Throwing up at the end of a race?

Options
2»

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I've never thrown up at the end of a race, and I wouldn't agree that it is normal or something to strive for. I've only seen one friend throw up, and that was because she trained with water, then took the blue electrolyte drink during the race.

Its either a sign that you pushed too hard or your electrolytes are off.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    RE: electrolytes

Not sure that's it as I was sipping Gaterade and water throughout the race.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    This thread is scaring me out of wanting to do races... I have serious emetophobia and have panic attacks if I'm around anyone who gets sick or if I see puke. I have goals of different races, but now I'm not sure if I could handle them if people are going to be throwing up. :frown:

Crista don't let it scare you. As crappy as I felt at the end the pride of finishing was worth it. I'm also just starting out so maybe this will be something I "grow out of" :) When I look at my finishers medals I don't think of throwing up, I think of hearing my name called as I crossed the finishline, the excitement at the start and my other half next to me encouraging me hard at the 8k mark when I felt like my legs wouldn't take another step.

Don't be scared :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    hahaha! I'm just glad it happened on the way home and not in front of alot of people!
    Throwing up at the finish line will make people look at you in awe! :-)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the adrenalin of the race makes you push yourself harder than you expect or are used to. Throwing up sometimes happens.

Yeah, yesterday was pretty close to one of those for me. I pushed harder than i ever have.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Crista don't let it scare you. As crappy as I felt at the end the pride of finishing was worth it. I'm also just starting out so maybe this will be something I "grow out of" :) When I look at my finishers medals I don't think of throwing up, I think of hearing my name called as I crossed the finishline, the excitement at the start and my other half next to me encouraging me hard at the 8k mark when I felt like my legs wouldn't take another step.

Thanks. I've always been very out-of-shape and overweight so I'm trying to make myself into a runner, and my main motivation is the feeling I'll get when I can actually finish a race. One of my friends runs marathons, and I hope to join her someday!
    For now, I'm sticking with the c25k program and working my way up. My sister, that same friend who runs marathons, and I want to do the Pretty Muddy women's mud run in Chicago in September so that's my current goal. :smile:
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options

Thanks. I've always been very out-of-shape and overweight so I'm trying to make myself into a runner, and my main motivation is the feeling I'll get when I can actually finish a race. One of my friends runs marathons, and I hope to join her someday!
    For now, I'm sticking with the c25k program and working my way up. My sister, that same friend who runs marathons, and I want to do the Pretty Muddy women's mud run in Chicago in September so that's my current goal. :smile:

I'm the same way! I'm 5'2ish and 185 never done ANYTHING athletic in my life. To be honest I think my family came to my first 5k because they couldn't believe I'd do such a thing! Haha.

We have more in common then I thought, and to be honest the extra weight for me has been a burden. (Not to mention seeing my chubby legs in finish photos makes me want to lose weight more!)

You are not alone in this, Once we get the weight off we will get better at this. My advice: Do a few 5k's before attempting anything bigger. The 10k I shouldnt have done but did because I thought I'd have a month to train and didnt count on getting ill.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I did the Pigman Triathlon in 2004 and oh yeah, there was definite vomit going on. I tell people who see the pig I got, "Hey! I puked for that pig!"
  • Sierrasdawn2
    Sierrasdawn2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I run, and have completed many races...from 5K to Marathons. That feeling of being sick and wanting to ( or actually doing) throw up, is kinda normal...if you push yourself, which most people do in a race. I sometimes also feel it during training when I run 18 miles or more.
    I have heard it is because of the stomach and contents are being shook up during the run...maybe...
    I also think it has to do with the effort.

What helps me is the juice from a real orange and to just sit still for awhile. I don't drink a bunch of water...and I can never eat real food immediately after a race...slices of orange is the only thing that makes me feel better.

The way I look at it now....I am not going to actually WIN the race...it's ok if I take it a bit easy and actually enjoy the whole experience.
    Love the Run!!!
  • LizHR
    LizHR Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have not been sick but felt pretty queasy a few times, especially if I tried my version of a spint finish (i.e.anything faster than a granny hobble). I get dizzy easily anyway.

Try eating something protein and something sweet at the end of the race. My wierd but it works combination was a slice of ham or cold chicken, or a boiled egg, and then a (small) chocolate bar or a honey sandwich. Stays down OK & balances the blood sugar drop that I think causes it.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Thanks guys! Keep the stories and tips coming. I feel better now knowing that it's a normalish thing. Knowing I can do everything right and still be sick is also comforting as I thought I was doing something wrong.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    When I used to race, I *aspired* to push myself so hard that I would throw up after I finished. It never happened, so I am pretty jelly! :wink:
  • gettheledout3372
    gettheledout3372 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've run everything from 5k to two marathons without puking, though I would very often feel like I was going to at the end of my longer training runs (18 miles when the heat index is creeping up towards 100 is not fun o.O ). I came very close during my first marathon (bent over and heaving, but managed to keep it together somehow), but that was also right after my exhaustion-addled brain thought it would be a good idea to try to dry-swallow some advil liquigels around Mile 20.

