Share your Zumba/Spinning success

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

Former Zumba/Spinning addict here.

It was a long hard road but I finally got off the wagon about 6 months ago and decided to start lifting heavy. Sometimes it's a little hard going to the gym and seeing people on their Spinning bikes. Or a girl walking into the lockers all sweaty. I think 'She probably just got out of a Zumba class'. But overall it may be hard but I'm willing to fight that battle every day.

I'm also here to help support anyone else trying to give up Zumba/Spinning. It's an uphill battle but you can do it. I'm living proof.

:flowerforyou:
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    But why give up zumba/spinning? You can do cardio daily and add them with weight training a few days a week.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    try everything
    I have done zumba with my wife at the club and it was fun. I spin minimum 4x a week and its a great cardio workout with
    fun music.
    but body pump is my favorite..
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I do spinning because I have zero co-ordination.

It is as hard as you make it - you are in control of the bike and how hard you want to push yourself.

You could take all the tension off and just cruise through 45 minutes without breaking a sweat if you really wanted to...
  • Ducati58
    Ducati58 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    LOVE spinning....did it to keep my bike legs over the winter....really improved my leg strength going up hills on my outside bike....great sweat and you adjust the tension according to what you can handle....easier on my knees than Zumba which has alot of hopping and side to side motion....there is a learning curve with Zumba too whereas the spinning classes there is not .... just make sure your spin instructor adjusts your bike correctly and enjoy!
  • thisgirlhere
    thisgirlhere Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love spinning. I used to watch the class and think it would be impossible but actually it's great for a newbie.

Usually the room is dark and everyone is facing the instructor and can't see you so grab a bike at the back.

Also you're in controll of how hard it is. You need to keep your legs moving for an hour but if you dont add any resistance on your bike then just moving your legs is easy. Then as you build up your stamina you add more resistance.

Try it. You'll only know if you like it once you've done it.
  • Btskinny
    Btskinny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Zumba!! I've done it at home but I started going to a fitness studio. I've lost 27lbs and 9 inches!!! I love it so much I want to be trained to teach it!! YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba for a couple of years. It does take coordination and I would say about your 3rd class you are comfortable with the moves. I like to change things up and started doing spin a year ago and now addicted. The first time the seat does kill your butt. I invested in a $15 bike seat cover with cushion. Some gals just have gotten use to it. I now only do spin and burn approximately 200 to 300 calories in 1 hour more than Zumba does but I think that happens when our body gets use to a class. Your teachers will make a difference too. Good luck but I think I would try both two or three time each and make a decision from there.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm really afraid to try spinning, I heard it was super hard....

It's as hard as you make it and you get stronger and fitter as you progress

in a 60 min spin class i hit on average 955 calories burned (5' 11, now 209 lbs (I was 225 a month ago))

But agree with others do both as it's good to change it up and confuse your body i do spin and circuit classes for cardio and a lifting plan on other days
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    With Zumba, times just flies. you are either too busy having fun, or trying to learn the moves the whole time, and 20 minutes on the treadmill, I'm like, this is really repetitive. and my arms are sore from running. I do get stronger running, but the clock is slow to move, with Zumba. I hardly knew the time has pass and it's 900 calories logged (HRM) Awesome.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love spinning. I used to watch the class and think it would be impossible but actually it's great for a newbie.

Usually the room is dark and everyone is facing the instructor and can't see you so grab a bike at the back.

Also you're in controll of how hard it is. You need to keep your legs moving for an hour but if you dont add any resistance on your bike then just moving your legs is easy. Then as you build up your stamina you add more resistance.

Try it. You'll only know if you like it once you've done it.

This ^^
  • carlaboerma
    Options
    I have two different zumba ones for the wii and I love them both. They are fun and time flies. My daughters even try to do some of it too which just makes me laugh.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA! It's a great, fun workout! And you'll enjoy it if you love to dance. I tried a spin class and it was ok. I'd rather do Zumba. :)
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

Former Zumba/Spinning addict here.

It was a long hard road but I finally got off the wagon about 6 months ago and decided to start lifting heavy. Sometimes it's a little hard going to the gym and seeing people on their Spinning bikes. Or a girl walking into the lockers all sweaty. I think 'She probably just got out of a Zumba class'. But overall it may be hard but I'm willing to fight that battle every day.

I'm also here to help support anyone else trying to give up Zumba/Spinning. It's an uphill battle but you can do it. I'm living proof.

:flowerforyou:

Did you ever wake up in the middle of the night with the 'Zumba Sweats'? A real medical condition forcing your to either participate in spontaneous acts of Zumbaring or watch it hunched over your laptop like a dirty mind shame?
  • patsycortez67
    Options
    Try Zumba its a blast, I've lost 24 lbs. mostly just doing Zumba and watching my calories.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Definitely try both. They are very different, but both easily adjust to your current fitness level. I do Zumba on occassion, and get a great workout, but I LOVE spinning.

Many people are intimidated by spin classes, but I'll let you in on a secret....85% of the people in there were just like you in the beginning. The nice thing about it is that you can adjust the workout to your needs, and you won't be alone in that. Very few people walk into a spin class the first time and find it easy. I believe it took me about 5 classes to get the hang of where the tension needed to be for me to stand, and another 2-3 classes to be able to stand for a full minute. I thought my pride would have a hars time with it, but many of the other participants chimed in with similar stories.

I've come from overweight newbie to instructor to road rider, here are my tips for getting started...

Go early for your first class to get fitted to the bike, and learn the basic positions and how to adjust the tension and use the brake. Your pelvic bones will hurt after even with proper fit, but this goes away after a few classes. The other thing to realize is that the instructors job is to lead the class. They teach to the mid-line, but you can make the workout as difficult or easy as you need to. For the first few classes are more about form and learning the bike. Don't expect to be an expert. If there is something you can't do, modify it, don't give up. For example, if they are doing a standing sprint (and like me when I started), you can't do that, do it seated. If a segment is too intense, back it off for 30s, catch your breath then join back in. You'll learn your limits and then you can challenge yourself to push past your comfort zone.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    ZUMBA LOVE!!!! AND BOKWA!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't think of spin class as too hard. The great thing about it is you can adjust your tension and slow down if you need to. It is the best cardio burner at the gym! Definitely more than Zumba. You will be drenched in sweat afterwards. Zumba is a little lighter cardio and fun if you like dancing. It depends on your workout goals.
  • tawnyd24
    tawnyd24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try them both to see which you like better. I luv to dance so really liked my first zumba class two weeks ago. I haven't taken a spin class in 15 years and didn't care for it but I hear every class varies depending on the instuctor.
  • KirstenMarie18
    KirstenMarie18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! There are days when I just don't feel like working out and that's when I pop in my Zumba dvd. It's a great workout but I don't feel like I'm working out. I feel like I'm in a dance class.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!