How much do you pay a month for fitness?

Options
micheleb15
micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
I currently pay about $40 a month for my gym membership at Gold's. I am thinking about cancelling it and moving to a group/personal training only facility. The only thing I do at the gym is spin classes and weights. I want to move to heavy lifting and know I need to either get a personal trainer at Golds or go to this new weight training facility which is about $200 a month. Personal training at Gold's is about $80-90 a session so I think the new facility is the way to go. I feel like I have a hard time going to the gym since I can run outside and have up to 50lb dumbbells at home.

I mentioned this to a friend and they thought I was insane to pay those prices. It doesn't seem that crazy since this is what I would rather do than go out drinking or out to eat all of the time.

So, now I am interested. What do you pay monthly for health/fitness? Gym, personal training, nutrition coaching, etc.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    $0.00

I've got my body, a pullup bar, a few moderate sized dumbbells, and some running shoes. Everything I need.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I pay 75 a month for my "boot camp" classes. Yoga, biking and running are all free stuff I do at home :smile:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My gym is 50 a month. I do weights and classes. TRX being an absolute favorite of mine. Then on weekends I hike, which is free unless you count gas and occasionally having to pay to park in a state park.

I couldn't afford to spend that much a month, but if you can and you think your getting your $ worth, then go for it.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    $0. I do all my exercise at home or outside.
  • jpavlik12
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness in January. I started with the basic membership ($10/mo) - they don't offer classes but I'm motivated enough to do it on my own. I upgraded to the Black Card which gets me so much more stuff! I recommend checking them out if you don't need anyone to push you!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to pay that much. Get New Rules of Lifting for Women and use that as your trainer - every move is explained in words and pictures and the book is less than $20. It has 6 full months of workout routines and I just started Stage 3 and love it (have lost lots of inches in the first two stages and no need for a personal trainer).

I pay $25 a month for my gym, which has two squat racks, lots of free weights and dumbbells, and everything I need for NROFLW workouts.
  • Disneynut
    Disneynut Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I pay £27 (around $35) per month for my gym membership, and for me it is money well spent.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    $0

I have some weights, a few workout DVDs (and there are TONS on YouTube), an elliptical, treadmill and stationary bike. When it's nice out I go for a run outside. When it's not so nice out, I use my at home gym.

If I didn't have the things I have at home to workout I would get a great pair of running shoes for outside workouts. I personally would spend the money on fitness equipment for at home instead of a gym membership.
  • JustineDianaD
    JustineDianaD Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I pay $50/week for 2 PT sessions.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    $100/month for unlimited classes

Pretty pricey, but I really need to be pushed, and I can text/email my trainer all the time. They also look at my food diaries and help me make changes. I think it's worth it.
  • bgtoepfer
    bgtoepfer Posts: 23
    Options
    My employer picks up half my gym membership as part of a wellness campaign. I pay $27 each month for 24 hour fitness.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    £18 for gym membership, which currently converts to $28US and about the same on protein.

Plus, since I started this weight loss shizz, I eat more, and I eat better, and that costs a bit more than before, when I dont actually remember what I used to eat!
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Working out home is what I do and what fits me - I'm a student, so my budget is limited anyway
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to pay that much. Get New Rules of Lifting for Women and use that as your trainer - every move is explained in words and pictures and the book is less than $20. It has 6 full months of workout routines and I just started Stage 3 and love it (have lost lots of inches in the first two stages and no need for a personal trainer).

I pay $25 a month for my gym, which has two squat racks, lots of free weights and dumbbells, and everything I need for NROFLW workouts.

I have read the book, but I have no way of checking form or even knowing if it's right or not.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Unless you count one-off payments for exercise DVDs, then £0. Can't afford to pay for the gym right now, so I'm doing all I can at home!
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I pay $60/month to be a member of American Family Fitness. I take a lot of the Les Mills' classes that they offer on a weekly basis and I also workout on my own utililizing almost all of the fitness machines. It may sound expensive, but it's worth it to me because I need structure and guidance, otherwise I wouldn't benefit from my membership.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I pay $98/month for unlimited yoga and $100/month for CrossFit. Worth every penny.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I pay between $30 and $50 a month. The only workouts I pay for are my zumba classes. The rest is running, walking and home workouts
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    $35 a month for the gym. If I broke it down with shoes, running socks, 5k fees, etc it would be a lot more than that.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I pay about $50, which I think is pretty good considering how much I love my gym! If you can afford to pay $200 a month and you think it's worth it, then just do it! I'm sure some people won't understand, but everyone has their thing. I spend way too much on workout clothes (I'm a Lululemon addict!), some people think it's crazy, but then they go out and spend a ton on something else that makes them happy. I agree that at least for when you first start lifting, it's nice to have someone check your form to make sure you don't get injured.