Well, why can't you?

Options

Replies

• hdkerr
    hdkerr Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unless you've had an ED you wouldn't understand.
    Food is literally addictive. Science proves is. Food addicts get
    The same release of endorphins as drug addicts do.
    And why do you care about other people?
    Support people and worry about yourself.
    Be thankful YOU don't have an ED.

^this. Your post wouldn't motivate anyone that was having a difficult time. Anyone who is failing in their diet already knows he needs to have more self-control. All you basically said is that you are a loser, you are whining like a loser and until quit acting like a loser you are going to fail. Wow Tony Robbins move over b/c he has some real competition here.
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Its like any other problem. Unless you can identify with it, its difficult to empathize. Some people are afraid of mice. I'm not, so I don't really understand it. But I have other phobias that a person with a fear of mice don't...and they wouldn't understand it. But that doesn't mean they ( or me) can just suck it up and get over it. Doesn't work like that.

Well said. Unless you have walked a mile in someone shoes, you don't know what their journey entails. Everyone has their own struggles. Life is hard enough, don't be so judgmental.
  • hdkerr
    hdkerr Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    "I'm getting very tired of seeing posts whining that I can't stop bingeing"

So you are calling people whiners

," shovel in pop-tarts"

Now you are using negative imagery to describe these people

" you aren't a baby and don't need to be treated like one"

Now you are calling them weak and "baby like" for asking for support

". Get some willpower."

you are implying they have no willpower. You didnt say to get more willpower, you told them to get some

" If you don't you WILL fail"

YOu already made people feel crappy for their binge, so you make them feel incompetent and now you tell them they will fail when most on here are trying their best.

EXACTLY
  • SkeletonWishes
    SkeletonWishes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    other people's ways dont really concern you so i dont get why ur so worried or whatever u wanna call it about other peoples complaining abt binging etc and while i do hope you never develop one, you clearly do not have an eating disorder like so many of us do so you wouldnt understand it in the least. :grumble:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Also OP, since this is your first attempt at weight loss, here are some pointers:

Most likely:

- Some days you will have no willpower or motivation
    - Some days you will eat that cupcake or pizza or whatever
    - Some days you will question whether you can even do this for the rest of your life
    - Some days you will fail
    - Some days you will fail so hard
    - And on those days, a little reassurance from your MFP friends goes a long, long way.

Good luck, although since you have a such a black and white view of what changing one's lifestyle and habits for weight loss REALLY entails, I don't think you'll be very successful in the long run.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well my dear, here's to wishing you never have a bad day on here. And here's to wishing when you do, you don't get this thrown back in your face.

Insulting people is never the way to go, when you are kind of in the same glass house.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    You're not really getting it. While some people do make dramas out of small things (OMG I ate 1800 cals today instead of 1200 and I am 1lb heavier, waa waa, for example...) For what you're talking about, bingeing PROPER, It's like comparing feeling down to clinical depression. You only know the extremities of your own experiences, but there are people who have issues within the same sort of thing whose struggle is amplified to something you cannot imagine. That's the only reason I can see for you posting this, because if you could imagine it, you wouldn't have done so.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    it be must feel amazing to be so much better than other people.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Well, it's been 85 days now. I have been under my calorie goal every day, I have never taken a "cheat day" , I have lost weight at each weigh in. I am doing it slowly because I want to do it slowly, as my skin is not young anymore. I honestly have had no trouble sticking to the program. My diary is open, feel free to look if you want to.
    And YES it's a matter of individual determination. None of you are going to rush to somebody's house and yank that fork out of the person's hand. My point is that it can be done. Not easy, but it can be done. I think I made a positive point.
  • thewickedlifter
    Options
    "What are you hoping people get from your post?"

I'm hoping they get the determination to succeed. What else?

