Any 10,000 Steps (Daily) Success stories?

Options

Replies

• Hopingforchange
    Options
    This is from last week:

63,794 steps which is just over 9000 steps daily, 98 floors climbed, 26.44 miles traveled. Love the Fitbit.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Now you have to go buy your son one.

Yep! But now I have to get TWO more, because I left that other blasted thing in my pocket, washed my jeans and it's ruined now:sick: ...So, I'll get another back-up one for myself and my darling boy!
  • ddzubow
    ddzubow Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I first began MFP, my daily steps were around 5K (I work a 9-5 desk job). I was completely disheartened when I realized that I was only halfway towards the "healthy norm" of 10k steps a day. However, after making several small changes in my daily routine, I've upped my average daily steps to 11-12k without too much effort. Here are a few tips that worked for me:

1) I take the train to work. There's a stop 2 blocks from my office, but I now get off at the stop before about 3/4 mile from my office and walk. If you drive into work, just park as far from your office entrance as possible.

2) Talk a short walk after lunch. I take a half hour walk, but even 10-15 minutes would give an extra 1-2k steps.

3) In line with #1, always park far away from restaurants, stores, etc when you're out. It may only a few hundred steps, but it's something.

You could also take a short walk after dinner, walk your dog if you have one for 10-15 minutes in the evening. It all adds up and makes 10,000 steps achievable for those of us who work desk jobs.

Hope this helps for those of you that find it difficult to reach 10k!
  • lehuagirl
    lehuagirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am going to get a FitBit. My success story was that I worked a retail job where we were haulin all the time. I noticed I was losing weight and believe me, I would know if I was actually trying :) So I got a pedometer (very cheap) but my steps in a 7 hour shift measured 14,000! I was so pleasantly shocked. Then I tried the ped on a normal mom day... groceries, carpool etc. Thought I'd get to about 7k and need to make up the rest in exercise. I was only at like 4500! Wow what an eye opener. I also learned that those 10-12K steps I was doing at work made me "glisten" occasionally, but I was not sweating bullets all day and sore the next like some huge power workout I think I have to do. Slow and steady and consistent wins the race...
  • lehuagirl
    lehuagirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Also, a co-worker and I looked it up and I think 10K steps is about a 5 mile walk. Is that consensus?
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    On days I am not way way too busy at work I'll get up and walk one lap around our three floors at my office every 30-45 minutes. That plus my workouts and a walk after dinner puts me up to 10000 at least 4 times a week. (If you go shopping at Cosco or SAMs you will be surprised how easy it is haha!
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is long. Hope it helps someone else in similar shoes.

So I read about the 10K steps a day idea and thought well at least I can walk (sort of).

I got my fitbit from Amazon and man was I crushed when I put it on and after 1 week I was barely getting 2500 steps a day! 3500 was a good day. This was seriously bad news….10k seems like a triathlon from that starting point.:sad:

This is what I did to get to 10k steps a day.

- Starting Point: No activity, closer to 300lbs than not, and very, very little muscle strength in ankles, hips and knees.

- Figured out I needed to break it up into proverbial baby steps (screw the heart rate thing, I just needed to get my legs to swish back and forth 10,000 steps a day and there was no way I could mentally or physically sustain a huge chunk of walking. I would rather stab myself in the eye.

1. The Math: 10,000 steps – 2500 steps = 7500 steps to get done.

2. I noticed that on average it was minute for a 100 steps (like I needed to walk 75 minutes) - (math is 'ishy')

3. If I walked 10 minutes in the morning = 65 minutes left
    4. If I walked 1x 15 minute break = 50 minutes left
    5. If ate my lunch at my desk before my 'official lunch' break I could drive home and walk the treadmill 20 minutes, touch up my hair/makeup brush my teeth and be back at work on time. (-20 more minutes down) = 30 minutes left
    6. If I walked the second break (-15 minutes) = 15 minutes left
    7. In the beginning (first 2 weeks) If I was dying from the pain both mentally and physically I would use my recumbent bike 15 minutes (at level 2) and consider it done
    8. Or I would dig super deep and walk the last 15 minutes

So here is the good part if I got more daily steps in I could eliminate that ‘end of the day’ 15 minutes or rest on one of my breaks.

Some tricks I do. Note: Don’t judge... if..well..some seem, “bad employee-esque” --I have given my everything to my company, gotten treated like *kitten* and my health has paid the ultimate price.

