Losing 22lbs in 2 months?

Options
Hey there!. I have a question and was wondering if anybody can help me out :-). I did okay with my diet last week and did great with my exercise. Had a few slip ups on snacking here and there but nothing too major. Well this past weekend while I was at work, my boyfriend's sister came over to visit and I guess they talked about my troubles with motivation on this weight loss. Well my boyfriend called me this morning and told me he had been thinking of something. He said that since my motivation is lacking a little bit, he knew of a way to get me REALLY motivated to lose this weight. He told me that if I got down to 160lbs (I am currently 182lbs) by my birthday (June 29th), he would take me to Cedar Point. This blew me out of the water!. We have gone to Cedar Point the past couple years but this year we weren't planning on going due to money. A little back story: Cedar Point is "our place" as I call it. We went as just friends about 3 years ago and then we got "together" a few months later and we have gone every year since. I was a little bummed when I found out we weren't going to be able to go this year but I completely understood. So now, needless to say, my motivation is sky high at the moment!. My motivation was getting there and like I said, I did pretty good last week, but this really got me moving so to speak!.

So here is my question.... is it possible get down to 160lbs (lose 22lbs) in 2 months?. If so, what is some advice you can share on how to do it?. Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Replies

• cgirlygirl
    Options
    It's great that your boyfriend is trying to motivate you! It is always helpful to have a great support system.

That being said...22lbs is quite a bit in two months. I don't know how far you are from your ultimate goal weight, but if you are close, it will be more difficult. Make sure you are fueling your body. Lift AND cardio! Don't be afraid to pick up those weights! Make sure your logging is totally honest, and don't get discouraged! Most importantly--DRINK WATER!! Cut your weight in half...drink that amount in ounces of water every day!

Good luck! Feel free to add me!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Hey there!. I have a question and was wondering if anybody can help me out :-). I did okay with my diet last week and did great with my exercise. Had a few slip ups on snacking here and there but nothing too major. Well this past weekend while I was at work, my boyfriend's sister came over to visit and I guess they talked about my troubles with motivation on this weight loss. Well my boyfriend called me this morning and told me he had been thinking of something. He said that since my motivation is lacking a little bit, he knew of a way to get me REALLY motivated to lose this weight. He told me that if I got down to 160lbs (I am currently 182lbs) by my birthday (June 29th), he would take me to Cedar Point. This blew me out of the water!. We have gone to Cedar Point the past couple years but this year we weren't planning on going due to money. A little back story: Cedar Point is "our place" as I call it. We went as just friends about 3 years ago and then we got "together" a few months later and we have gone every year since. I was a little bummed when I found out we weren't going to be able to go this year but I completely understood. So now, needless to say, my motivation is sky high at the moment!. My motivation was getting there and like I said, I did pretty good last week, but this really got me moving so to speak!.

So here is my question.... is it possible get down to 160lbs (lose 22lbs) in 2 months?. If so, what is some advice you can share on how to do it?. Thanks in advance for your help :-)

This can be a touchy subject but I feel that type of timeline is going to motivate you to take an unhealthy route to weightloss as that is a LOT of weight to lose in 2 months time.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible! What I've been doing is walking 15,000 steps per day, which is around 7.5 miles. I also eat 1,200 calories each day. I track everything with BodyMedia (demo: http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/How-it-works), which is a great motivator and tracks everything I do (calories in and out, sleep, steps, etc).
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Some may not agree..but I go by 1,000 cal diet. I do not eat what I burn in exercise.
    I have been doing the 1,000 for almost 2 yrs now. I do take vitamins. I do go over once in a while. But, I get back on the 1,000 cals a day. I have thyroid issues..and not every "body" is the same..so, this diet has helped me. You do what is best for you. If you are bound and determine to reach your goal..you will find a way. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Possible, yes. Healthy...debatable. I would ask him if he can maybe move it to 170, 5 pounds per month is a lot more feasible than 10. That's more than 2 pounds per week (ETA, it's not, but it might not be the best idea.) Tell him that you will still do it, but that 160 is just unattainable in that time span. If you do manage to lose more than 10 pounds, great. But I'd talk to him. It is nice that he is trying to motivate you though, it seems a lot of women here say that their husbands are not very supportive.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My own opinion: That amount of weight loss is a little too fast and would come at the expense of good nutrition. You can lose weight--but not have enough of that weight be fat instead of muscle.

