Why am I not losing on 1200cal per day?

Options

Replies

• zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If your cal intake was working why did you change it? Go back slowly to 1600. 1200 is too low for most people.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    Dieting and losing weight is all about experimenting and figuring out what works best for you. It takes time and patience.

There is a lot of good general information out there but it is not a one size fits all sort of thing. It is best to read up, follow general guidelines and tweak it to fit your needs.

The best advice I can give is find a routine that works for you and is completely sustainable.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise and if so are you eating back your exercise calories. If not you are probably very calorie deficient.
  • ShelbyNicole08
    Options
    So I went down to 1200 calories and wasnt losing much. I literally just bumped up to 1350 and making sure my net stayed at the very least 1200 and dropped .8 lb right away. Try eating more your body could be going into starvation mode and in a few weeks I will bump up to 1400 I want to make it so i can get a calroie level that can be maintained.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    Why did you switch back? I agree that you may want to gradually increase your budget.
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am curious why you don't eat breakfast to jump start your metabolism? Are you on a alternate schedule for work? It seems like your body would go into starvation mode you go so long without eating! I am thinking you need to make different choices with less salt, eating whole foods less processed (veggies, lean meats and fruit). I am thinking you can learn to enjoy some fruits! Measuring and weighing is key too. It is easy to think oh I know what 3 oz of chicken is. Also, go back to you diary when you were losing and eat that exact food. Good luck! I know at 48 yrs old it is harder for me, BUT when I am true and on track it does come off slowly!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Because you're not eating enough. Your body needs fuel. Try 1500 to 1700 cals per day. I'm doing 1700, down at each weigh in, energy level way up, lost about 12" off my waist, in less than three months.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am curious why you don't eat breakfast to jump start your metabolism? Are you on a alternate schedule for work? It seems like your body would go into starvation mode you go so long without eating! I am thinking you need to make different choices with less salt, eating whole foods less processed (veggies, lean meats and fruit). I am thinking you can learn to enjoy some fruits! Measuring and weighing is key too. It is easy to think oh I know what 3 oz of chicken is. Also, go back to you diary when you were losing and eat that exact food. Good luck! I know at 48 yrs old it is harder for me, BUT when I am true and on track it does come off slowly!

You don't need to jump start your metabolism with breakfast.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

You don't need to jump start your metabolism with breakfast.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Agreed. Plus it takes 36-72 hours of no food for the metabolism to even start slowing down, let alone go into starvation mode, that takes weeks even months of undereating.
  • codagene
    codagene Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You must consume an accurate amount of lean protein and cut the carbs way back. You will start to loose the fat and keep/gain muscle. It is also very important to consume the correct amount of H20. Stop drinking the coffee and start drinking Green Tea with lemon grass. No sugar is needed, the lemon grass provides just enough sweetness and will rev up the fat burning.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u dont mention how much u w eigh 1200 calories is way to few for anyone unless u are 120 pounds or less
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If your body doesn't get certain essential macro's it will store as much as it can instead of burning the fat. If you stay in an extreme caloric deficit for your activity level the weight you lose is not fat, but muscle because the body cannibalizes muscle over fat. People think the more calories the cut the more lbs they'll lose... it doesn't work that way. The body tries to reach homeostasis especially if you put a large strain on it like randomly cutting your calories by a significant amount.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    idk.. our bodies are weird.. you could try 'calorie cycling".. go 1200 a day like you are then every 3rd day or so jump up to 1800 (or even a non tracking day) then back down again.. I did that yrs ago.. but was at 1400 cals a day (didnt eat exercise cals back though) and every 3rd day or 4th I jumped up to 1700.. and lost weight.. and was a freeing feeling to have 'that free type day'.. your body is too used to way low cals and is holding onto fat.. storing it possibly :indifferent:
  • dennymau
    dennymau Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You should eat breakfast to kick start your metabolism. Eggs and some meat will stop you from getting hungry so soon.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    In before this explodes.

If you were losing when you were eating more why did you drop your calories? Try going back to eating 1500-1900 and see what happens.
    This. 110%!!!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Lokked back at your diary through April, you are not eating 1200 calories a day. Several days at 2000+, some incomplete days here and there (i'm assumming but could be VLCD). You also are not logging milk with your coffee (i think, unless you correct me). Also do you weigh your food. Everything looks very rounded. Are you just estimating?

I think the first step is to develop a little consistency. Eat your calorie goal everyday for a few weeks. Weigh all of your food so you get a good idea for what is going on.

Just my 2...Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my diary. Fresh eyes always help. THere have been a couple of times when only 1 meal is logged where I simply forgot to log the rest .

the 2K+ days usually bread chocolate or alcohol days, but those aside my perception is that I am being consistent which is clearly not the case.

Thank you

No prob...If you look at my diary I am the same currently. Very sporadic and inconsistent..>And I haven't lost weight in like 4 weeks when before I was 2-3 lbs a week like clockwork.

Consistentcy, accuracy, and adjusting IF needed is the name of the game in calorie counting.
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    this sounds like metabolic damage to me....in fact, a clear case of metabolic damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

it`ll make a whole lot more sense after you see this. trust me, i think thats the problem..and im speaking from first hand experience.

OMG this is so me. I did all the alphabet calcs but because I was not consistently eating them all decided (with a tiny hint of disquiet) to just drop to the very generic MFP calc which is 900cals less. Less cals = greater weight loss right!

So very wrong! I have dieted more times than not in my life from the age of 15 (like so many women) each diet I lose a little, plateau fairly rapidly, then put back all the weight plus more till the next time the cycle starts. This makes so much sense.

Thank You:flowerforyou:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    /facepalm @ people who believe in meal timing windows and metabolism
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    /facepalm @ people who believe in meal timing windows and metabolism

Whatever! I hook up my red & black cables EVERY morning to get that damn thing started!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Consistent logging of your exercise and consumed calories will paint a more accurate picture.