Why does pizza have such a bad reputation?

Options

Replies

• FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You know, I never really thought about it! For me, its not the pizza, its the quantity. I went out and had a big slice of pizza a couple weeks ago...lost a lb that day. Problem comes when a slice becomes 2, 3, 4....

Good question though...I am going to watch this one for the answers.

Same for me! I can eat a lot more 'healthier food' for the same calories as one or two slices of pizza and feel full. If I'm not going to eat 5-6 slices or more I don't see the point because I'll still be hungry after 2 slices and have no calories left. I do make pizza at home occasionally and I eat the whole thing (about 1250 calories worth) but I make sure to budget around that. So pizza every week just doesn't make sense for me.

ETA: When I lived in the states, I used to go to Pizza Hut and order a medium sized pepperoni pizza, 5 breadsticks, and 2 root beers (you know, the sharing lunch deal) and eat all of it myself. Then go home and make a boxed sheet cake with an entire tub of pre-made frosting and eat half of it with a huge bowl of ice cream and hot fudge of course. But that would be my only meal for the day. I did this a couple of times per week. I wasn't overweight but I was VERY unhealthy and had a ridiculously high BF%
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    it has both grains and dairy, a recipe for obesity
    There's nothing inherent to grains or dairy products causing obesity except excess of calories, in any reputable study that I've ever seen.

He knows that. He's being sarcastic.

Well refined grains and dairy are very easy to eat in large quantities. Obviously they're fine if you control your portions, but if you don't they lend themselves to overeating.

Very true. But that, in and of itself, does not make pizza inherently evil. People blame foods for obesity because they can't hold themselves accountable for their own will power.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Because anything that perfect must have been spawned from some kind of an evil deal.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am NOT giving up Pizza, even when trying to lose my most weight i still did not give it up. I ate LESS OF IT. I think people tend to over eat on pizza therefore it creates a bad rep for it, but it's not the pizzas fault!

two slices... walk away.
    it's simple.

Or make your own, mmmm, healthier decisions - yum!

Pizza will never be given up by me though.I love it.
    I admit howver the sodium intake is ridiculous. I have to drink mad amounts of water to flush it through.

Yep .. this
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Because I can consume more calories in one sitting in the form of pizza than I can with probably any other food.

Cheese in particular has a ratio of protein to fat that "hides" the amount of fat that it contains. So you can eat more fat in that form than you otherwise would. And the dough, calorie dense in itself, is really just a vehicle for the cheese.

The toppings and sauce are pretty harmless. It's the way it's composed as a vehicle for calories, and the fact it is unbelievably delicious, which makes it so dangerous.

;)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's like any other calorie dense food, it makes an easy demon for people who don't want to think carefully about their food choices. At it's core pizza is simply dough, tomatoes, cheese and olive oil. I prefer basic pizza such as Neapolitan or NY style margherita, that is easier to fit into my daily calorie and nutrition allowances, than something like Pizza Hut's pan pizzas, but I'm also biased there for taste reasons. If it works in someone's nutrition allowances and their tastes, then people need to leave it alone.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, this is an excellent question.

Pizza from a chain or store is bread loaded with fat (cheese, wayyy more than it needs) and fatty cuts of meat. The fattiest. Pepperoni and sausage? Why don't we just put cookies on the pizza too..

My homemade pizza is made with bread flour, so yes, the crust has carbs, but it has a ton of protein.

Low fat mozarella = mozarella when it comes to taste, just like light sour cream and sour cream have little difference between them, so I choose to use the lighter of the two..

But the kicker comes with how much cheese you load it with. If you like doing a thin crust, crispy style pizza, you really get to taste the crust and the slightly darkened spots, the differences in textures in each bite. You sort of lose that when you load up the top with fat.

And I don't mean fat in a disparaging way, I mean fat in a culinary term. You have to be aware of your ratios when you cook, and what each component and macronutrient brings to the table. Fats bring a heavy mouth feel, a richness to it, and they have a "muting" effect if you will on other flavors.

Acids like tomatoes and lemons and vinegar have a brightness, a sharpness, so when I build my pizza I toss a few cherry tomatoes (I keep these stocked in my kitchen ALL the time) in the food processor and make my own sauce, add a touch of balsamic vinegar for smokiness or a little brown sugar if you have a sweet tooth like me (a little brown sugar won't hurt nothing, like a pinch or two).

