Any Craft Beer , Beer Geeks in here ?

Replies

• AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    I like IPA's, Stouts, Porters and wheat beers. My current fav is Atwater Vanilla Java Porter and Cherry Stouts. I like Bells, Atwater, Abita, Founders, Stone, Dogfish Head, etc...

I love beer!
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    In my basement storeroom I have literally 6 cases or so of beer :) I like to keep a variety on hand!

I love all types and especially love that my fave beer store nearby has build your own 6pack as an option so I can mix and match to my little hearts desire! I will always be a huge fan of Abita and Lagunitas, all of the special beers they both put out are amazing! EVO, a smaller MD brewery has fantastic stuff as well. Really there are too many to name ... I love all kinds! I'm not huge into the ridiculously over hoppy over bitter IPA's that just seem to compete for how undrinkable they can be, but a GOOD IPA I am down with! :)
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    My favorite beer of all time is New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red. Hands freakin down. Unfortunately, they are in Wisconsin, I am in New York, and I can only get it when I can find someone to ferry it for me. Luckily I have a nephew in Chicago who can bring me some on the rare occasion he gets back East.

Locally, we have a small brewery about 100 miles from me, Horseheads Brewing. They make the MOST AMAZING Pumpkin Ale I've ever had. There are all kinds of seasonal beers that spring up in the autumn, but their pumpkin ale literally tastes like pumpkin pie flavored beer. It's so delicious.

My FIL has started brewing his own now that he's retired, and it's pretty excellent, as is his hard cider.

Above all, my go-to beer will always be Guinness, Guinness Black Label or Kilkenny Ale. Not craft beers, just my favorites.

Love just about anything from New Glarus - and I'm lucky to live just a hop (or should that be hops? ;-) ) skip and a jump from New Glarus so I can find everything that they make nearby.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    I like supporting the local craft scene, even if some of the larger craft beer makes have a presence here. Two Brothers, Half Acre, and Goose Island, all Chicago area, have fantastic choices.

But still, I'm not too fancypants for an Old Style or Budweiser.
  • EponaBlue
    EponaBlue Posts: 96 Member
    Great, now I'm thinking about beer at 7 am! :drinker:

I love all kinds of full flavored craft beers. My favorites are the IPAs and belgians, porters and stouts when I'm in the mood. I like the taste of the higher abv ales. A few favs are Bell's Hopslam IPA and Tripel Karmeliet belgian. I am constatly trying what new on tap at my favorite brewpub though. FYI, American Craft Beer Week is May 13-19 :happy:
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    I'm a homebrewer as well. I love IPA's, and Pales, as well as a good stout or porter. I like to brew the normal, IIPA with heavy malt character. For 110-120 IBU's, I sure hope it's balanced. :) Of course at 8%, it kind of has to be.

As far as other beers, I (a Grand Rapidian) am NOT a fan of Founders. I feel their beer in the past... 3 years has really gone down-hill. They are becoming too big, and losing a lot of their flavor and characteristics I used to like. Or my pallet is just developing beyond their abilities and beers. I prefer Hideout Brewing Company, Mitten Brewing Company, and occasionally White Flame if I get up to Hudsonville.

Three-Floyds has some amazing beer (Zombie Dust). I also like to brew odd stuff. I have an Apple-Cinnamon Wheat that everyone seems to love, as well as a Habanero Pale Ale that blew people away at a Home Brew competition in Auburn Hills this past weekend. My Saison was brewed for the competition and I'll be serving that in June. Needless to say, I enjoy a lot of different kinds.

Next on the docket: USMC Marine Madness IIPA, Zorro's Black IPA, Adam's Apple (apple cinnamon wheat - My name is Adam, so why not?), and POSSIBLY come up with a new recipe for a beer name I've liked since it was suggested: Balls Deep IPA.
  • Lately I've been on a brown ale kick. I'm loving Dogfish Head's brown ale. DH loves IPAs. Back in February my DH's bday present from me was a membership to the Craft Beer of the Month. Every month we get 12 beers (usually 3 each of 4 different kinds) delivered to our house. We have been very happy with every shipment we've received.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    OMG I LOVE that Sam Smith Organic Chocolate Stout. It's so so freaking tasty. I like Rouges Dead Guy Ale. I am from Grand Rapids, Mi and knowing what a beer-tastic place this is I am really looking forward to trying some local beers. However, Sam Adams makes a seasonal called Old Fezziewig that I just love. It only comes 2 in a 12 pack sampler and I don't care for the other 10 beers in the box.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Ooh, and here in Indy there's also Sun King. Their Osiris Pale Ale is lovely but my favorite is one of their seasonal specialties, a Belgian Wit called Firefly.

Participating in this discussion in the a.m., at work, is frustrating.
  • msimm29
    msimm29 Posts: 5
    A friend of mine got me 8 bottles of Pliny the Elder. A long time dream of mine to try. I have had a couple but I am trying hard not to drink them, they set my progress back a bit every time! lol
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    A friend of mine got me 8 bottles of Pliny the Elder. A long time dream of mine to try. I have had a couple but I am trying hard not to drink them, they set my progress back a bit every time! lol

8 Bottles?!?!?!?!?!?!? You lucky, LUCKY dog! I'm officially jealous. I'm yet to have Pliny.
  • 79Carms
    79Carms Posts: 2
    I love my stout!! :-)
  • msimm29
    msimm29 Posts: 5

8 Bottles?!?!?!?!?!?!? You lucky, LUCKY dog! I'm officially jealous. I'm yet to have Pliny.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/SK360_PGH/SWTank/82069AAB-B9DE-4B75-BC36-2453FDA76295-37554-00000E7A3E3FA858.jpg

Had them smuggled from Cali... lol
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Mmmm craft beer. My entire bottom shelf of my fridge is all beer.... everything from Firestone's 16th Anniversary to Deschutes Abyss to Saint Arnold's Divine Reserves... more of an aging beer hobby than drinking. But I do drink a fair amount.
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    I love craft beer and it's perhaps my biggest hobby. I take a lot of day-trips and extended weekend trips just to try new beers I haven't had before - especially to Beer City, USA Grand Rapids, MI and Madison, WI. I'm a hophead and prefer IPAs and double IPAs but enjoy trying everything. I really like experimental brews (aka Rhubarb Stout, Peanut Butter Porter, Spruce Tipped IPA, etc) and spend way too much money chasing around all the one-offs put out by the Midwestern Breweries.

Just in case anyone is interested - there is a craft beer group on MFP. Feel free to join.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/11910-craft-beer-and-home-brewing
  • TeamEdwardJenn
    TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
    My hubby is the big beer geek of the family. He cellers beer , and goes bananas for a brews lol. We do alot of beerventures which are super fun. He also is has over a grand or so in beer glasses. Its our hobby :)

He wants to get his cisarone licence at somepoint
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    I like stouts, porters and IPAs myself. However I would never criticize other people's tastes. It's SIMPLY a matter of personal preference. Variety in tastes is a good thing. Otherwise, I might not be able to find beer at all.:smile:
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    My hubby is the big beer geek of the family. He cellers beer , and goes bananas for a brews lol. We do alot of beerventures which are super fun. He also is has over a grand or so in beer glasses. Its our hobby :)

He wants to get his cisarone licence at somepoint

Nice collection! I have a pint glass collection that's growing out of control - I buy one from every brewpub/brewery I visit. I just took all of my Michigan glasses from the cupboard and lined the perimeter shelf of my condo with them to make room in my cupboard for all the ones I have. And now I just got 16 new pint glasses (and four growlers) for attending Milwaukee Beer Week events I have no idea what to do with lol.

I cellar beer too, mainly because I buy more than I can drink.
  • tobyhurst
    tobyhurst Posts: 13 Member
    I love IPA, Stouts and Porters. Cigar City in Tampa produces dozens of amazing brews.

Would anyone be interested in doing some trades? I'm looking for Founders/3 Floyds stuff.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Some great IPA's from the states, love Goose Island

UK is awash with awesome ale's, it's one of the few things will still do really well!