I have a pretty weak stomach in general, so I find that I need to eat a nice big meal, but waaaay before I run, and then maybe some crackers or toast closer to race time. Some naseau is normal, but puking should be a very-rarely-to-never kind of thing.

I would change up what, how much and how often you eat before races to see what works for you, and don't do more than nibble & sip right afterwards until the nausea passes. The hot and cold feelings seem a bit odd, but heatstroke shouldn't really be a concern this early in the year.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My last couple of races I get really queasy at the end of them - one of them I was actually recovering from the flu only to get it again - so I won't count that.

However I think my nauseous/faint feeling comes from the sudden stop after running. With training I do a 5 minute cool down walk, but after a race I get the medal and then I typically walk to a place where I stretch. So my "cool down walk" is maybe 1 minute. I start feeling faint and queasy within a few minutes.

I am still working on it, but I have yet to get sick in front of others - and honestly I've never seen it at any of my races, but that could be because I'm not coming in in the top 10%.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    RE: electrolytes

Not sure that's it as I was sipping Gaterade and water throughout the race.

look at the contents of gaterade - and then look at the contents of a propper electrolye powder that is mixed to drink and you ll realise what your body will be missing the pace you re expecting it to perform at.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    When I first started running 2 years ago I'd feel fine right after the run, and as we stretched as well but on my walk back towards the bus station (10-minute walk from the running store) and while waiting for the bus I'd feel slightly nauseous for a few minutes and then it would pass. E-mailed my guide whose also an avid runner about it and she suggested eating something after the run that was easy on my stomach and that my electrolytes were maybe a bit off. The next time I went running with her I had brought a bit of easily digestible food but she took out a banana for herself and she also had one for me. Ever since then if I'm feeling hungry or a bit off, in terms of digestion or anything post-run I'll eat a banana before eating anything else as it is stomach-friendly.

But yes, feeling nauseous either means something's not right with your electrolyte balance and heat stress is taking over or you pushed too hard or it's just..pure adrenalin wearing off.

As far as Gatorade...Some are fine with it but I personally prefer something a bit more "high-end" such as eLoad. It uses a different carb as Gatorade/Powerade, is lightly flavored (heat and pushing oneself tends to increase flavors which can upset stomach) and Powerade/Gatorade only replaces potassium and sodium and not necessarily at their optimal levels either. What you also lose in sweat (in lower concentrations) are magnesium, calcium and zinc.

So I'd suggest trying out something that has NO protein in it as it could make your stomach work harder (Endurox R4 has a few grams protein) protein is fine pre or post-workout but during you want carbs as your fuel source. And if you really want to stick with Gatorade...water it down so it's more gentle on the stomach
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    @Amybg1 VERY helpful! I will go to The Running Room and check that out!
  • penguinlibrarian
    penguinlibrarian Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The only race I've ever thrown up at was unfortunately right in front of a Earthwise healthy grocery store. It was a 5k and I got my fastest time ever -- 24 minutes -- but then I ralphed all over the parking lot, right in front of the frontdoors. Felt sorry for the people leaving with their bags of groceries having to watch a puking running. THAT'S appetizing.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    @Missybct

I had half a multigrain raisin pita thingy they gave us at the end of the 5k and at the 10K I managed 3/4 of a whole wheat bagel.

I usually carb load the night before...like spaghetti or something. That morning, I eat about an hour to an hour and a half before the race, stop at a bathroom on the way there...go back to the bathroom once I get there, don't eat any more. Enough calories, but Iapretty "empty stomach" so that I don't get any surprises on the course. : )

I sip water before the race a bit slowly. I don't need to drink during a 5K unless there are hills and it's extremely hot.

I usually push hard during a race...about two minutes a mile faster than my normal easy runs, without even realizing it. I run by my level of breathing...making sure I can sustain, sometimes adding in some interval pushes if I'm trying to pass someone.

At the race line, I often have to put my headdown and get very still for a minute to catch my breath and let heartrate return to normal. Sometimes, I cry. I can't help it. I was gasping wildly for breath my first 5K this year. It was attractive. I think I would have thrown up if I tried to walk aroun--I had to sprint toward the finish to maintain a lead. (The feeling tends to pass faster if I beat my opponent. LOL)

Edit to add: I usually don't feel like eating much that day. Sometimes not much the day after, just very tired. By the third day, I'm ravenous! I WANT FOOD NOW...ALL DAY! That's just me.