Best Microwave Meals

Options
2»

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    considering what most people were eating to get on this site, I don't see why everyone has such a problem. not everyone can go clean over night and stick to it.
    judge much? No one is saying to go clean overnight, no one is even harping on the OP to go clean at all.

OP, If you prep a weeks worth of food, you can have whatever you want during the week. This week, for me, it's smoked chicken chopped up in a salad. (1 cup spinach / a half cup cucumber).

The sodium levels in the frozen meals do leave a lot to be desired.
  • RYFBAR
    RYFBAR Posts: 45
    Options
    I like the healthy choice meals. I go through em all and usually buy all the ones with less than 500 sodium. it has made me try some things I prolly wouldnt have otherwise and it turned out good. Alot of the ones I have in the fridge atm are less than 300 calories.
    I would say the sweet pineapple chicken is my favorite!
  • IRollC30
    IRollC30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, so not sure if you would have them, but although I try to avoid them like the plague now, if I do buy one I tend to go for the Marks and Spencer fuller for longer range. Although they are a little on the pricey side, they are made with proper ingredients rather than mostly flavourings and crap, they are high in protein and they are by far the best I've ever tasted.

I love the British spellings of words. :) "Flavourings" instead of "Flavorings"

Although, my #1 favorite "British" word is "whilst." If it didn't look/sound odd for an American to use that word I'd be using it at every opportunity.
  • charlotteannis9
    Options
    Sam's Club offers 6 Lean Cuisine meals (3 varieties of 2 each - sesame chicken, chicken teriyaki and a chicken and veggies I think) for less than 10 dollars. I leave one in the freezer for lunch and have eaten them every day. Calorie range is 290-330. It works for me.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I second Amy's Organic although they are pricey. Kashi are decent but I prefer Amy's. I try to restrict myself to one, maybe two, a week for those evenings when after a workout I just can't cook and have no leftovers.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    considering what most people were eating to get on this site, I don't see why everyone has such a problem. not everyone can go clean over night and stick to it.
    judge much? No one is saying to go clean overnight, no one is even harping on the OP to go clean at all.

OP, If you prep a weeks worth of food, you can have whatever you want during the week. This week, for me, it's smoked chicken chopped up in a salad. (1 cup spinach / a half cup cucumber).

that had NOTHING to do with judging! are you trying to start drama? I was simply stating a fact: a lot of people on this site will tell you NOT to eat anything processed, to eat clean. if you are just starting out, the sodium levels in these meals, while still a little high, ARE SO MUCH BETTER THEN THE FOOD WE WERE EATING BEFORE. so a lean cuisine meal has, say, 575 sodium. that's about half of what a normal meal would be without this site or dieting.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

that had NOTHING to do with judging! are you trying to start drama? I was simply stating a fact: a lot of people on this site will tell you NOT to eat anything processed, to eat clean. if you are just starting out, the sodium levels in these meals, while still a little high, ARE SO MUCH BETTER THEN THE FOOD WE WERE EATING BEFORE. so a lean cuisine meal has, say, 575 sodium. that's about half of what a normal meal would be without this site or dieting.

no, but unless you're checking every diary of every user, or sending PM's to everyone asking what they ate... how can you possibly make a statement of what people were eating before?

Not everyone pushes people to eat clean either, I don't. Not trying to start any drama, but I wouldn't claim to know what everyone was eating before.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    and all you have to do is check in here, read about people, about their changes. you learn a lot about people from how the say stuff.

and it's true, most people here were eating junk food and sweets and double portions. not a lot of people here got fat off eating healthy foods.

and I never said everyone pushes people to eat clean, but you can't deny that when you go into a topic that includes store bought meals, a lot of people chime in that eating clean is best. it may be true, but my statement only said that some people cant go clean over night- making the point that to start out, I don't see why people have issues with microwavable meals if its still healthier then you were eating before.
  • kdt000
    kdt000 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like the lean cuisine salad additions. I love salad, but I'm too lazy to cut every thing up and measure it all out to take it to work the next day - so the salad additions are perfect for me. I also don't mind the lean cuisine pizzas. I try only to eat one frozen meal a day and then try to drink a lot of water because of all the sodium. That may be pointless, but it hasn't bothered me! :-)
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer Marie Callendar over Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine. They have similar menu items but taste so much better. I love the beef pot roast and herb roasted chicken. Just look at the label because some of their meals are high calorie.
  • monababy01
    monababy01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to figure out which frozen meals are best too. I usually get Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice Steamers because they have the most flavor and are low in cal / fat. But since everyone seems concerned about sodium, found this great list that shows you which are best and worst for sodium too: http://www.hellawella.com/100-popular-frozen-meals-ranked-by-sodium-content
  • Determinedtorunon
    Determinedtorunon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Can I just say that new Atkins meal are ummm, umm good and they are filling. Wath out for that darn sodium, its the devil, lol
  • Determinedtorunon
    Determinedtorunon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So totally agree with you. I had this conversation at work yesterday about veggie chips.....Hey I was eating a large bag of doritos with my sandwhich, so my changes are all right with me. Again this is a life style and i am learning to make better choices. I love to crunch so veggie chips it is, with a wedge of laughing cow cheese....uuuummmm heaven.
    and all you have to do is check in here, read about people, about their changes. you learn a lot about people from how the say stuff.

and it's true, most people here were eating junk food and sweets and double portions. not a lot of people here got fat off eating healthy foods.

and I never said everyone pushes people to eat clean, but you can't deny that when you go into a topic that includes store bought meals, a lot of people chime in that eating clean is best. it may be true, but my statement only said that some people cant go clean over night- making the point that to start out, I don't see why people have issues with microwavable meals if its still healthier then you were eating before.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i tend to pick up healthy choice brand meals if i am buying a frozen meal. i always add a couple of cups of frozen veggies (usually spinach or broccoli) to it to both fill me up and pack in the nutrients.
  • calculustiger
    Options
    Some of the better options include:

Smart Ones Chicken Santa Fe (140 calories; 20g protein)

Smart Ones Chicken Marsala (160 calories; 16g protein)
    Lean Cuisine Roasted Garlic Chicken (170 calories; 17g protein)

Lean Cuisine Glazed Chicken (240 calories; 22g protein)

Healthy Choice Chicken Red Pepper Alfredo (250 calories; 20g protein)
    Healthy Choice Roasted Chicken Marsala (250 calories; 20g protein)
    Stauffer's Classic Baked Chicken Breast (250 calories; 20g protein)
    Healthy Choice Ricotta & Spinach Ravioli & Chicken Marinara (260 calories; 21g protein)
    Healthy Choice Grilled Chicken Marinara (260 calories; 21g protein)