How many times a day do you eat?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    six small meals a day works well for many people, because it stops them from feeling hungry and wanting to have unplanned snacks, and makes sticking to their eating plan easier.

True and it's also easier to stay within your daily calorie limit.

Really? Hmm...if I eat a breakfast (say someone at work brings in bagels, or I go out with my family for a weekend breakfast), I'm ravenous all day. I can easily go over my calories by 1000cal or more (and I eat 3000cal or more a day as it is) and still feel hungry at bedtime.

However, if I don't eat until the afternoon, I feel comfortable all day, and get to eat a couple of VERY satisfying meals after work when I can enjoy them.

The point here is that meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss (many studies are beginning to recommend short term...i.e. around 24hrs...fasting for improving virtially every measurable health marker, by the way). Your body isn't drained of ANYTHING after you sleep. Most often THERE IS STILL FOOD IN YOUR STOMACH. How the hell will you be drained of nutrients if you're still digesting dinner?

Seriously people, think this stuff through.

Oh, and for the record...hunger...for the majority in todays 1st world society, is a matter of boredom and habit...and not much else.

You're a fan of Berkhan aren't you? :)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Every day is different.

Sometimes I eat 3 meals and a big snack at night. Sometimes I skip lunch and just snack all day and have a small dinner. Sometimes I eat a huge lunch and just snack the rest of the day.

The only thing that is fairly consistent is that I like a huge breakfast.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    six small meals a day works well for many people, because it stops them from feeling hungry and wanting to have unplanned snacks, and makes sticking to their eating plan easier.

Hunger or withdrawal (or boredom or stress)?

"Our hypothesis is that a diet containing an abundance of processed food and low in micronutrient-rich plant foods can create physical symptoms of withdrawal when digestion ceases in between meals. Our contention is that during the catabolic phase of the digestion and refeeding cycle, when digestive activities cease, these withdrawal symptoms, misperceived as "hunger", develop from a diet that is inadequate or poor in micronutrients. We call these symptoms "toxic hunger". It is our clinical experience that such withdrawal symptoms drive overeating behavior and are a major factor leading to obesity."

Changing perceptions of hunger on a high nutrient density diet
    http://www.nutritionj.com/content/9/1/51
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As this board proves if you ask five people you might very well get five different answers on what they "KNOW" is right. I say whatever works for you. I am not trying to lose weight - just maintain. I'm just under 5'3" and 104-105 lbs, so this works for me, but not necessarily for others.

I typically eat
    breakfast 200-300 calories
    lunch 300-500 calories
    dinner - varies greatly
    after dinner snack - varies

My after dinner snack is always fruit and either carrots with laughing cow or popcorn. It's always later than 6:00 which for some is too late to eat, but my son goes to bed at 7:30 and it's always after that. Works for me. One thing that will change my plan up is if I'm not hungry - which doesn't usually happen. The other day though for instance I had my typical lunch but also had a huge cinnamon roll I was craving. So by dinner I was still stuffed. So that pushed dinner back extremely late, so no after dinner snack needed. Just do what works for your body!
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    3 meals (usually 200-400 calorie range per) and anywhere from 3-5 snack types in between. I love eating. :)

Same here.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner.

Some days I'll have a mid morning snack & everyday I eat an indulgent snack like a 1/2 cup of ice cream and some of my favorite candy that is portioned out in the mix.

There are some days I don't feel like eating Breakfast so I'll up my calories at lunch or dinner to make up for it.
  • urbliss777
    Options
    I have heard it should be every 4 hours, 3 meal plus 2 snacks. It really depends what your lifestyle is ect. I am trying to eat healthier in general and I will be eventually doing Body building Bikini division, when I am ready. So eating habits are very different especially with Sports as well (When I used to Box I ate VERY strict).

For myself, now. I have either a Protein shake (workout days) for breakfast or Turkey Bacon and a fruit or egg- Something small (non workout days).

Lunch is a Salad and Protein or Veggies and Protein.

and then Supper is a lot of protein. and maybe some more Veggies. Again, this is just me. I don't advise you to. I limit my Carb intake (that are not in Veggies or Fruit). I don't really do snacks. I eat a lot of Protein b/c that is what I am used to. And I feel super wrong when I eat a meal without protein in it.

I think (not 100% sure, just that I have heard) If you eat small meals throughout the day, that is is easier to lose/ maintain weight.
  • MarianneElizabethRDH
    Options
    5-6 times a day.
    Breakfast
    Mid-Morning Snack
    Lunch
    Afternoon Snack
    Supper
    Nighttime Snack (sometimes)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Once
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Once

Nice :)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am a snacker. I eat smaller meals, but snack pretty much throughout the day. I've always been like that but of course had to make adjustments to make my weight loss journey successful. I still snack throughout the day just on much healthier things and when I do crave my guilty pleasure(and can't substitute for anything) than I just allow myself to have it. Portion control and Moderation is key! :)
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I eat too many times in a day.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Usually four times and the last two are usually 1000+ calories each :( This isn't on purpose, of course... :(((
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    3 meals and 2 snacks a day is what seems to work for me.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    I eat typically three meals a day, and two snacks. if you asked my husband he would tell you that I eat every two hours