How often do you need to buy new running shoes?

Options
I think mine lasted 3 months. Bought them for 100$ Nike. How much do you pay for your shoes and how long do they last?

Replies

• Dgold13
    Dgold13 Posts: 14
    Options
    Average cost for me is about $120 I try and get between 500 and 700 miles per pair. 3 months is not very long unless you are putting alot of miles on them. do you wear them all the time or just for running. You might try rotating a few pairs to help make them last longer.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It's typically recommended that you replace them every 300-500 miles (and yes, you should track your miles on your shoes). I'm hard on shoes, so I usually get about 250 miles before they start to break down and become uncomfortable. The more weight I lose, the more mileage I'm getting out of them though.

Get fitted at a running specialty store. Find the right shoe for you. Most running stores don't carry Nike, so you'll probably be looking at Brooks, Mizuno, Sauchony, etc. They will probably hold up longer than Nike shoes will.

Edit to add that I usually spend $100-$120 on shoes. But, once you've been fitted and know what shoes work for you, you can always shop online for a better deal the next time.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I typically get multiple years on pairs of shoes. Last year I bought a pair of Asics specifically for running. Have about 3 months on them (170 miles). The sole around the outside on both shoes is breaking down. Cannot use them for running any longer and they are uncomfortable for walking also. They were ~ $50.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Varies depending on shoe. I've gotten only 200 out of some shoes, and 500 from others. My running log at RunningAhead tracks shoe mileage--I start paying attention around 200 miles, and get new shoes as soon as I notice any new aches and pains that indicate my current pair is breaking down.

I've picked up shoes on sale for as little as $50, and paid full price over $100. I usually go through 3 or 4 pair a year. And yes, do get fitted at a specialty running store.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Ooops. I'm glad I found this forum. How would you track miles you walk/run?
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Ooops. I'm glad I found this forum. How would you track miles you walk/run?

You either need to do it manually (keep a notepad or a list, or some people keep the shoes in the box and track the miles on the box) or use an app like Nike+ that tracks it for you.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I only run in them, don't wear them otherwise. I run about 10-15 miles/week and am about 50 pounds overweight. I replace mine every 3 months. If I were a normal weight, I'd replace them less often.

I buy Mizuno Wave Inspires and spend about $115.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I only wear them when I workout, but I definitely went over 200 miles with them. Need to go shopping!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My last pair I got 2800 miles running out of them. This pair I got at the beginning of March has a little over 500 miles on them. They are too expensive to replace every 5 to 6 weeks so I run until they are dead.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have 2 pairs, one is my long run pair and the other is my mon-fri pair. Well, I have a 3rd pair that is for walking around. They are all the same brand and model. I pay around a hundred for the initial pair, and then at the end of the year when the next version is going to be coming out I search online and buy as many pairs as I can at half price so I have them waiting in my closet when its time to cycle in a new pair. Basically I get about 6 months per pair.
  • Madmadz77
    Madmadz77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Excellent question!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on what you are accustomed to, e.g., if you need a supportive shoe, the support will wear down - and you need to replace more frequently, while if you were a 'minimalist' shoe (and do not depend on the shoe that much) - you will need to replace less frequently.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    great post! how do you know when to replace them?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I get unusual aches and pains when my shoes get old--for me, one common place is right behind my toes in the middle of my foot. But since our feet and running styles are different, your shoes will probably wear down differently. If nothing else in your routine is changing and you start feeling discomfort in your feet, knees, or hips, it could well be the shoes.
  • LoraF83
    Options

Typically, you know they need to be replaced when they start to hurt your feet.

My last pair started getting uncomfortable in the midfoot area. I did a relay run and got a blister on the ball of my foot. I only ran 4.4 miles that day - so it shouldn't have bothered my feet. But since my shoes were breaking down, it was changing the way my foot was striking. I got new shoes later that day and no more problems! I knew they were getting close to needing to be replaced since I knew how many miles I had on them.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Average cost for me is about $120 I try and get between 500 and 700 miles per pair. 3 months is not very long unless you are putting alot of miles on them. do you wear them all the time or just for running. You might try rotating a few pairs to help make them last longer.

I am soooo jealous. I get around 250 miles on a pair of shoes, maximum... even though I rotate my running shoes. Around 250 miles, my knees and/or ankles start hurting. Then I know that its time to get new shoes. I currently spend ~ $110 per pair of shoes and buy 3 at a time. On this rotation, I am wearing: Mizuno Wave Rider 16, Asics Gel Cumulus 14 and Brooks Ghost 5. I liked Brooks Launch but I think that they may be discontinuing it. And I also liked Saucony Ride.
  • LoraF83
    Options

I am soooo jealous. I get around 250 miles on a pair of shoes, maximum... even though I rotate my running shoes. Around 250 miles, my knees and/or ankles start hurting. Then I know that its time to get new shoes. I currently spend ~ $110 per pair of shoes and buy 3 at a time. On this rotation, I am wearing: Mizuno Wave Rider 16, Asics Gel Cumulus 14 and Brooks Ghost 5. I liked Brooks Launch but I think that they may be discontinuing it. And I also liked Saucony Ride.

We wear the same shoes! I just got done with a pair of Brooks Ghost 5. I'm rotating between the Wave Rider 16 and a pair of Newton Gravitys.
    I tried the Saucony, but didn't love it. I've not tried the Asics though. I might slip a pair of those on at my next fitting just to see.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have two pair and I rotate them. On the average, because I rotate them, I get six months from each pair.

I spend $120.00 on a pair of shoes.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have been using Asics Landreth 7's now for awhile... on my second pair in fact - for running. They cost around $115 and i can most of the time get 500-700 miles out of them, depending. I recommend any Asics though, that fit your foot accordingly.

$100 fo ra pair of shoes that only last you 3 months doesnt sound good at all.
    Find a better shoe.
    are you using them for running?

if you have running shoes for running then only use them for running. do not use them for anything else.
  • floppybackend
    floppybackend Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well according to the recent study that was shown on BBC about exercise myths - if anyone remembers it involved the HIT training and was excellent. Whether you spend £10 or £100 doesnt make an once of difference as running onto the heels not on the balls is bad no matter what you buy. The study proved that all the hype by Nike etc isnt medially proven - its all jargon.

As for the gait - apparently gait is normal and no shoe can put that right.

I think you are better buying a sensibly priced trainer and replacing more frequently.