I seem can't meet 1200 calories a day

Options
I'm a university student which means I have live cheaply and don't have any cooking skills whatsoever (I get stressed cooking a frozen pizza), so making big meals with lots of ingredients just doesn't happen.
I always thought I'd been going way over my calorie limit when I tried calculating it myself throughout the day but then I started putting the stuff I eat on here and I realised I'd been adding at least 50 calories to the things I was eating just to be safe. This left me with well over 200 uneaten calories by the end of the day.
The easiest thing to do would be to have lunch, but I'm never hungry in the afternoon; I have cereal and coffee for breakfast and that's me full until around 5pm and then I can only just make it to 500 calories for that meal.
I also aim to burn 500 calories a day through exercise (I took a break yesterday because a new type of exercise killed my calves) so I really do need to reach 1200 calories.
Is there a way to make yourself hungry or add a few hundred calories without eating much? (this sounds like a stupid question but I can't even bring myself to have a drink of water never mind eat something after breakfast until I'm really really hungry in the evening).

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am on the same cals as you
    I"ll add you and you can look at what I have

make sure you eat back your exercise

and eating lunch is very important
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You should not be full all day from cereal. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but this is a time where you may just have to make yourself eat. Try bringing a quarter cup of cashews with you to class and eat it throughout the afternoon if you have to. That's 200 calories right there.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    1200 calories should be ridiculously easy to consume. Sometimes you just have to eat when you aren't hungry.
    I routinely ate 3500 calories a day because I had to in order to do what I wanted to do.

I'd reccommend eating lunch tomorrow, you'll get used to it. eating about 500 calories per meal 3x per day is really easy to do.
    Breakfast you can do cereal and a couple of eggs or some fruit.
    Lunch do a salad with chicken on it. add some cheese and olive oil if you need more calories.
    dinner just do a lean meat and a carbohydrate (rice or potatoes) and some veggies.

Keep an apple or banana on hand for a quick snack between classes.
    I always have a bag/can of peanuts or almonds, easy way to get 100-200 calories.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I only realised how little I was eating when I started logging on here and found I had to eat MORE. This was surprising as my BMI meant I was obese. I was so lethargic and had continual brain fog, so doing anything physical was incredibly difficult. I bumped up my calorie intake and suddenly I'm feeling wonderful again. The weight is slowly dropping off and I'm getting even better results with the tape measure.

I still find it hard to eat as much as I should, although I haven't been logging for the last couple of weeks as I'm visiting my bloke and wanted to have a stress free holiday, but when I get home I'll be starting again and maybe including some hemp powder and going back to full fat milk to help increase my cals.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem in the last couple of days- I have just not been hungry. I've actually just had a chocolate bar to make sure I come in at over 1200 today. I think I might be coming down with something and that's why I'm not hungry, but in your case, sounds like student eating has made you used to eating low calories.

I agree that forcing yourself to eat some lunch is probably a good start. No cooking required to make a sandwich.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    1lb roast beef
    1/2lb pepperjack cheese

