medical marijuana for weight loss

Options
nikilis
nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
one of my friends in the states just got a medical marijuana card to assist with weight loss. I didn't know it can help you loose weight. anyone know about this?

:huh:

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    that sounds counter intuitive since all I have ever heard about marijuana is that it gives you the munchies.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Yea, pretty sure that's bogus
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Based on what I know, which is considerable, I do not believe this is true. My weight gain ocurred while I was a pothead.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    weed gives a lot of people the munchies...lol. But I guess it could work. it just depends on how bad it gives you the munchies and if you act on it or not. But for the most part I seriously doubt it would help much. The thing that's weird is that you can get a medical marijuana card if you're anorexic to help.. but then you can also get one to help with weight loss...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, maybe you just stop caring that you're overweight?

Sure as heck can't see it helping LOL
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    lolwut
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, maybe you just stop caring that you're overweight?

Sure as heck can't see it helping LOL

hahaha love it!

I don't see pot helping with weight loss....munchies!!!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    When I used to partake, I'd get the munchies, but if I didn't have food, I wouldn't eat anything at all....or sometimes I'd crave veggies. I lost 10 lbs while smoking and definitely didn't need it then. I wish I could use it now ;P
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was super skinny when I was younger and devoting all my time and energy to smoking weed. If you smoke a lot of it, there is a side effect that you cant eat without smoking it. This allows you to not eat until you smoke a joint, pretty easy to lose weight huh?

In the beginning though she probably will gain, from the munchies and still eating her regular meals

Eventually it will take more and more to get her to eat. Eventually she will lose her appetite unless she is in front of the best and biggest joint. At this point I'd say the smoker would have to smoke maybe an ounce a week for that effect. Maybe more.

Weed also raises your metabolism. I'm not sure how much.

It also makes your lungs feel like ick, so cardio is out.

It encourages you to sit around and daydream, so getting up to do some exercise or plan a healthy meal is out too.

I think her doctor is a quack.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Just to add a bit more, THC actually stimulates the receptors in your brain that control your appetite, making you think that you are more hungry than you are. So if was being used to stimulate the appetite of someone wanting to gain weight or to prevent nausea, then I would agree that it ia effective. But for weightloss? No. They got it to get stoned. Which is ok.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I think some doctors that give out medical marijuana cards will do it for just about any reason that the patient names. Yes, there are legitimate needs, but most everyone I know who has one is just a recreational user with a nebulous "condition" that they kind of made up on the spot. Headaches? Occasional constipation or diarrhea? Social anxiety? Smoking pot makes you feel better, you say? Here's a card. I'm glad my state finally legalized weed so we can quit the charade.

That being said, it definitely has some real medical benefits, and is used for stimulating appetite in cancer patients and anorexics. Off the top of my head the only way I can think of that it might aid in weight loss is if the person is a stress-eater and maybe pot will help them relax? But then they're gonna get the munchies, so it might just cancel itself out.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    When I used to partake, I'd get the munchies, but if I didn't have food, I wouldn't eat anything at all....or sometimes I'd crave veggies. I lost 10 lbs while smoking and definitely didn't need it then. I wish I could use it now ;P

But if you had food, you'd eat it right? If you could smoke now, would you just not have food in the house? O.o.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    hahahah this is just funny to me.
  • FearAndTrembling
    Options
    Dumbest thing I ever heard. Medical marijuana is actually prescribed to increase appetite.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I think some doctors that give out medical marijuana cards will do it for just about any reason that the patient names. Yes, there are legitimate needs, but most everyone I know who has one is just a recreational user with a nebulous "condition" that they kind of made up on the spot. Headaches? Occasional constipation or diarrhea? Social anxiety? Smoking pot makes you feel better, you say? Here's a card. I'm glad my state finally legalized weed so we can quit the charade.

That being said, it definitely has some real medical benefits, and is used for stimulating appetite in cancer patients and anorexics. Off the top of my head the only way I can think of that it might aid in weight loss is if the person is a stress-eater and maybe pot will help them relax? But then they're gonna get the munchies, so it might just cancel itself out.

Yah that - in my state you just have to fog a mirror to get a card. I understand that some cancer patients swear by it for nausea and pain control - that's great - can't even imagine going through chemotherapy. Other site of the coin - a former potential business partner has a card. After getting a few incoherent texts from her about a project, I've distanced myself from her.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Dumbest thing I ever heard. Medical marijuana is actually prescribed to increase appetite.

it's actually prescribed for increasing appetite AND in some cases for the opposite. weird eh?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I've heard of it being prescribed for anorexia, not or weight gain. Is she depressed/anxious and eating for that reason?

Either way, who cares. If it helps, then whatever. I hate the huge stigma that marijuana is an "evil" "bad" plant.
  • abunodisceomnes
    Options
    I haven't been able to find any research on it, but it's possible it could give a boost to your metabolism or something of that nature. I've been rather overweight since my childhood and occasionally smoked cannabis, but I hit a period for about two months a year ago where I was smoking from the time I awoke til the time I went to sleep. I wasn't very active, aside from going to work (washing dishes, mopping floors, serving the elderly their meals). My eating habits weren't any worse as a side effect of the "munchies" (just ate whatever we had left at the end of the day at work for dinner, no breakfast, and whatever I could find for lunch). Anyhow, I lost ~40 lbs in that period of time. Of course correlation does not equal causation, but it can imply that there is something. Hopefully it does help your amigo lose weight.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying its right but I will say I've heard that the reason behind munchies and smoking green is due to the fact it speeds your metabolism this is a myth lmao. you will more than likely binge! Not so good!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/500573-does-thc-speed-up-your-metabolism/

^ will admit I'm a ex pot head I didn't get over weight by not eating that's for sure lmao

Oh and how I was Naive young and dumb to fall for the old myth
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of pot decreasing appetite.

My grandmother who is terminally sick, was prescribed a sort of pill form of marijuana called Marinol to INCREASE her appetite, only because medical marijuana isn't covered by her insurance and smoking it is still illegal in my state.

Everyone I know, myself included who is an occasional toker ends up like this:

1688wev.gif
This discussion has been closed.