Potatoes/pasta/bread

Options
Racquel1
Racquel1 Posts: 93 Member
Hi guys

I am looking to try cut down on potatoes bread pasta foods so was just wondering what would be a good replacement?

Thanks x

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    For Potatoes you can use a sweet potato instead. It is higher in fiber than a regular potato. Other than that when you do eat breads and pasta make sure to use whole grain.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Try replacing your pasta with spaghetti squash. If you like spaghetti sauce you really don't notice the difference between the noodles and the squash.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    potatoes = sweet potatoes
    pasta = wholemeal pasta in lesser quantities
    bread = aint no replacement, just cut it out.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I am looking to try cut down on potatoes bread pasta foods so was just wondering what would be a good replacement?

Thanks x

Try short or medium grain brown rice and up the amount of veggies.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    More vegetables and protein. Seriously--eliminate half the serving and replace it with more of the other stuff.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Why, what's wrong with them?
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love all of these things so I eat them in moderation. In my experience when you start to cut things out of your diet you start to feel like you are missing out. Moderation is the key:smile:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

French Fries
    Alfredo Sauce
    Margarine, HFCS added Peanut Butter, High Sodium Cold Cuts
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Try replacing your pasta with spaghetti squash. If you like spaghetti sauce you really don't notice the difference between the noodles and the squash.

I've tried this. I wasn't a fan. Pasta isn't just a delivery mechanism for my sauce, I actually like the taste of a well made pasta (the actual pasta)

Lots of people seem to agree with you and if you only need something to put sauce over, this is a good choice.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to replace them with other carbs? Everything has carbs, just different amounts. I get the majority of my carbs from vegetables and fruit. Bananas and broccoli to be exact. Because they're cheap. Bananas after workout, and broccoli all day.,

And no, not all cereal is bad.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You've got a good question. All I can really think of is to eliminate bread, cut back pastas and switch to whole wheat and potatoes, well we have pretty much eliminated potatoes except the odd meal here and there and replaced them with other veggies, like we'll have a salad and roasted zucchini, grilled asparagus or steamed cauliflower or broccoli or a medley or have two different kinds of hot veggies. We really don't find it hard, we just make sure we have a lot of variety for veggies. I'm also keen on finding out other substitutes.
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    Hi guys

Thanks x

I have become a huge fan of all veggies. A large helping of veggies to compensate for all those things taste very good and you can use all the same sauces that you use for those things.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

you going to start preaching about "everything in moderation" because it works for you? Let me stop you here, it doesn't work for everyone. My body hates carbs, passionately. I get most of my carbs from veggies and the odd tortilla. OP up your protein, anything you can think of from nuts to cold turkey slices, and don't forget to subtract your fiber from your carbs.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have been cooking a lot more with quinoa instead of pasta.....I read online that it is a complete protein. It also has a low glycemic index and I think it tastes great. Very versatile as well.

You can make all kinds of veggie chips or fries instead of potato chips or fries..... here are a couple of buzzfeed links that link to great recipes or ideas
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/healthy-ingredient-swaps-substitutions
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/25-baked-alternatives-to-potato-chips-and-french-f

I have made the baked carrot fries and loved them (I seasoned mine with creole seasoning so they were quite spicy)

And for bread, I buy Healthy Life 35 Calorie Wheat Bread. Little more expensive but only 35 calories per slice.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a macro & therefore should be eaten, as folk say, in moderation

sweet potatoes baked in their jackets & eaten skin & all are delicious, smear a little oil & salt on the skin prior to baking

puy lentils are great, quinoa is good,
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options

you going to start preaching about "everything in moderation" because it works for you? Let me stop you here, it doesn't work for everyone. My body hates carbs, passionately. I get most of my carbs from veggies and the odd tortilla. OP up your protein, anything you can think of from nuts to cold turkey slices, and don't forget to subtract your fiber from your carbs.

Just saying what's wrong with these particular carb sources? Why not cut fruit?

It seems most people have just offered lower calorie alternatives. Is the food the problem or is it the quantity?
  • tcantonwine
    tcantonwine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can also try oatmeal.
  • tonymyers55
    tonymyers55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had to cut back on bread due to gluten allergy. I've tried almond flour. The texture is different, but the flavor is not bad.

I like the spaghetti squash as well, but I prefered the taste of real pasta.

I like the quinoa as well. Sometimes I cook it with chicken boullion, dried onion, powdered garlic and scramble eggs with a touch of cayenne pepper. Other days I use a sugar substitue, cinamon and mix in some blue berries and/or bananas.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Try Rudi's Organic Sunshine seeded bread. There is also Ezekiel sprouted grain bread. They're both found in the frozen section. Seems strange, but they are so yummy.

ETA: I know you asked for replacements, but these are just "healthier" breads. Assuming you're a white-bread eater, of course.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My suggestions

Potato go with sweet potato or maybe try parsnips. I know you can make chips out of parsnips a little better then regular spuds

Pasta you can try the spaghetti squash but switching to a high fiber pasta will help you feel full plus everyone needs fiber I have never tried it but I have heard that you can use squash cut in to strips for lasagna replacement, me I will stick to real noodles.

Bread - well somethings you just can substitute for bread but if you are looking for sandwich fixins go with a tortilla or even just lettuce or some other leaves, if you do still need bread and who doesn't make sure it is real bread look at the label if there are ingredients you cant pronounce put it back many bread companies add stuff to bread to make it last longer or make your own bread it might take a few times to get it right but the smell of baking bread is divine. If you have bread that goes stale don't worry that is a reason to make croutons (homemade croutons so easy and so delicious) or make some french toast the stale bread will hold the egg mixture and make a wonderful piece of french toast.