Craving Mexican Food, Recipes Required!

Options

Replies

• Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump--I too need spicy recipes that are easy and low carb!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Ole! Topar con....
  • arturo_marti
    arturo_marti Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there ! I´m mexican. And , well, sorry to tell you that fajitas and burritos and chili are not real mexican food.
    :-(

Thats more like tex-mex food, but that is another whole thing. (and I like it too, by the way).

If you want a light and delicious food I could recommend you to google "ceviche de pescado" (fish ceviche, or shrimp) which is a mixture of your choice fish and shrimp with avocado, mayonaise, lemon, salt, pepper and other things, or a mexican shrimp coctail

Here is the "Aguachile de camaron" recipe here, which is really easy and really yummi. (and lots of protein and low calorie!)

You will need

1 fresh cucumber
    sea salt
    18 shrimp (big ones)
    1 rosemary little branch (optional)
    1 cherry tomato (optional)
    8 pieces of REAL MEXICAN LEMON (this is the most important!) Its the small, very green , very acid lemon, used in key lime pie)
    1/4 red onion
    6 tostadas de maíz or a bag of totopos
    2 serrano pepper
    1 jalapeño pepper

You will need :
    Blender

Preparation:

+ Put in the blender the juice of the lemons, the serrano peppers (remove seeds) , the jalapeño (remove seeds) , a bit of salt, and half the onion that you already cutted. Blend.
    + Peel the cucumber (with a potato peeler) , and put 1/4 of the cucumber in the blender too and blend.

+ + Clean and devain the shrimp. Give it a butterfly shape. Put them on a glass bowl.
    + Pour the mix you blended over the shrimp.
    + Cut the rest of the cucumber in slices or into small squares, as you wish. Also the other 1/8 of the onion :-) -- Put over shrimp.
    + Garnish with the cherry tomato and the rosemary branch. (optional)
    + Put sea salt to taste.
    + Leave it for five minutes and eat on tostadas or totopos. (and salsa if you want to!)

Try it !
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating freshly made tortillas and authentic Mexican in near Chicago where it was REALLY authentic. This is the best homemade Mexican I have found. It's a little annoying to get the the recipe but I promise it is worth it. It's called chicken adobo and if you follow this link and click on the 4th picture I promise you will not be disappointed!

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/shop-once-eat-week
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lagray13
    lagray13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight.... Absolutely amazing!!!!
    http://www.skinnymom.com/2012/09/28/skinny-deep-dish-taco-pizza/
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I do love my Mexican! Just ditch the chips (I doubt actual Mexicans use them anyway) make your own seasonings to cut down on the salt and leave out the cheese and sour cream and its all perfectly healthy!

Actually we do eat tortilla chips and call them " totopos ". We don't eat them regularly, but often at a more formal family dinner, with guacamole ( which is a special dish ) and on holidays. What we don't eat, is most the things mentioned in this thread, especially not all that melty cheese on everything. But here in Mexico City burritos are the rage now and I expect people to eat more Tex-Mex food soon.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    If anyone says anything about putting shredded cheddar cheese on mexican food.... I WILL END YOUR EXISTENCE.
    Does chihuahua cheese work for you?

No existences need to be ended, because no matter if it is Cheddar ( which is perfectly fine ) or Chihuahua cheese, we don't use the amounts that are used for Tex-Mex food. Mexican dishes, if requiring cheese, usually use fresh white cheese like Panela, Canasta or other non-melting cheeses. Even the traditional enchiladas have white cheese on them and a little bit of cream maybe.
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • duvella
    duvella Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i'm a huge fan of mexican food. when i started on focusing on what i was eating I started amending my receipes of nacho mince.
    It's gone from turkey mince, to now brown rice (give texture of mince), courgettes, mushrooms onions & peppers. natural herbs & seasonings, home made tomato sauce & baked tortillas - full flavour without the guilt.
    shared with friends & they didn't even notice the difference.

good to see others take on mexican food - why go without

feel free to add me or check out my profile :)
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • LeahKRayas
    LeahKRayas Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi there ! I´m mexican. And , well, sorry to tell you that fajitas and burritos and chili are not real mexican food.
    :-(

Ahh Thank you for saying this! I never liked "Mexican" food until I met my husband who is from Mexico and found out what real mexican food was :) Authentic mexican food can be very healthy but unfortunately for me I love all the unhealthy mexican food too!
    I am actually eating some arroz con leche that I made this morning...yum
  • arturo_marti
    arturo_marti Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes...! Then I recommend you the recipe I posted :-)

Are you from NOLA ? (I saw the fleur de lis on you pic )
    I´m a HUGE Saints fan !

Also, real tacos are a very healthy and delicious food to try. We mexican are very proud of our cuisine !

I´ll keep on posting more traits and healthy food ...

