Dr. said no more carbs

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Went to yearly check up..all good except for high sugar... Dr. Said to get my energy through protirn...is this the adkins diet?

thats all they said, without elaborating further?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt the doctor actually said NO CARBS. People often post that their doctor said this, but it isn't quite what their doctor said--rather it turns out to be just what they heard, or how they've interpreted it. Doc probably said to lower carb intake, change out certain sorts of carbs for others, eat more protein/less carbs in general, etc.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    :huh: He must be right, he's a doctor! :ohwell:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Only bc I'm curious and do not trust some of the doctors I have worked with but did your doctor only run 1 test and decide this? Ever consider follow up testing to make sure there's a trend and see if the change is necessary?

This. And if he said "no carbs" , its pretty clear he knows 0 about nutrition.
    You can't possibly eat well with 0 carbs.

Ditching processed foods, and reducing the amounts of sugars you take in would be easy to sustain. 0 carb is impossible.
    Agreed...I'd get a second opinion...or at least a more detailed opinion by taking your test result information to a nutritionalist who can better advise how to meet your needs in a healthy way.
  • dennymau
    dennymau Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out all carbs just the starchy ones like bread, potatoes, pasta ect. It is the starch that turns to sugar. I eat plenty of fruit and veggies.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Only bc I'm curious and do not trust some of the doctors I have worked with but did your doctor only run 1 test and decide this? Ever consider follow up testing to make sure there's a trend and see if the change is necessary?

Ditching processed foods, and reducing the amounts of sugars you take in would be easy to sustain. 0 carb is impossible.

If I have more than 15 g of carb (that's 1 slice of ezekial sticks & stones bread) in one sitting, my blood glucose spikes to above healthy levels of upwards of 170mg/dl. If balanced out with 1 oz of cheese, I may be able to get 150-160mg/dl. Then I have to go for a brisk 30 minute walk & I can get it down to about 115-1120mg/dl (within acceptable range).

I eat close to NO carbs per meal until I can get my BG's in a good range. Anything above 140mg/dl is associated with organ damage. My meals are things like stuffed peppers, steak & eggs, salads with meats etc.

No rice, pasta,(brown or otherwise) potatoes or starchy veggies. Bread only in moderation and only just before the gym because weight training first spikes my BG (yes, I tested at the gym) but then I get nice even lows of 110-112 for the rest of the day.

It's complicated. A lot more complicated than you realize. :ohwell:

Are you SURE it's the carbs because 15 g is almost nothing. You needs atleast 50-100 g a day just to keep your body functioning correctly so your macros aren't being used for the wrong purpose.
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor and ask him what he meant. Asking a bunch of strangers on the internet to interpret your doctor's instructions is a bad idea.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I eat close to NO carbs per meal until I can get my BG's in a good range. Anything above 140mg/dl is associated with organ damage. My meals are things like stuffed peppers, steak & eggs, salads with meats etc.

If you eat peppers and lettuce, you're eating carbs.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Went to yearly check up..all good except for high sugar... Dr. Said to get my energy through protirn...is this the adkins diet?

This was my reaction too! OP, you really should go back to your doctor with this question. We have no idea what your tests were or what the results were or what they mean. None of us are qualified to give you this advice. Pick up the phone, call your doctor and either get an answer over the phone or schedule another appointment. Ask for specifics.

P.S. There is no such thing as a no carb diet, just low carb. We all need carbs and they're good for you if you pick the right ones.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Protim sounds yummy

Don't be a jerk. She clearly wrote "protirn". Protirn is delicious, by the way.

ermahgerd! protirn!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Hoping the Doc has a nutritional background.
    Does he understand that Protein spikes insulin too?

Also, and I dont mean this to be rude towards your doctor but, what physical condition is he/she in?
    Did he/she explain that if you lift weights you could curve the insulin issues?
    Most T2 diabetics can be reversed with simple weight lifting 3x-4x a week.
    Make the insulin work for you instead of against you.

E-mail this guy: http://www.hes.chhs.colostate.edu/faculty-staff/cordain.aspx
    and tell him what you are telling us.
    This is a doctor who knows his ****.
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Why don't you check out the South Beach diet? It isn't as hard core as Atkins and works more with Glycemic Index than carbs. There are good carbs out there such as fruit and veggies. Most everything has some sort of carb to it. I would mostly stay away from starches such as white rice, white potatoes, breads and pastas. A great grain that does has some good protein is quinoa. It even has protein in it.

When I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I was told to limit my carbs/fat/sugar, to eat more balanced meals and to exercise. I think you should definitely get some more test and maybe see a more specialized doctor.