But there's a bigger issue here. I realize your boyfriend is trying to be helpful, but this is rather controlling. He's setting the goal and you have to "measure up" or rather "measure down" to get the reward he dangles in front of you. What might be a better plan would be for the two of you to go to this favorite place once you have lost an amount of weight that you want, at whatever rate that occurs, as a celebration of your success. Otherwise, you're in a stressful situation that other people are controlling.

Mainly, no one else can lose the weight for you. You have to decide that weight loss and fitness are really worthwhile to you and that you are willing to make lifelong changes to your food and exercise habits in order to get it.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's great that your boyfriend is trying to motivate you! It is always helpful to have a great support system.

That being said...22lbs is quite a bit in two months. I don't know how far you are from your ultimate goal weight, but if you are close, it will be more difficult. Make sure you are fueling your body. Lift AND cardio! Don't be afraid to pick up those weights! Make sure your logging is totally honest, and don't get discouraged! Most importantly--DRINK WATER!! Cut your weight in half...drink that amount in ounces of water every day!

Good luck! Feel free to add me!

I agree with this :). It's possible, but can be very difficult. I know my first 15lb came off (and have stayed off) pretty quickly, probably in that same time-frame of 2-3 months. The closer you are to a healthy weight, the more difficult it can become though because your body gets accustomed to exercising or eating so much.
  • _cdngirl71_
    _cdngirl71_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Love Cedar Point, one of the best amusement parks I've been to!!

I believe you can lose 22lbs in 2 months. Just eat properly and exercise. Make sure to eat at least 1200-1500 calories a day and lots of water!! I've lost 11 lbs in April so far by doing 4-5 days of exercise, lots of water and eating properly too. I've had some cheat days but didn't go overboard though.

You can do it!!

Have fun at Cedar Point!!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    One pound = 3500 calories. You wan to lose 22 pounds in 60 days. That's .37 pounds per day, or 2.59 pounds per week. You would have to have a calorie deficit of 1295 calories a day to accomplish this (Food - exercise = calorie surpluss or deficit).

I suggetst you go to www.fitnessfrog.com and calculate your TDEE and find the calorie range you need to be able to accomplish this. Most 'experts' don't recommend losing more than 1-2 pounds per week. I don't know how tall you are or overall how much more you want to lose but it's also harder as you get closer to your goal.

Maybe if you share some of this information or what you learn from fitness frog with your boyfriend he will help you set a healthier, more realistic goal and support you in getting there.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

But there's a bigger issue here. I realize your boyfriend is trying to be helpful, but this is rather controlling. He's setting the goal and you have to "measure up" or rather "measure down" to get the reward he dangles in front of you. What might be a better plan would be for the two of you to go to this favorite place once you have lost an amount of weight that you want, at whatever rate that occurs, as a celebration of your success. Otherwise, you're in a stressful situation that other people are controlling.

I don't think that's "controlling". He knows she lacks motivation and he is honestly trying to be helpful. Poor guy probably doesn't know what else to do! OP obviously doesn't think it's controlling so I don't think that it's an issue at all, really.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My own opinion: That amount of weight loss is a little too fast and would come at the expense of good nutrition. You can lose weight--but not have enough of that weight be fat instead of muscle.

Mainly, no one else can lose the weight for you. You have to decide that weight loss and fitness are really worthwhile to you and that you are willing to make lifelong changes to your food and exercise habits in order to get it.

