I have a wee problem

Options
2»

Replies

• Michellenicole35
    Michellenicole35 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

My shoulder hurts like a lot. I don't know how to explain this but it hurts all the way from the base of my shoulder to my neck.

I live on the fourth floor and I don't have any elevator in my block so I have to lift my bike up and down the stairs.

I normally don't have a problem but this afternoon I went for a run and as soon as I raise my arms at an elevation, it hurts like hell.

Does anyone know what it could be and what I could do to reduce the pain?

I have taken a few painkillers a few hours ago and it's not helping. It's sunday night so I will go to my GP tomorrow sometimes but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions pretty please?
  • Michellenicole35
    Michellenicole35 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    id use heat rub or a hot water bottle on it :smile:
  • jennerlnz
    jennerlnz Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Bad idea - a mistake many make, though. Heat is ok on vaguely achey muscles, but a big no-no on acute pain. Ice (no more than 20m in one go) and rest.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Heat and inflammation do NOT go together. InFLAMmation - as in FLAME - that's like applying hot water to a burn, or ice to frostbite. You want to apply cold to reduce the inflammation.

Unfortunately the NHS approach it 'it hurts when I move my arm like this' is generally 'stop moving your arm like that then'. Give it a couple weeks for to heal, with ibuprofen, ice etc and then go and see a sports physiotherapist. If you get a decent GP who offers any imagining such as xrays/ultrasound/MRI(bloody unlikely) then go for it.
    You'll be better off paying for a decent sports physio if that's whats necessary, it can take up to 10 weeks for an NHS physio referral to go through, and then you'll probably end up with someone not good enough to charge private rates.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

Bad idea - a mistake many make, though. Heat is ok on vaguely achey muscles, but a big no-no on acute pain. Ice (no more than 20m in one go) and rest.

I agree, if in doubt, ice.
  • aznsdgrl
    aznsdgrl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had 6 physical therapy sessions and laid off lifting anything heavy with that arm for a couple of months, feels 100% better now. I've got full range of motion now. Good luck!
  • pogiest
    pogiest Posts: 8
    Options
    Don't forget that you can wrap the ice in a wash cloth so that the cold is there, but it isn't so cold that it hurts.

And stretching, but light... Don't push it and stretch slowly and evenly. It kills me when I see people pull hard and/or bounce when they stretch. Told the stretch for about 10-20 seconds at a time.

I work in orthopedics and I can tell you that ice, NASIDs (Motrin. Aleve, etc), and a little physical therapy (such as simple stretching) can make a huge difference.