Weight Watchers AND MFP

Options
13»

Replies

• monteymole
    Options
    Iv just done my first week on weight watchers and lost 5lbs I also use mfp for the inspiration and success stories :smile:
  • faithoverfailure
    faithoverfailure Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use ww only to weigh in and track my progress..... I sometimes attend the meeting for helpful tips and support. However, my tracking is done through MFP
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am currently a member at Weight Watchers and tracking on both WW and MFP. I use WW for official weigh in's and Saturday morning meetings with a really good leader. I feel like I take more responsibility this way of my weight cause big sister is watching. On MFP I have very supportive friends and the fact that I can look up almost any food and find it. I find that they both work for me.
  • 3171kelly
    3171kelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think MY fitness pal works really well.. For me I like all of the success stories. They keep me motivated. It is easier to track on MFP too, Good Luck :)
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going to work if you can't find the motivation or " stall out"
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Why go to WW if your not going to utilitze the system? Sounds like a waste of time and more importantly money. Thats what weight watchers is, a business aiming to make money. And really, the point values are generated based on calories. So....its really the SAME thing as counting calories. Id pick one or the other.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Why go to WW if your not going to utilitze the system? Sounds like a waste of time and more importantly money. Thats what weight watchers is, a business aiming to make money. And really, the point values are generated based on calories. So....its really the SAME thing as counting calories. Id pick one or the other.
    If you go to Weight Watchers, either to get weighed in, or to attend a meeting, then you ARE utilizing the system.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have done WW a few times and much prefer MFP.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do Weight Watchers AND My Fitness Pal? I lost 30 lbs with MFP two years ago and have gained it all back. I'm having a hard time getting motivated and am going to joing Weight Watchers today. I've done WW in the past and find counting calories much easier than the points system sooooo...I will be using MFP for tracking.

Anyone care to share experience? Good, bad or otherwise??

I have tried WW many many times and find that it isn't structured enough for me. I know that a can of fat free pringles is 7 pts therefore my brain says I can eat the whole can. Logging my calories into MFP works so much better for me.
    I understand what you are saying, but, that really has nothing to do with Weight Watchers. No matter what plan you are following, it is up to YOU to make the healthy choices when you eat something. Sure, the whole can might only be 7 points, but that doesn't mean you should eat it. It is the same as saying "I have enough calories left to eat the entire can". Doesn't mean you should. Same thing.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I did well with WW, but I had to give it up when my financial situation changed and I had to cut out some things. I think WW is a good program -- much healthier than a number of other weight loss programs. I still follow some of the basics of the program -- for example, the Good Health Guidelines -- to he sure I'm eating healthy, but MFP is the tracking program for me.

One big advantage of MFP is that I can track carbs, fat, sodium and so forth. These can't be tracked on WW
  • mkop84
    mkop84 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did MFP last year and lost 5 pounds or so, but only for 1.5 months. I joined ww this January, after making a resolution like most poeple. I have lost 20 pounds so far, but I just rejoined MFP and want to do some comparisons. I'm sure different things work for different people. I want to see what works for me.
  • mkop84
    mkop84 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm an online member and don't go to meetings.
  • ptbodacious
    ptbodacious Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW and MFP since June, 2012 and have lost almost 80 pounds. I am a WW Online member because it's 35 miles to the closest WW meeting site and I know I'm not going to do that every week. It's been an interesting ride, comparing points versus calories each day - some days over on points and under on calories and other days the other way. I have 20-30 pounds left to goal (depending on which goal I'm planning on that particular day :happy: I feel like WW does encourage you to eat better by charging more points for less healthy food, regardless of the calories, while MFP is great for tracking macros to help you eat better. MFP has a better food database and I can use the nutritional info to calculate WW points, so it all works for me. I figure the money I spend on WW each month is balanced out by the amount of junk food I DON'T buy and eat.
  • pmermakov
    pmermakov Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    MFP is way easier for me to use than WW. I am currently doing MFP with my best friend who introduced me to this wonderful free site. We talk several times a week about losing weight. Get support through a friend, family member or spouse. If you lost 2 pounds in one week by tracking and cutting down on your calories, you will feel motivated. Also, I love reading the success stories on this board. :smile:
  • EllytoSkinny
    Options
    I have done both WW and MFP separately and then together to compare points vs. calories. I am currently going to weekly WW meetings because: 1) I am prepaid through the middle of May, 2) I really like the people in my group and get a lot of motivation from them, and 3) I really really really need that accountability of knowing I will be stepping on the scale once a week in front of someone. This helps me stay on track for the week regardless of which plan I am doing (WW or MFP.)

I think both WW and MFP plans are excellent if you use them, and you just have to find the one that works best for you. That being said, there are many days that I am starving, have already used my daily WW points, and MFP tells me I have only eaten 1,000 calories. Yes, I know I can have a few more "free fruits" to increase my calories to 1,200 or so, and if needed I can dip into my extra points for the week; however, I am increasingly appreciating the simplicity of just counting calories vs. determining points values. I have the WW app, scanner, etc. and it is great, but at the end of the day, I just really want to know how many calories I've eaten, what I've burned through exercise, and the breakdown of my calories (fat, protein, etc..) WW has helped me rethink the types of foods I am eating and my diet is much healthier fruit and veggie wise than it was before WW, but by logging these same foods into MFP, I can get a better overall picture of what I am eating vs. just points.

I will continue to do both for awhile and might not renew my WW membership when it runs out mid-May, although losing the accountability of the weekly weigh-in is a little scary.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I go to meetings. It works as long as I follow the plan. I prefer the MFP community and food database. I would quit WW I think but I love the face to face interaction I get with my meetings.
  • ashley11284
    ashley11284 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well i can say i'm just about the opposite of what everyone has posted here. I've done WW before and lost 50 pounds and quit tracking and gained it back (just like you would if you stopped counting calories) I've been on MFP since january and have only lost 12 pounds therefore i'm going to use the MFP database for food and then convert it over to points to see if that gets my weight loss moving.
  • ktdeangelis
    ktdeangelis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do Weight Watchers AND My Fitness Pal? I lost 30 lbs with MFP two years ago and have gained it all back. I'm having a hard time getting motivated and am going to joing Weight Watchers today. I've done WW in the past and find counting calories much easier than the points system sooooo...I will be using MFP for tracking.

Anyone care to share experience? Good, bad or otherwise??

I used to do WW! I had really good luck with it, and I ended up losing about 60 pounds. After a while though, I kind of wanted something that would show me a break down of what I was eating (as far as carbs, protein, calories, etc.). I also kind of got tired of having to pay every month, and their apps were driving me crazy (especially the barcode scanner). All in all, I'm really happy that I moved to MFP. I honestly think it's personal preference and what works best for your life style. Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!