AND I totally agree with this. Well said.
  • KariRoseDoll
    KariRoseDoll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is possible, but I'll be honest, I think that's too much weight to lose in two months, and it's not healthy at all. The only time that's possible is if someone is very overweight and very far from their goal weight. For example, when I first started, I was roughly 35 pounds from my goal weight. I set my calories to lose a pound a week in accordance with my activity level. Now, my first month, I lost ten pounds -- and six of them were due to the fact that I had a flu and could barely eat a thing for two days. My second month, I only lost five. So, that's a total of 15 pounds in two months, which I thought was pretty fast.

In the end, I guess what I'm trying to say is unless you're highly overweight, I don't see it happening unless you go a very, very unhealthy route -- which I really wouldn't suggest. The max they say anyone should lose is 2 pounds a week, and your goal would require more than that. Even the two pounds a week is pushing it a bit. Perhaps call your physician, set a more realistic goal, and then see if your boyfriend will work with you on that. Or perhaps set mini goals, and if you accomplish three or four, then you guys go.

Whatever the case, make sure you're happy about it, being healthy about it, and you're not just doing it for this trip.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Maybe. Is it likely? Who knows. I really think timed scale goals are just counter productive. They completely set you up. What happens if you "only" lose 20 pounds in that time, but you lose a bunch of inches? Will you be disappointed and mad at yourself and give up? Will you still go to Cedar Point or will that be taken off the table since you were two pounds away from the goal?

I think you are far better off to just focus on healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle. Focus on the good habits and not so much on the scale. When you focus on the good habits, the scale tends to follow. When you focus on the scale, the good habits may or may not follow.

Above all else, weight loss is NOT linear. As much as we would like to, we can't control how much or when our body loses. You may do everything "perfect" one week and show a gain and the next week, you might slip up and not be so perfect, yet show a loss. Just concentrate on the things you CAN control.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

^^^Ditto!! Do this for "you" & only "you"!! It's tough trying to live up to someone's expectations, one slip & you're beatin yourself up for not accomplishing what they wanted you to do.....Be Smart>>>do what you can, not what he wants, period. Good Luck.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Totally doable. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months the first time I did P90X. I really had to focus on eating right and work thru soreness and lack of desire to workout one hour a day. I made a commitment to myself that I would not skip one day of exercise and I wouldn't have any cheat meal for those 90 days. In an average, I was losing 10 lbs per month.

The key is not under-eating, especially if your workout routines are as intense as with P90X or any other workout system that will require plenty of physical activities, but to eat the right amount so your body gets the fuel it needs and recovers after each workout. Also, keeping in mind that you don't only burn calories during the workout, but also post-workout, helps you understand you don't need to take it to the extreme and workout 3 hours a day to achieve that goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Possible...maybe; healthy...questionable. Also, weight loss isn't a linear event...you don't lose exactly X lbs in a week. It took me about 6 months to lose 35 Lbs in a very healthy manner that didn't leave me completely miserable.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are morbidly obese, I would say it's possible but since you are near a healthy weight range it's too aggressive. Almost 50% of your weight loss alone would come from muscle, not even including you would have to starve yourself. It would have to be a combination of vlcd and tons of exercise, which will cause health issues in the long run.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    check this program out

wwww.venusindex.com

They have a workout and a calculator to give you guidelines on calorie intake for your goals, it is a bit expensive but takes the guesswork out of working out if you are new to it. It is not an easy program but it comes with a community of ladies going through the same thing. I just finished the 12 week transformation, I really liked it and feel that it gets results. Can you lose that much weight in two months? Maybe it is better to look at inches and what you look like in your clothes then how much lbs are gone...
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I would like for someone to explain why losing 22 pounds in two months not healthy? They say not more than 2 pounds a week... She would be losing , let's say 2.7 a week, it still in the two range.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Maybe a better suggestion would be something not involving the scale. For example, he could reward you for staying within your calorie goals every day or working out as scheduled. As long as you try, you should get the reward, but you shouldn't try too hard as it can lead to unhealthy decisions.