But, Seige, where's the meat? I indulge in bacon sometimes, you can get a thin steak, sear it quickly to med-rare and lay steak slices on top for protein without overdoing it on fats, some pepperoni is okay, but when you layer the top like you're building a lasagna.. no no. browned and crumbled and well seasoned ground beef is always a plus, the McCormick hamburger seasoning is great, it's got a perfect balance for seasoning ground beef with a hearty pepper flavor. Canadian bacon is also A+..

Tie in the top with a touch more mozarella just to keep everything in place and give it that melty goodness, and viola, you've built a pizza that ISN'T 200+ calories per slice.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why don't we just put cookies on the pizza too..

They do that, yanno. And it's glorious.

oreopic.jpg
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've sometimes wondered why pizza gets such a bad name too. As you say, it's basically just bread and cheese, with a bit of tomato. It's not a WELL balanced meal, but there obviously more nutrients in it than, say, sugar-only foods. Or, say, bread on its own, without the tomato and cheese.

Hamburgers are another one that are seen as terrible. It's just a meat sandwich. Maybe with a bit of salad, dressing and cheese.

It's not a good idea to live off them entirely, but it's probably not any worse (or more likely, better) than living off fruit and veg entirely. They are fine now and then. I know there's the argument that it's easy to eat too much of them, but I refuse to accept "it tastes so good I want to eat more" as a criticism of a food :laugh: . It's a fair point with pizza though, because it seems to come in such big portions (you used to be able to buy takeaway pizza by the slice - I don't see that so often now). Hamburgers usually have better portion control, so maybe that's why pizza comes out as the big, evil baddie.

Honestly, I think there's a kind of snobbery about takeaway food. I know people will say that you can make a healthier version if you make it home -possibly. It will still be bread, cheese and tomato, but you can juggle the proportions to your liking a bit more. Howver, I do think some people believe that it's inherently more healthy if you made it at home than bought it from a fast food place, even if it was exactly the same.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

I was thinking along similar lines...!

I eat grains but not wheat. I avoid cheese. I would bet the bread base from pizza hut has more than just flour, yeast, water and salt?

pretty sure the tomato sauce is more than just tomatoes seasoned with herbs?

therefore, I'm out.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Why don't we just put cookies on the pizza too..

They do that, yanno. And it's glorious.

oreopic.jpg

That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen :)
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I eat grains but not wheat. I avoid cheese. I would bet the bread base from pizza hut has more than just flour, yeast, water and salt?

therefore, I'm out.

Pizza dough should be made with oil, not water.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Pizza has a bad reputation because we like simple solutions without nuance and context. It's much easier to just say "pizza is bad" than to take into account things like ingredients, quantity, etc. That's hard thinking, and might even require math. "Pizza bad" I can remember.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    i'm just guessing here but don't most pizzas use bleached flour for the dough? that crap is like cancer.

ORLLY? Tell me more....
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

I want to remain in denial :grumble:

I did come across this "CARBS + FAT = BAD" So it must be true :sad:
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I think pizza sometimes gets a bad rap because some people only eat chain restaurant pizza. It is like saying burgers are all bad, when we know a good quality burger topped with lots of veggies can be a good choice. When I think of pizza I think of my local pizzeria, a whole wheat crust, topped with fresh cheese and simple tomato sauce or pesto, spinach, cheese and grilled chicken. If we only ate Pizza Hut, yes that is bad...if we only ate McDonald burgers, that is also bad.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

therefore, I'm out.

Well, whatevs...I've never made pizza dough before so excuse my ignorance.

Wiling to bet it has sugar and all sorts of artificial preservatives and unnecessary stuff in it!
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Most people when thinking about take out pizza are picturing a large cheese and meat ladden grease filled pizza. Of course pizza can be unhealthy but that is only true if you order it that way. Even pizza places have other freakin toppings you can choose from. You can even get different crust and include special instructions. If people think they have to order a pizza loaded with meat and cheese then I would say they don't have very much in the way of common sense. Make better choices for take out pizza or make your own. All pizza is not created equal.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

therefore, I'm out.

Flour, yeast, water, salt

Is the key components of any bread.

Adding fat to the dough will add chewy and mouth feel and a different texture, but without water, you cannot hydrate the wheat proteins to form gluten, the key to risen yeast breads.