Any ladies managed to get to 18-20% BF? What did you do?

Options

Replies

• Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am at 18.5% currently - what worked for me was lifting heavier weights, as heavy as I can go without compromising form, even if its less reps - eating more calories and increasing protein (macros are 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat on training days and 45% protein, 35% carbs and 25% fat on rest days). I also had to lower my cardio, I still do it but usually 15-30 mins of sprint intervals 2 times per week, walking on rest days and usually 15-20 mins of treadmill running at a slower pace after lifting.
  • Momowink
    Momowink Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I started serious strength training in february with my trainer, at the beginning of that month, my body fat % was 24. At the beginning of April my body fat % went down to 21.4%. Eat healthy lift hard.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I am at 18.5% currently - what worked for me was lifting heavier weights, as heavy as I can go without compromising form, even if its less reps - eating more calories and increasing protein (macros are 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat on training days and 45% protein, 35% carbs and 25% fat on rest days). I also had to lower my cardio, I still do it but usually 15-30 mins of sprint intervals 2 times per week, walking on rest days and usually 15-20 mins of treadmill running at a slower pace after lifting.

This this this!!!

You won't increase muscle lifting heavier for less reps, you'll decrease fat. I got down from 21% to 18.5% in about 8 weeks. I decreased gluten (I didn't give it up all together but got rid of all the processed white crap), decreased sugars to only natural sugars, basically cut out 95% of processed foods or foods with added sugars, kept my calories around 1600 daily, and lifted heavy 3-4x a week. I still maintain most of these habits, and I do 2-3 sessions of HIIT weekly for 20 minutes (sprinting/jogging). That's it. No steady state cardio for me personally, I feel like it breaks up my muscles and I feel tighter when I avoid it.

Every 14 days I have a major refeed day, and every 8-10 weeks I change up my workout program slightly, add in some circuits to change it up, that sort of thing.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of weight lifting you're doing but I would suggest getting a good weight lifting routine and sticking to it for a wihle. Go up in weight often. And You may need to actually take in a few more calories, your body may not be getting enough of what it needs to build that muscle up in order to shift that fat to lean mass ratio. Check out bodybuilding.com, jamie easson, and also muffin-topless.com

ETA: I am currently 16.5% and I just lift lift lift and eat real food and take protein.
  • penelopia
    penelopia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    interesting, following. :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Moderate deficit and patience. I lose about 1 pound a month.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Nutrition first and foremost. You need to dial it in, paying attention to your body and how it reacts.

Lifting heavy with good form, and varying your routine every so often.

Interval training alternating days with weight training.

Yoga or some sort of stretching.

I am a firm believer in less being more, shorter effective workouts.

Rest is as important as working out. :smile:

That's my strategy.
  • tracyhutchins
    tracyhutchins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting more often and HIIT to try to lower my BF%. I'm interesting in following this thread! Thanks for posting!!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    From what you wrote, it looks like you are on the right track! I think you are smart about not overdoing cardio, I keep reading that if you do, it taxes the metabolism which then makes the body (through various processes) hold onto fat. I also read somewhere (wish I could give you links to this stuff) that 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass is enough, too much protein also converts to glucose then to body fat.

Anyway, I am about the same size range as you and am 19% body fat. I eat 60% fat - about 100 grams /day , 20% protein about 90 grams per day, and 20% carbs - about 90 grams per day. I am gluten free and mostly all processed foods free, and I eat real and fresh foods. Most of the time. My exercise is about 4-5 hours per week of both cardio and muscle strengthening. My TDEE is for all that is 1850 to maintain. I don't have "large muscles" probably more due to genetics and I do have a small bone structure for my height. (5'9")

So, I'd suggest to just try tweaking your diet and experimenting.....Best of Luck!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I hover between 19% and 20%. I do yoga every day. You need to build that muscle to get rid of that BF number. :)
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! :)
  • haley6251993
    Options
    I'm currently taking a nutrition class where this is covered. Its great that you're doing cardio, however the body's main source of energy during intense cardio training is carbohydrates. During exercises like walking, about 30% of your energy comes from carbs and 70% from fat. During a weightlifting session about 40% is carbs and 60% is fat.

When your body is at rest it is mostly using fat stores for energy for your muscles. The more muscle you have, the more energy is needed, therefore you will burn more fat.

However, you're going to need to eat more than 1600 calories a day if you want to get there. You should be eating more carbohydrates (good ones, not sugary ones) but you shouldn't need to increase your protein and fat by too much. If you're exercising as much as you make it seem, your body is going to need more fuel to build muscles. It seems counter-produductive but really the more you eat (healthily) the more you loose.

Good luck with everything!
  • ducky715
    ducky715 Posts: 38
    Options
    Maybe your body likes to be at that body fat percentage? I'm not saying you can't try to lower it, but having a little fat on your body is good for your body.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm probably somewhere around 18%....

I lift heavy, do a little cardio (just for fun), and eat somewhere around 2500 calories on lifting days and around 2K on non lifting days I try to hit 1g/lbm protein and and eat enough fat. --- this above process is what changed my composition, nothing else.

I'm 140 and 5'8" and a US 8

My last week and a half of logging has been a "break" with a couple empty days thrown in due to food poisoning.

Food and exercise diary are open as are photos on my profile.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Following because I'm trying to do this as well.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks to OP for wonderful thread! I really am dying to know how everyone has done what they've done to be at extremely healthy/awesome Body Fat % levels!

My Body Fat % is at 32% now (ironically, BMI is healthy ugh), and I'm really wanting to know how long it'll take to get down to 25%? I do understand different bodies are made differently, and it depends on your diet and stuff. I work out everyday, weights 3x, cardio everyday, and strength train 3x.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i fluctuate between 19-20% bf. i practice ashtanga/vinyasa yoga 4x+ a week. i also walk/jog the hills around my home. i am also vigilant about what i eat. what we eat is the key to our leaness, imo.