Who has a garden to grow their own fruits and vegetables?

Options
2»

Replies

• rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Thanks for posting to my topic. Great to see all the variety of vegetables folks are growing in their gardens.

We received rain all weekend so not much daylight for the plants to grow : (
  • JBuehrer1
    JBuehrer1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, having your own fruit trees is great. I want to do that, but my hubby isn't all about that idea yet. Nor is he excited about chickens :D I have convinced him to let me have a raised garden, using the wood I salvaged from our pole barn that blew down next year. Unfortunately I haven't gotten it built yet and I'm too tired to do anything with it right now. I did try starting seeds inside but am having problems with them :( so I think we will have a tomato plant in a pot on my back porch and maybe by fall I can get my raised beds built and plant some kale and spinach and other cool weather plants :D Good luck to all of you with gardens this year!
  • caribear1984
    Options
    I have two beds right now, one for greens and one for other plants. My greens bed is 3x3 and has several types of lettuce, kale, and spinach. The bigger garden is about 4x13 and we have shell and snap peas, several melons, watermelon, zucchini, green beans, spaghetti squash, apple gourds, tomatoes, bell and jalapeno peppers. I just planted strawberries in our flowerbed too. We also have six laying hens and four rabbits to eat the weeds and provide us with fertilizer. I will probably put in another bed in the fall so we can do corn and cruciferous veggies. I can't wait!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I made up a raised log mound, covered it with dirt and transplanted my strawberries on it- read about hugelkulture on Mother Earth News. So far so good, you don't have to water it after a year or two suppossedly b/c the mound will hold water in and the decaying logs provide nutrients. My regular garden is 4 12' x 4' raised beds and two smaller circular ones. I have also built a new raised bed on the outside of my fenced in beds. I wil plant things chickens aren't fond of there. I am wanting to try the potatoes in the stack of old tires but we have no old tires laying about! Guess I could try the potatoes in a burlag bag. Where I live potato bugs are horrible and I refuse to use pesticides, they laugh at the organic pesticides I have tried, any one have any luck with a method besides constantly picking the bugs off the plants by hand?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Our garden is about 140 x 220 ft., and we use all-natural methods, no herbicides or pesticides, and certified organic seed. We grow beans, beets, peas, squash, melons, hardneck garlic,( 4 varieties), heirloom organic tomatoes ( 200 plants last year), cucumbers ( lemon cucumbers and poona kheera cucumbers a specialty), Jewel strawberries, blackberries, garlic chives, onions, broccoli, 4 colors of cauliflower, mesclun mix, herbs, greens, fennel, Jerusalem artichokes, globe artichokes, gourds, sweet peppers, yellow potatoes, just what comes to mind at the moment. There's more.
  • RTheHutt
    RTheHutt Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love gardening and especially home grown tomatoes. I've scaled back the size I prep a lot, mostly due to some issues I'm having with my back, and this year I've just got three 10' rows. I have my tomatoes started and growing indoors right now, and have started to move them outside to harden. They'll go in the ground Memorial day weekend or thereabouts. Meanwhile, I succession plant lettuce, spinach, beets while I'm waiting for it to be safe for tomatoes, and broccoli and kale in the fall.

Last year I tried moving my herbs to an indoor hydroponic set up and the yield was fantastic (especially basil). I'm going to expand that this year and also try a dwarf determinate tomato to see if that works indoors. If it works I'll try growing them year round. Seem like there is no other way to get a decent tomato other than growing it yourself!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Mine is around 20x30', with a 4' fence to keep my dogs out. I have some perennial herbs- rosemary, peppermint, spearmint, oregano and thyme in one corner and the rest I do annual crops.

Right now I have a long row of sugar snap peas and snow peas that grow up the fence, they are just sprouting. Along another fence I planted asparagus beans- they are long Asian beans that can grow 2-3' long, but taste best at around 1' long. They are fun to grow and taste like a green bean.