Be smart, get a second opinion, do some research, get educated about what your issues are and take action.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    this is the third post in just a couple of days were someone has been 'advised' by their doctor to cut out carbs completely. Where are people finding these weirdos? I would get me a new doctor because clearly yours knows nothing about health and nutrition. If your blood sugars are unstable then eat wholegrain foods like brown rice, wholewheat pasta, wholemeal bread.... these are slow release carbs which keep you fuller for longer and keep your blood sugars more stable.

Snack on fruit, raw veggies and nuts and drink plenty of water
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I concur with ^. No carbs, really? Come on! So youre not allowed to eat whole grains? I'd stick to no processed foods and reducing your sugar intake but there are good carbs. Find them!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Did your Doc specify that you were diabetic / pre diabetic / metabolic syndrome or was it purely you have high level of blood sugar which you should ideally lower?

If it's the latter the you can achieve that without too much trouble with a lower carb diet rather than a low carb diet (which seems to be synonymous with a ketogenic diet on these boards but they are not necessarily one and the same. I don't think you really need to go down that route unless you want to.)

It's simple. Eat more protein to keep you full. Add in reasonable amounts of fat to help with your hormonal function and to make your food taste delicious. Keep carbs at about 100g or so a day (a bit more on the days you exercise.) Try to get as much of this as you can from non starchy vegetables. Add in some starchy carbs (potatoes / rice / yams etc) and see how you feel. Then add in other carbs (bread, pasta etc) and again see how you feel.

You could try Atkins / South Beach / Paleo / Smarter Science of Slim if you want a more structured approach but it is by no means necessary.
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

This was my reaction too! OP, you really should go back to your doctor with this question. We have no idea what your tests were or what the results were or what they mean. None of us are qualified to give you this advice. Pick up the phone, call your doctor and either get an answer over the phone or schedule another appointment. Ask for specifics.

P.S. There is no such thing as a no carb diet, just low carb. We all need carbs and they're good for you if you pick the right ones.

Yup all of this. No one here is qualified to give you medical advice, unless they have a medical degree and used their psychic powers to learn your blood work results. You have a doctor, ask him what he meant.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options

If I have more than 15 g of carb (that's 1 slice of ezekial sticks & stones bread) in one sitting, my blood glucose spikes to above healthy levels of upwards of 170mg/dl. If balanced out with 1 oz of cheese, I may be able to get 150-160mg/dl. Then I have to go for a brisk 30 minute walk & I can get it down to about 115-1120mg/dl (within acceptable range).

No rice, pasta,(brown or otherwise) potatoes or starchy veggies. Bread only in moderation and only just before the gym because weight training first spikes my BG (yes, I tested at the gym) but then I get nice even lows of 110-112 for the rest of the day.

It's complicated. A lot more complicated than you realize. :ohwell:

Are you SURE it's the carbs because 15 g is almost nothing. You needs atleast 50-100 g a day just to keep your body functioning correctly so your macros aren't being used for the wrong purpose.

I think you need like 100g of carbs to be used for your brain if you aren't in ketosis. I eat below 30g of carbs a day and am in ketosis and function just fine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Snack on fruit, raw veggies and nuts and drink plenty of water

can't help but laugh when people suggest fruit when someone mentions low carb or high blood sugar.

fruit sugar is still sugar. it will spike your blood sugar.....
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor and ask him what he meant. Asking a bunch of strangers on the internet to interpret your doctor's instructions is a bad idea.

This. People are recommending diets to try and we have no idea what your doctor's specific concerns or instructions are.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

This. People are recommending diets to try and we have no idea what your doctor's specific concerns or instructions are.

Her doctor is an *kitten*. What kind of medical professional advises a woman to cut carbs completely from her diet? All these women bouncing around on no carbs thinking it's great is a joke. In the short term you may very well lose a bunch of weight but if I stopped eating tomorrow I would also lose a load of weight by this time next week. Does weight loss equal good health? No.
    Nutrition is where healthy living and EFFECTIVE weight loss begins. And nutrition starts and ends with a healthy, balanced varied diet and women in particular have to be careful as undereating and overeating can effect their fertility greatly . Don't assume your doctor is right just because they are a 'doctor' I have worked with doctors and women for years and there are plenty of nonsensical idiot medical professionals out there who don't actually know anything about nutrition because it's not their area. They don't know everything.
    Use your common sense. I wouldn't take advice from anyone who told me to cut a whole food group put of my diet. I eat everything and still lose weight... because I exercise regularly and I eat in moderation