Really? Harsh and heartless more like. Not supportive or motivating in the slightest! Who are you, who are any of us to judge one another?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    It's none of your business.
  • KCGettinFit2014
    Options
    Well, it's been 85 days now. I have been under my calorie goal every day, I have never taken a "cheat day" , I have lost weight at each weigh in. I am doing it slowly because I want to do it slowly, as my skin is not young anymore. I honestly have had no trouble sticking to the program. My diary is open, feel free to look if you want to.
    And YES it's a matter of individual determination. None of you are going to rush to somebody's house and yank that fork out of the person's hand. My point is that it can be done. Not easy, but it can be done. I think I made a positive point.

Your diary is NOT open for anyone to view. Doing it slowly and consistently is the appropriate way to get down to a healthy weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. However, your original post was not very nice, considerate or empathetic to anyone. If you never felt the need to eat a little more than you should have or have that slice of cake after a filling dinner, then you would not be signed up with MFP to lose weight in the first place. Really what your post does aside from belittle and degrade others, is point out your hipocracy. I hope that you take the time to ponder your approach and reconsider what you are saying. You never know what someone feels until you have walked a mile in their shoes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well, you must be better than everyone else then...go you for being so perfect.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's so simple, and eating is something that we as race have mastered control over. It's completely impossible to become addicted to food, as it's not comparable at all to drug or alcohol addictions.

People who can't stop bingeing obviously don't want to stop, and lack self control. However, since it's so easy, the majority of people in the U.S. are of average to below average weight, and there is not a single E.D. clinic in all of the world.

A word of advice...instead of ragging on people who are incapable of doing what you so clearly are able to do (and without any trouble, at that), I'd worry about accomplishing your own goals. I for one have met plenty of people on here that are not only hard-working and determined, and their weight is in no way a reflection of a lack of will or self control.
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Saying that your post was meant to tell people "it can be done" is a bit silly. Obviously we know it is possible to lose weight. We are bombarded with enough tv commercials and magazines telling us howsomeone has lost 10-500 lbs. The success stories alone in this web page are enough to let people know that. I don't agree with people saying you will fail. Maybe you won't. I hope you succeed. Some people need some support. Looks like you are doing fine without support. Good for you. For those of us that like the extra helping hand now and again should not be brutalized for it.

The mere fact that a forum and the ability to add friends even exists on MFP shows that some people believe group support can be helpful to weight loss. You have your own path to walk, no need kicking the walking sticks out of other people's hands just because you don't need one.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    "What are you hoping people get from your post?"

I'm hoping they get the determination to succeed. What else?

I am pretty sure your have failed in your attempt to help anyone.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I'm getting very tired of seeing posts whining that I can't stop bingeing, I can't stop eating or drinking thus and so, I can't stop falling off the wagon...well, why can't you? Is somebody standing there holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat that cupcake or pizza or whatever? Do you really want to lose weight and get healthier or do you want to shovel in pop-tarts? You don't need hand-holding and people constantly reassuring you, you aren't a baby and don't need to be treated like one. If you don't want to do it, muscle up some self control and don't do it, and if you haven't got the self-control, that's nobody's fault but your own. This isn't being harsh, it's REALISTIC. Get some willpower. If you don't you WILL fail. Nobody can do it for you, you have to do it yourself.

Some people who binge don't understand about eating enough calories, that they have to eat back exercise calories or their bodies will end up starving and thus want to binge. Most of us are in trouble and need help or we wouldn't be on here -- that's reality.

I work in an office with a hospitality refrigerator. That fridge is always full of cakes, muffins, and cookies. A few weeks ago I was dying for a piece of cake and asked the MFP people to talk me out of it (I asked them to gross me out). After their hilarious posts I not only resisted, but haven't touched a piece of junk food since.

"Willpower" is both psychological and physical. It's the retraining of your mind and body and it isn't easy. I quit smoking many, many years ago and did it with a support system. The people who know they need support are the smart ones.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i find the horse av, paired with the judgy judgy post, highly amusing.
    i cannot help but wonder, about the horse, how high is it?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The horse is just under 15.3.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    that's not nearly high enough for you, m'dear.