I have 3 tomato plants- 1 giant slicing type for me to eat, 1 grape for salads, and 1 Roma for fresh pico de gallo. My wife isn't much of a tomato eater so planting too many is a waste.

4 "burpless" cukes, 4 bell pepper, 4 brocolli, and 4 yellow summer squash that my wife got from the Ag program at the school where she works, they sell the plants for $1 for a 4 pack, a great deal.

12 "mixed greens", basically different spring mix types of lettuces.

3 different basil plants- Thai, purple, and Greek. I also have some regular basil seeds and cilantro that I'll plant later, after the salad greens are done.

Daikon radish, carrots, and a spinach/mustard hybrid green that I grew from seeds, those are sprouted but are still tiny.

4 okra, 6 collard greens and 6 kale plants for my "southern food"

1 peanut plant just to see what happens

a long row of potatoes, we had a bag sprouting in the pantry so I cut them into pieces and put them in the ground. I did the same last year with a single potato, cut it into 4-5 chunks with eyes on them, and got about 10lbs of nice potatoes from it. Nothing like a freshly dug up potato!

garlic and onions that came back from last year. I love using the chives in salads.

Still to come, my chile pepper crop, which is my main love of gardening. A friend works at a university greenhouse and has a lot of different chiles that he'll give me a few of in the next week or so. Ghost peppers, Scotch Bonnets, Thai Dragon, Anaheims, jalapenos, Anchos. I usually get a Tabasco from the local garden center as well, 1 Tabasco plant yields thousands of peppers and I use them to make hot sauce. I use the Ghost and Scotch Bonnets for Jamaican Jerk sauce, Thais for hot sauce and cooking ,and the others I like to grill up and eat with dinner.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Our garden is a work in progress. We grow cherries, grapes (purple for jelly, green for eating) rhubarb, red currents and just planted gooseberries last year. In the garden garden, we'll grow tomatoes, corn, eggplant, hot peppers, lettuce, swiss chard, green beans, peas, pumpkins, acorn squash and a myriad of herbs both culinary and medicinal. I am *so* excited about what we're growing this year!
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Small 5x5 foot greenhouse on the front porch (I live in WA so our growing season is pretty short and cool) - so far we have two types of lettuce, blueberries, two types of tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, cucumbers, LOTS of strawberries, oregano, rosemary, basil, cilantro, and lemon balm. I love growing food!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I put together and got in two 6' x 3' x 16" planters over the weekend.

Already planted: 1x Yellow Tomato, 1x Greek Oregano, 1x Chocolate Mint in it's own large pot. I've got a bunch of seeds in the mail coming that include:
    Purple carrots
    Shell peas (Little Marvel)
    Two different types of tomato
    Squash for blossoms
    Zatar Oregano
    Genovese Basil
    Chives
    Romanesco
    Borage
    Fennel
    Various Lettuces
    Ground Cherry

I'm also going to hunt up some strawberries today at the local hippy store. I'm really looking forward to the challenge, I don't really know how to make things grow.

I'm also thinking of clearing a patch to do some watermelon. Not sure how/ what to do for that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Small 5x5 foot greenhouse on the front porch (I live in WA so our growing season is pretty short and cool) - so far we have two types of lettuce, blueberries, two types of tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, cucumbers, LOTS of strawberries, oregano, rosemary, basil, cilantro, and lemon balm. I love growing food!

Do tell. How short and how cool?!
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love vegetable gardening! Ours is around 25’ square. We grow snap peas, swiss chard, spinach, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers, banana peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans, yellow beans, garlic, dill, cabbage, broccoli, raspberries and blueberries. Whatever we cannot eat fresh gets canned or frozen. It’s really a fun hobby for me.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've been gardening every year since we moved into our house about 8 years ago. I LOVE it! Each year is seems to grow a little too, hehe! It's probably about 50' X 100' right now. The snow has recently melted so I was finally able to work in the garden this weekend; pruned the raspberries, uncovered the garlic from the leaf mulch so the ground can warm up, transplanted some blueberry bushes because I don't like where my husband planted them and they don't seem to be doing as well as the other ones I planted elsewhere, and just cleaned up and got the garden ready to rototil.

