aren't a baby and don't need to be treated like one. If you don't want to do it, muscle up some self control and don't do it, and if you haven't got the self-control, that's nobody's fault but your own. This isn't being harsh, it's REALISTIC. Get some willpower. If you don't you WILL fail. Nobody can do it for you, you have to do it yourself.

Replies

• GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Unless you've had an ED you wouldn't understand.
    Food is literally addictive. Science proves is. Food addicts get
    The same release of endorphins as drug addicts do.
    And why do you care about other people?
    Support people and worry about yourself.
    Be thankful YOU don't have an ED.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's just not that simple.....you don't know the struggles some of these people have been through.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Its like any other problem. Unless you can identify with it, its difficult to empathize. Some people are afraid of mice. I'm not, so I don't really understand it. But I have other phobias that a person with a fear of mice don't...and they wouldn't understand it. But that doesn't mean they ( or me) can just suck it up and get over it. Doesn't work like that.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm getting very tired of seeing posts whining that I can't stop bingeing, I can't stop eating or drinking thus and so, I can't stop falling off the wagon...well, why can't you? Is somebody standing there holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat that cupcake or pizza or whatever? Do you really want to lose weight and get healthier or do you want to shovel in pop-tarts? You don't need hand-holding and people constantly reassuring you, you aren't a baby and don't need to be treated like one. If you don't want to do it, muscle up some self control and don't do it, and if you haven't got the self-control, that's nobody's fault but your own. This isn't being harsh, it's REALISTIC. Get some willpower. If you don't you WILL fail. Nobody can do it for you, you have to do it yourself.

Kind of hypocritical ...I'm sure this is not your first attempted to lose weight.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Actually, this IS my first attempt. I have lost weight before due to work stress, but I certainly wasn't trying.
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate the power of a support system to help people. Some like you might not need it, but others do. Humans are pack animals.Our brains are programmed to succeed as a group.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    God bless you for never having a mental issue that you had to deal with. Some of us have a poor relationship with food. Ignore the posts if you dislike them but no need to judge others struggle just because they aren't the same as yours
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There are different reasons. For instance, I'm an overeater. If it's there, I'll want to just finish it even if I know I'm full. I also eat when I'm stressed, emotional and bored. I've used food as a coping mechanism.

it's not an excuse for being overweight. Not at all.

You CAN absolutely stop binge eating and such, but sometimes it takes time to teach yourself control and to realize that you are just making excuses to continue your bad behaviour.

Good habits take time to create and turn into, well, habits. But I agree that the people who post this need to realize that it's about what they are choosing to do and why, and not blame the food, spouses, environmental stresses, etc. Because you can overcome and accomplish what you want as long as you make a commitment to do so.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't see how this is helpful in the slightest.
    What are you hoping people get from your post?
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You're lucky to have never endured an eating disorder. While of course I hope you never do, I also hope you can open your mind and understand that the "why can't you" is a very deep and difficult question for those who suffer from binging or some other ED. It simply is not that simple. You are not helping anyone by coming here to a "Motivation and Support" forum and telling people who often need therapy and someone to work through this with them that they just need to pull it together. That is not support for someone who has a mental issue that makes them perceive their body in a distorted way.
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    "What are you hoping people get from your post?"

I'm hoping they get the determination to succeed. What else?
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Actually, this IS my first attempt. I have lt weight before due to work stress, but I certainly wasn't trying.

Good. I'm glad you are finally doing it. Just dont mess it up, or you become like us ( people who has tried and failed many times but not giving up) Lol
  • Rbacchiega
    Rbacchiega Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    :huh:

Since when does belittling someone give them the determination to succeed? So you've never had a problem with overeating or food or what have you....why are you here then? You said you wanted to lose weight., so it would be safe to assume you're heavier than you should be. How'd you get there?
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I can see that you are coming from a place of good intentions, but your post doesn't display any of that. I suggest you educate yourself on mental health issues that lead people to have a poor relationship with food and hope that you'll be able to get an understanding even if it's just a little understanding, then reevaluate your post.
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    Reread the post. I am not belittling anyone.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

I'm with you OP. Sure, there are some who have eating disorders but many people are just flat out lazy, sabotage themselves and make excuses.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options

Since when does belittling someone give them the determination to succeed? So you've never had a problem with overeating or food or what have you....why are you here then? You said you wanted to lose weight., so it would be safe to assume you're heavier than you should be. How'd you get there?

Also, I find it interesting that your profile states you have a support system to push you when necessary. If it was really so easy to not fall of the horse and make mistakes every once in awhile, why is it important for someone to help "push" you when necessary? When people binge, it could be for many reasons. It takes some people longer to find their inner strength and they come here to find support to help motivate themselves to make better choices in the future. It's not whining, it's looking for people who can relate and help them on their weight loss/fitness journey.
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options

That's what I was wondering.

"I'm getting very tired of seeing posts whining that I can't stop bingeing"

So you are calling people whiners

," shovel in pop-tarts"

Now you are using negative imagery to describe these people

" you aren't a baby and don't need to be treated like one"

Now you are calling them weak and "baby like" for asking for support

". Get some willpower."

you are implying they have no willpower. You didnt say to get more willpower, you told them to get some

" If you don't you WILL fail"

YOu already made people feel crappy for their binge, so you make them feel incompetent and now you tell them they will fail when most on here are trying their best.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Are you really saying this to the MFP community, or to yourself? I sense some projection going on...
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

That's what I was wondering.

"I'm getting very tired of seeing posts whining that I can't stop bingeing"

So you are calling people whiners

," shovel in pop-tarts"

Now you are using negative imagery to describe these people

" you aren't a baby and don't need to be treated like one"

Now you are calling them weak and "baby like" for asking for support

". Get some willpower."

you are implying they have no willpower. You didnt say to get more willpower, you told them to get some

" If you don't you WILL fail"

YOu already made people feel crappy for their binge, so you make them feel incompetent and now you tell them they will fail when most on here are trying their best.

This.