Who Dat !
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Refried Bean Soup

3 (10 oz) cans Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilies (Original)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 (16 oz) cans Spicy Fat-Free Refried Beans
    3 Cups fat-free vegetable broth

Combine tomatoes, garlic, and 1 cup of broth in a large pan; boil for five minutes, stirring often. Stir in beans and broth; simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often.

Serves: 10 (1 Cup Each)
    Per Serving: 110 Calories; trace Fat (0.2% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 725mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:
    1.5lbs chicken breast
    2 tsp oilive oil
    2 cups chopped onions
    1/2 c water
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1.5 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    14.5 oz no salt-added diced tomatoes, untrained
    4 oz can chopped green chilies (drained)
    8 oz tub cream cheese
    12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
    1 cup low fat cheddar cheese (sharp)
    Chopped green onions ( optional )
    Chopped fresh cilantro ( optional )
    1. Preheat oven to 350
    2. Cook chicken covered in a medium sauce pan covered in water and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. ( basically boil) - when finished drain and let cool slightly ( so you can handle it). Shred chicken with 2 forks Ina large bowl.
    3. Heat oil in nonstick pan on medium heat. Add: onions - sauté for approx 5 min ( until translucent ). Add 1/2 of cooked onion to chicken. Place other 1/2 in blender with water, chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper, diced tomatoes, and green chilies. Blend until smooth.
    4. Add 1/2 of tomato mix and cream cheese to shredded chicken. ( mix well). Speard 1/2 cup tomato mix to bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add remaining tomato mix to frying pan on low heat ( to keep warm ).
    5. Place 1 tortilla at a time in pan with remaining tomato mixture. Coat both sides. Remove for mix and place approx 3 tbsp of chicken filling in tortilla, roll up tortilla and place in baking dish. Repeat until baking dish full. When done add remaining sauce over rolled enchiladas. Topp wi cheddar cheese
    6. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 mins. (until cheese is browned).
    7. Topp with green onion and cilantro, if desired.
    - if you like more spice/ heat, add 1-2 chopped jalapeño to tomato mixture.
    Makes 6 servings (2 enchiladas)
    Calories: 449, Fat: 15g, Protein: 38g, Carbs: 40g, Fiber: 4g.
    Gluten free recipe

Soooo good. Not the lowest calorie, but 2 enchiladas is quite a lot....you could probably have one and a side salad and that would be plenty!
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My dad's chili:

Gerry's Chili
    1.5 lbs(.700kgs) of lean hamburger
    1 med Spanish onion
    1 pkg Chili powder(Clubhouse best)
    1 large tin Stokely kidney beans
    1 large tin Hunt's Original tomato sauce
    1 large tin diced tomatoes
    1 large green pepper
    4 or 5 mushrooms
    3 or 4 pepperettes
    2 cloves garlic
    Prepare large pot and add sauce, tomatoes, kidney
    beans and chli powder and start stove on low heat.
    Dice green pepper, mushrooms, onion.
    Use garlic press and add garlic to pot
    Slice each pepperette in half then dice in small pieces.
    Add to pot.
    Saute hamburger and spice with seasoning salt and
    rimmer.
    Saute, do not over cook, maybe until meat is still a little
    red.
    Drain off excess fat and add meat to pot.
    Simmer on low to med heat, stirring every 15 minutes for
    an hour, then allow to simmer an additional 1/2 hour to 1
    hour.
    Ingredients maybe doubled or tripled with larger pot and
    increased cooking time or better use two pots and same
    instructions.
    Per Serving: Calories 222
    Carbs 17g
    Fat 10g
    Protein 16g
    Fiber 5g
    (Those are about 1 cup servings, if you like them a little bigger you could change #of servings to 8)
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya..... L-O-V-E Mexi cuisine!! Looking forward to thumbing thru all of these yuummmy recipes! :flowerforyou:
  • shellr06
    shellr06 Posts: 14
    Options
    lettuce instead of taco shells, FANTASTIC!!!! Now I can eat with my family :flowerforyou:
  • JustMajor
    JustMajor Posts: 17
    Options
    bump
  • kauai71587
    kauai71587 Posts: 1
    Options
    Black Bean Burritos (vegan deliciousness)
    Makes 4 burritos

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
    1/4 cup salsa
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    4 flour tortillas
    1 cup shredded leaf lettuce or spinach
    1 tomato, diced
    Combine the black beans, salsa, and rice in a saucepan and simmer gently for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.

In an ungreased skillet, heat a tortilla until warm and soft, then spread a line of the bean mixture down the center. Top with lettuce, tomato, and more salsa, if desired. Roll the tortilla around the filling, then repeat with the remaining tortillas.

Source and other great recipes:
    http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/recipes/?v=dinner#black_bean_burritos