people always commenting on your diet?

2»

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    I don't mention I'm trying to lose weight so people don't say anything.
  • IndieCountryCutie
    IndieCountryCutie Posts: 14 Member
    That's one reason I'm relucant to tell people I'm trying to lose weight...

ditto! the only people that know i'm even trying to lose weight right now are the friends i've made on this site. being that i've been overweight all my life and constantly trying one thing or another to lose weight i've grown to seriously dislike "food police" type comments and so now i just keep it all to myself.
  • Jo5ie
    Jo5ie Posts: 33 Member
    I take my dad shopping every Saturday and he insists on giving me a bag of buns and boxes/ large bars of chocolates. I used to say no I don't want them so he then starting saying "are you still on that stupid diet of yours" so I gave up arguing with him. I find it hard to resist the treats on Saturdays and have found it quite destructive and spend my week trying to make up for over eating then. I don't mind having a blow out every week but it's not even how I would choose to blow my calories and I have no willpower!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    does anyone else find that when people know you're on a diet or trying to lose weight, they CONSTANTLY comment any time you're eating? at work if i have anything not healthy, like a two finger kit kat (at 107 calories, not breaking the bank) i get at least one comment of 'oo, i thought you were on a diet' with a sneery face, or 'that within your calories is it?'
    only so many times i can say 'yes it is' and getting a disbelieving look in return
    and then when i have a cup a soup they roll their eyes and say it's not enough food for lunch.

it's not like i have 1100 calories made up of chocolate and one cup a soup a day - i eat well, spread my food out throughout the day and have a small amount of the tasty/cravy things to stop me going nuts.

i've been steadily losing weight since january (192 pounds down to 168) doing what i'm doing - why do they feel the need to comment?!

I've had a few people say the foods I eat are weird. The strangest thing I've ate is Dill Pickle chips that I believe are made out of chia seeds.
  • becka9266
    becka9266 Posts: 16 Member
    I take my dad shopping every Saturday and he insists on giving me a bag of buns and boxes/ large bars of chocolates. I used to say no I don't want them so he then starting saying "are you still on that stupid diet of yours" so I gave up arguing with him. I find it hard to resist the treats on Saturdays and have found it quite destructive and spend my week trying to make up for over eating then. I don't mind having a blow out every week but it's not even how I would choose to blow my calories and I have no willpower!

Could you have fun with it? Like light a fire and throw them in, as sort of a stress reliever? Or watch them blow up in the microwave? Or throw them at people? Maybe not that. :)

Or, you could drive straight to your local firestation and donate them to the firefighters on duty. I do this every year with the leftover pies and cakes my M-I-L brings for Christmas/Thanksgiving dinner. I've told her we try to avoid sweets, but I always end up with 3 pies with nowhere to put them but my hips. So every year the guys and gals at my local station get a ton of pies/sugary stuff. And every year they are so, sooo thankful.

Plus you get the bonus of saying you donated the food, so if your dad ever found out he can't be mad at you for wasting food.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Someone I used to date would constantly do this to me.. So I started with "Youre going to wear that?" and commented and picked at pretty much everything he wore.. then when he got fed up one day and asked WTF my problem was.. I said thats how it is when you question everything I eat. Fun, right? :laugh:
  • I love the "Do you think you should be eating that?" I want to tell them to shove it. When I go for something sweet when I am at home I always look at my husband and tell him I don't want to hear one word...
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    l live with someone like that and deal with it 24/7. I tell her my diet consists of eating 5-6 meals through out the day spaced every few hours. 3 meals and 2-3 snacks. the person who comments about it is herself in starving mode eats 500 calories if their lucky.
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    I just say im not on a diet....im on a lifestyle change and some days you just have to give your body want it wants!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    My husband recently did this.

He bought me some chocolate. I decided one night I had calories to spare and wanted two squares. He gave me crap about eating it! I actually cried because he was giving me mixed signals and I told him not to buy me chocolate again unless he actually wanted me to eat it and not guilt trip me. XD
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    i can relate - i have been on your side of that conversation.
    it's really frustrating and yeah it does get kindof embarrassing (at first), but then after a while, it's enraging.
    it's like "excuse me for wanting to have a healthier body and for wanting a leaner shape. and sorry for not treating my body like a trash bag."

it's people like that that really get on my nerves.
    you just have to ignore them.

grin and bear it. :)
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Happens to me nearly every.single.work.day.
    I'm over it.