Tips to get more steps:

1. Park farther away – this is like against everything I have ever known and felt soooo ridiculous and I know everyone saw this at work and thought: OMG she’s not parked ‘in the doorway!’ I am known for front row parking...
    2. Since you can generally go to the bathroom whenever the need calls: drink a crap ton of water and then you will have to go wee-wee. So now walk to the opposite side of the office to use the bathroom ;) drill into your head "Breaks for walking not wee time" wee on company time.
    3. Print to the printer that is farthest away from your desk. And print lots more! Find stuff to print (sorry I know this is bad bad. :embarassed: But I am desperate. Don’t judge).
    4. Walk over to visit folks and converse about work in person vs. instant messaging, calling or emailing.

I am on 32 days straight & down ~ 15lbs.:happy:
  • almasters90
    almasters90 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I walk anywhere between 9,000 to 11,000 steps a day on top of whatever my norm is. I've been doing this for about 6 days/week for almost 3 months now. With my calories cut, I have lost 28 pounds so far.

Really works! Good luck and don't give up no matter what challenges you.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those gadjics and hit 10,000 steps and got blisters on my heels....lol....
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have been researching the fitbit for the past week. This thread has helped me to decide to just break down and buy the darn thing. I am very active at both jobs, but because I run around so much, I am never motivated to exercise. I hope the fitbit will motivate me to move more outside of work. Also love the earndit.com thing.. Free stuff for walking,can't beat that!
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I average about 38,000 a day. I think I have got to the point where going to the gym effect my calories more than the walking.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My hubby and children surprised me with this cool watch thingy called a nano. I'm totally anti-technical (i.e. technical stuff--meh) This nano thingy does a lot of stuff but I only use it for it's big watch and this cool feature called NikeRun. It tells you your time, distance, pace, and calories burned and other stuff. It's also designed for running and other stuff but I REALLY like it's walking/steps features, as it's more convenient than the pedometer I was using. I'm not sure how totally accurate it is, but gives me a good "ball-park" of my steps throughout the day, plus it looks like a big cool watch.

Walk it off gang--WOOT! :drinker:
  • JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Got my FitBit in May, I aim for a daily walk (5K, that's about 6,000 steps) every morning - a brisk walk, mind you. I am not a runner (I may become one, you never know) - the rest seems to come from daily life. I park in the furthest spot in the parking lot at work, grocery store and the mall. At work, if I need to ask someone a question, I would walk to their desk, not call them. On a really hot week I average 12-13K a day. On cooler weeks it's usually around 16-17K, I tend to do rounds around the playground while my kids play with their friends or ride their bikes.

Keep on stepping ... every single one gets you closer to your goal.
  • JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I average about 38,000 a day. I think I have got to the point where going to the gym effect my calories more than the walking.

WOW!!!!!! That's a lot of steps! And I agree .. walking only gets you so far ... strength training is important too.
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have 2,903,014 total lifetime steps since getting my fitbit 1 year ago. I aim for 10,000 daily. I have days where I can hit upwards of 20,000 and lazy days where I might get less than 5,000. But it makes me aware and pushes myself to meet my goals. Anyone on the fence about getting one, definitely should!
  • williamsge
    williamsge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for walking success stories! They motivate me so much! Thanks all for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I got the Fitbit Flex four days ago and was pleasantly surprised to hit 10,000 the first day before I knew how to log in and check the progress. I saw the email they send and was very happy!!! I have a sedentary job and looking at my stats, I have to consciously walk one hour to one hour fifteen to reach 10,000 steps.

I like the bracelet because I know I would wash the other kind as folks have said. It reminds me to walk while talking on the phone, standing at bus stop with kids, etc.

I have loved reading all the sucess stories! Thanks to all who have shared!

For those considering purchasing a pedometer, there is a huge difference in quality. I had one in the past that would count the smallest jiggle as a step. Do a little reseach and find the best one for you!
  • emobarbie7
    Options
    My daily average is 20,000 highest was 35,000...I walk everywhere an run a lot too.
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    My average for this week is 12,290. I do cardio on the treadmill 5 times a week and walk a lot at work.
    Keep up the good work everyone!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I totally didn't know you could check on your lifetime steps with Fitbit. I just went and checked - 3 288 700 steps since I started using it at the end of January!! On days I don't run or pay attention to my step count, I barely hit 4000, my highest day was 55 002.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!