We always plant a crap load of different kinds of tomatoes and sun gold cherry tomatoes, onions, hot/sweet peppers (usually experiment each year with some different hot peppers), broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage, japanese eggplant, cucumbers, summer squash/zukes, butternut/delicate winter squash, beets, lettuce, carrots, green beans, watermelon, pumpkins (pie and jack-o-lanterns), sugar snap peas, tomatillos and ground cherries! Whew, that's alot and now I'm hungry for summer!

In addition to our own garden, we also sign up for a share through our local CSA. We get a lot of the same stuff but also get potatoes and corn and a little bit more variety than what we plant.

LOVE fresh fruit and veggies!! Can't wait for summer :)
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Do tell. How short and how cool?!

Gonna make a guess and say she's in western Washington state. There are definitely two separate climates here, with eastern WA having a much longer and warmer spring and summer than western. I'm from eastern but currently live in western where the spring is generally in the 60's to 70s through early July if we're lucky. The joke is summer begins on July 5th. Cooler weather makes its way back late September. (Its currently snowing hard in the mountains about 40 miles from me)
    In eastern WA, especially SE corner, spring and summer are nice and warm from April through September (60-100+). My parents have few small raised beds now, with tomatoes (roma and heirloom), zucchini, strawberries, and I think a melon or two. Growing up over there, we had carrots, corn, all kinds of melons, onions, peas, lettuce, cauliflower, potatoes...

I would love to have a container or two but my deck doesn't get enough sun to do any good. But, around August, this area will see wild blackberries and I need to remember to get some this year.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Below is my latest update to my blog titled "Cool & Wet Spring, Week 3 Progress" where it shows the progress of my Tower Gardens from week 1 to week 3. Come on warm weather!

http://wp.me/p3g1VU-3t
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Last year we just did tomatoes, peppers, and herbs all in containers. This year we added a 4'x12' raised bed to the mix and right now have several varieties of tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, broccoli raab, squash, lettuce, watermelon, cantaloupe, bell peppers, poblano peppers, jalapeño peppers, basil, oregano, cilantro, peppermint, chocolate mint, sunflowers, and a bunch of okra for pickling....I think that's about it.
  • pamhoffca
    pamhoffca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Our garden is on the side of our house and is about 4 feet wide and 48 feet long. I bought non-gmo seeds from mypatriotgarden.com and last year had tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, cukes, radishes, lettuce, carrots and jalepenos. We have most of our garden planted this year already.

2 years ago, I canned a lot of the tomatoes and made picante sauce. Last year, I did a lot of pickles. Since my husband went crazy on planting tomatoes again this year, I may do picante again. Lots of work, but so worth it!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i havent yet but would love to
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    In addition to the day job, we run a Certified Naturally Grown farm. The veggie garden is about 2.5 acres, with a separate dedicated salad green garden that is 60x96 feet. This year we're growing 107 different varieties of veggies, with many on the Slow Food Ark of Taste and/or endangered varieties.

Outside of that, we also have peach, nectarine, and almond trees we hope to get our first crop from this year (will only be big enough for us, none to sell, and iffy at that), 2100 crowns of asparagus in its second year (so first very small harvest this year. Year after next and thereafter we should get about 800 pounds of asparagus/year), and raspberries. We also have 11 alpacas, 1 llama, and about 90,000 honey bees, and are getting weeder geese to help keep the grass out of the asparagus, and ducks mostly to control Colorado Potato Beetles and mice, but also for a few eggs. Hope to get started on chickens this year, and we may be adopting Jersey/Dexter mix calf to eventually become a dairy cow., but time, money, other projects, and gender of a calf not yet born may prevent chickens and cow this year...