I'm eating something.
    "Hey, doesn't that have a lot of carbs?" "Well, I'm not doing low carb." "But carbs make you fat." "Shut it."

Later that day....
    "Hey, since you aren't watching carbs why don't you just drink kool-aid instead of water?"

Shoot me.
  • itslouiejay
    itslouiejay Posts: 26 Member
    Sometimes when people are like that I try to be as off-putting as they are. To the point it makes them uncomfortable. I get a weird thrill out of it.

co-worker: "You need to eat more. What health kick is this?"
    me: "It's not. I'm just making better choices"
    co-worker: "Well it really seems like you're on a crazy diet. You only brought meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts. You need more."
    me: "What I brought is plenty. I'm just trying to be less fat."
    co-worker: "You're not fat- you need to eat more"
    me: "If you knew my weight, my health or anything about me you'd know this is long over-due. Would you like to phone my doctor to discuss this?"
    co-worker: "oh- I didn't mean. That's too personal..."
    me: "well it wasn't stopping you a minute ago when you announced that I'm on a 'crazy diet'. Why stop now?"

And now she NEVER talks to me about my food/my weight or anything that revolve around her opinions. Just the way I like it :)

Love this response! Ha!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    I don't know why they feel the need to comment.:tongue:
  • HKSJS
    HKSJS Posts: 23 Member
    'that within your calories is it?'
    only so many times i can say 'yes it is' and getting a disbelieving look in return

^^ This
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    I had a gal ask me "Are you going to eat all of that?!" when we were out to lunch this weekend. I wasn't actually, I was saving half of it for dinner, but for her sake I just looked at her and said "Damn straight!" and proceeded to take a huge bite of my flank steak & garlic veggies. :tongue:
    Way yummier and actually way more nutrient dense than her iceberg lettuce smothered in cheese and cream (aka caesar salad).

I generally don't tell people I'm trying to eat healthy or changing anything, because 9 times out of 10 it triggers some sort of unfavorable response.
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 114 Member
    I'm very lucky in that the two people I work closest with are also healthy living..and both understand that this is life and we're not perfect and we can have a piece of damn chocolate if we want! I have a great support system in my co-workers!

My husband, on the other hand, THINKS he's being supportive when he nitpicks about my piece of cake or bowl of ice cream. I have politely, and not so politely, informed him that that is not the way to be supportive. LOL And then eat it anyway. I'm a dessert girl. I make it fit. LOL And I've lost 21lbs thank you very much!! :)
  • Mrsmorman
    Mrsmorman Posts: 29 Member
    Sometimes when people are like that I try to be as off-putting as they are. To the point it makes them uncomfortable. I get a weird thrill out of it.

co-worker: "You need to eat more. What health kick is this?"
    me: "It's not. I'm just making better choices"
    co-worker: "Well it really seems like you're on a crazy diet. You only brought meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts. You need more."
    me: "What I brought is plenty. I'm just trying to be less fat."
    co-worker: "You're not fat- you need to eat more"
    me: "If you knew my weight, my health or anything about me you'd know this is long over-due. Would you like to phone my doctor to discuss this?"
    co-worker: "oh- I didn't mean. That's too personal..."
    me: "well it wasn't stopping you a minute ago when you announced that I'm on a 'crazy diet'. Why stop now?"

And now she NEVER talks to me about my food/my weight or anything that revolve around her opinions. Just the way I like it :)
  • Mrsmorman
    Mrsmorman Posts: 29 Member
    I LOVE IT...
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Luckily my boyfriend and family are very supportive and don't sabotage or make comments that have a negative slant. Everywhere else though..it happens.

And living in a small town in the South, most everyone knows I'm trying to be healthy and lose weight, and yet they still offer me junk. Especially at work, my boss tries to insist that I eat the Pizza Hut pizza she ordered or the McD's sausage biscuits. NO THANK YOU!