1520 kcal
    24 carb
    88 fat
    168 protein

Tastes good (albiet a little messy with no bread) and the only prep is to rip off a half slice of cheese and wrap it in roast beef.
  • Mypie07
    Mypie07 Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't always get my 1200 calories a day either and I never eat my exercise calories when I am trying to loose weight. I think some easy tips for you would be to look at what you are not eating...are you getting 2 servings of dairy, 1-3 servings of nuts or legumes, 2-3 servings of fruits, lots of veggies - raw or cooked, and whole grains? Easy enough to grab a banana, apple, yogurt, pack of nuts, glass of milk, some carrot or celery sticks. I am not a nutritionist but find this is what helps me. You might want to talk to a nutritionist or a fitness trainer or your doctor or the nurse at college to get their professional advice. Water is really important for your body too. I recently was told to drink half your weight in ounces of water a day...so if you way 130 lbs - you should drink 65 ounces of water a day. This really helps your body process what you eat and keeps all systems running well on the insides - plus helps your skin and you think better when you are hydrated properly. Good luck!!!!
  • kajin1
    kajin1 Posts: 9
    Options
    When you eat your meals, use full-fat mayonaise, butter, salad dressing..... These will help increase your overall calories without increasing the bulk. I agree with the above posters, you should be eating something for lunch. Maybe a protein shake?
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Maybe get a decent protein shake powder to put in some almond milk (or regular milk if you like it) to drink mid-morning or close to lunch time, add some peanut butter to get more cals in if it isn't enough. Blender bottles are great to throw stuff in and shake up while running out the door. The peanut butter might have to be an 'eat it off the spoon' thing if you needed it though lol...I think it would get stuck to the wisk ball.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am small, 5'2" and can eat 1400 /day to maintain. I must exercise to be able to eat back those cals just to eat what I consider a normal amount of food. One thing I do is eat my protein on a HUGE salad with only 1T balsamic vinegar (not vinagrette). I weigh out the 4-6 ounces of protein (grilled or backed). I put other veggies in salad but... eating 4 cups of chopped lettuce with your protein will fill you up for a long while. I usually go to bed a little hungry but... I have learned to enjoy that feeling as it means I am doing good on not eating too much.

I think that the feeling of hunger (unless weak and dizzy) needs to be ok.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1lb roast beef
    1/2lb pepperjack cheese

1520 kcal
    24 carb
    88 fat
    168 protein

Tastes good (albiet a little messy with no bread) and the only prep is to rip off a half slice of cheese and wrap it in roast beef.

winner!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    When you eat your meals, use full-fat mayonaise, butter, salad dressing..... These will help increase your overall calories without increasing the bulk. I agree with the above posters, you should be eating something for lunch. Maybe a protein shake?

uhh, cholesterol much??
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Have you always not eaten well? It sounds like you're depressed or having some emotional or even physical issues that have stunted your appetite.In the absence of any health issues, you should fix a couple protein shakes with low sugar content and force yourself to eat. Cereal is not a good breakfast nor enough to keep you all day. You should try and get up to half your calories at breakfast.

I can't cook and the kitchen gives me a panic attack. So, I understand how you feel. And I'm a ton older than you. But there are ways to fix good, healthy meals with very little effort. Look for a good food prep book. Men's Health has several.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am small, 5'2" and can eat 1400 /day to maintain. I must exercise to be able to eat back those cals just to eat what I consider a normal amount of food. One thing I do is eat my protein on a HUGE salad with only 1T balsamic vinegar (not vinagrette). I weigh out the 4-6 ounces of protein (grilled or backed). I put other veggies in salad but... eating 4 cups of chopped lettuce with your protein will fill you up for a long while. I usually go to bed a little hungry but... I have learned to enjoy that feeling as it means I am doing good on not eating too much.

I think that the feeling of hunger (unless weak and dizzy) needs to be ok.

it makes me sad that you think going to bed hungry is ok, especially at maintenance.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    A bowl of cereal for breakfast keeps you full until 5pm? Come on now...
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I would try little things throughout the day, like a small bag of nuts or some yogurt. Something quick you can eat inbetween classes. I would also try some PB&J (quick and easy and cheep).
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to make yourself hungry or add a few hundred calories without eating much?

Say hello to my little friends - the jar of peanut butter and a spoon.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was eating 300-500 calories per day max for several months and was never hungry. That's because my metabolism slowed down to compensate. I was weak and dizzy but not hungry. When I started eating more it was HARD I struggled to get to 500 then 900 then above 1200 and now I'm struggling most days to get to my goal of 1750 BUT I can definitely eat above 1400 easily and my metabolism has sped up so I do feel hungry at times now. It just takes some effort and getting used to. Obviously I had other issues that I had to work through as well. I would suggest making little changes such as eating lunch and then snacks and before you know, it will become easier and you'll wonder how you got by on so little before. GL! :flowerforyou:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You are in college, the obvious choice is beer.
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Snack, snack and snack some more! Fruit, nuts etc .
    I always find that if I have a snack sitting handy while I'm working or something then I tend to eat it without thinking!

I hope you manage to find something that works for you :smile: