thoughts on artificial sweetners?

Options

Replies

• TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Super unhealthy for you. Lots of bad long-term side effects. Stevia is natural and just as effective without the calories.

Stay away from the fake sugars as much as you can. Your body will thank you in the long run.
  • HotAsWarpedTour
    Options
    I think it's a really unhealthy choice for yourself and the environment. Vegans aren't allowed to have any artificial sweeteners because they are tested on animals in labs. I think using unrefined, raw sugar will always be the best option.
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You should try Stevia it is a plant base product so it's all natural. Many people made the switch to it. I've been using it for more than two months and i like it. I don't drink coffee but use it in my natural yogourt.
    \
    I have no study to back this up but it seems to me that sugar is also made from sugar cane, once they process Stevia it is not much different than sugar. Not saying not to use it but saying it is natural after it has been processed seems ludicrous to me.
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's fine in moderation. Unless one has an adverse reaction to them, then a small amount a day isn't going to "poison" you. You have a higher chance dying in a car accident than being poisoned from artificial sweetners.

This.
    I prefer honey, but that is only because artificial sweeteners of any kind give me headaches. Also, there is no such thing as a "natural" artificial sweetener. Artificial makes it not natural.
  • Hlm103010
    Hlm103010 Posts: 39
    Options
    I steer clear of artificial sweeteners, I do have a sensitivity to them though I will get a horrible migraine if I have to much of it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that anything that would give me a headache would be good for anyone! I'd much rather make sure I have the calorie room for real sugar or honey over substituting with any of that crap.
    Hahaha! So men are out of the question then?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Gives me killer headaches. sugar, honey or nothing.
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Poison!

This.
  • Susan_fessler
    Susan_fessler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This question will always have 2 sides people are either fine with artificial sweeteners or they think they are the devil. I use Splenda in many things people will tell you bleached white sugar is bad for you also. I am sure I eat many other things that are just as bad for me. I can make an argument and find a study to say "insert food here" is bad for you. If you want splenda in your coffee put splenda in your coffee.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Super unhealthy for you. Lots of bad long-term side effects. Stevia is natural and just as effective without the calories.

Stay away from the fake sugars as much as you can. Your body will thank you in the long run.
    Where's the evidence? Not an article, blog, opinion or dogma from "natural" sites, but actual peer reviewed scientific evidence backing the claim?
    Lol, and unless you're squeezing stevia from the plant in your drink or food, then the marketed ones are processed (meaning manufactured from the plant) too.

IDEA Fitness member
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think it's a really unhealthy choice for yourself and the environment. Vegans aren't allowed to have any artificial sweeteners because they are tested on animals in labs. I think using unrefined, raw sugar will always be the best option.

Had to chuckle at how this is put..."Vegans aren't allowed." Are there vegan police? Will they arrest you? Spank you? Shame you?

How about 'most vegans don't CHOOSE to have any artificial sweetners because..."?
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have had no adverseeffects since I have been using splenda-- I have 2 teaspoons once a day, every day in my coffee. And I have no extra cravings, or weight gain, or headaches, or cancer... If it works for you, go for it!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lots of people spout of opinion or information from "what they heard". The problem with misinformation is that unknowledgeble people on the subject end up believing it and spreading it too.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners have unfair rep. They are blamed by overweight people for their weight gain or lack of weight loss. The fact is, people need to be accountable for what they put into their mouth in terms of overall nutrition, not whether they've taken a packet of sweetener. If you want to put some in your tea or coffee or oats, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. You won't get sick, you won't get cancer and you certainly won't get fat.

That said, I would not recommend diet sodas in place of plain water. But if you want to drink one, then go for it. Just don't go consuming 20+ cans a day.

:drinker:
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Lots of people spout of opinion or information from "what they heard". The problem with misinformation is that unknowledgeble people on the subject end up believing it and spreading it too.

IDEA Fitness member

:drinker:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    . You won't get sick, you won't get cancer...

Really, you can offer that assurance when the National Cancer Institute only goes so far as to say "There is no clear evidence that the artificial sweeteners available commercially in the United States are associated with cancer risk in humans"? Seems a bit irresponsible and presumptuous to give anyone a guarantee.
    __

As far as weight goes, I think there's enough objective data (from us here on MFP, specifically) that artificial sweeteners probably don't inhibit weight loss.
  • FahadNaseem
    FahadNaseem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For what I have read and research so far, I think they are okay in moderation. I myself use 3 tablets of canderel per day.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You should try Stevia it is a plant base product so it's all natural. Many people made the switch to it. I've been using it for more than two months and i like it. I don't drink coffee but use it in my natural yogourt.

Everything comes from nature. Where else would it have come from? I'm not saying we should eat "everything" just because it came from nature, but seriously, enough with the "all natural" mumbo jumbo. The ebola virus is all natural...doesn't mean we should eat it. All you "all natural" junkies, get over yourself!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    . You won't get sick, you won't get cancer...

Really, you can offer that assurance when the National Cancer Institute only goes so far as to say "There is no clear evidence that the artificial sweeteners available commercially in the United States are associated with cancer risk in humans"? Seems a bit irresponsible and presumptuous to give anyone a guarantee.
    __

As far as weight goes, I think there's enough objective data (from us here on MFP, specifically) that artificial sweeteners probably don't inhibit weight loss.

I said "if you want to put some" I didn't say add a lot. I also added a caveat to say do not drink excessive amounts of diet soda.

Aspartame Not Linked to Cancer
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1797853/

- Saccharin
    ...there is no clear evidence that saccharin causes cancer in humans, saccharin was delisted in 2000 from the U.S. National Toxicology Program’s Report on Carcinogens...
    - Aspartame
    ...Subsequently, NCI examined human data from the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study of over half a million retirees. Increasing consumption of aspartame-containing beverages was not associated with the development of lymphoma, leukemia, or brain cancer (2).
    - Acesulfame potassium, Sucralose, and Neotame
    ...Before approving these sweeteners, the FDA reviewed more than 100 safety studies that were conducted on each sweetener, including studies to assess cancer risk. The results of these studies showed no evidence that these sweeteners cause cancer or pose any other threat to human health.
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

Does aspartame cause cancer?
    ...But studies in people can sometimes be hard to interpret, because there may be other factors affecting the results that are hard to account for.
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I wish they made Walden Farms with stevia - I love their syrups and dips and peanut spreads, but it's so bad for me because of the sucralose!