Proper Gym Etiquette

Options

Replies

• DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The one pet peeve I have may seem silly, but I hate when there's an entire row of treadmills open and someone chooses the treadmill immediately next to mine. This is especially bad when that person is overly perfumed/breathes like they're giving birth,
  • JuliePackham
    Options
    The one pet peeve I have may seem silly, but I hate when there's an entire row of treadmills open and someone chooses the treadmill immediately next to mine. This is especially bad when that person is overly perfumed/breathes like they're giving birth,

I admit... I don't like this either. I find that some people have their favourite machines though. Some will even wait for it when there are other machines available. Once I was even asked to get off when there was a machine right next to me. lol. Superstition I think, like men that don't shave during the hockey playoffs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I admit... I don't like this either. I find that some people have their favourite machines though. Some will even wait for it when there are other machines available. Once I was even asked to get off when there was a machine right next to me. lol. Superstition I think, like men that don't shave during the hockey playoffs.

I've only seen women do the trademill next to you thing unless a dude is supah creepin'.

My reasoning: Us dudes are already trained in urinal etiquette. In some of the coarser parts of the country, choosing the discourteous urinal could be cause for fisticuffs.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Early last Saturday morning this guy was curling the bar in the only olympic lifting platform then meandering across the gym to the cable machines to do triceps, then he would slowly meander back to the platform all the way across the gym to do his curls and so on. Of course he draped his towel across the barbell to claim it while he was working his triceps. Really, you can't find somewhere else to do your curls?

Smile at him and ask "can I work in?"
  • dbmata
    Options
    [snip]
    So before you go claiming that weight loss is difficult without exercise, you may want to figure out how MFP actually works.

Dear,

I realize that you are new to this, and I am sorry if I offended your pride by calling you out, but before you attempt to speak authoritatively on a topic you need to come to an authoritative conclusion based on evidence. Trumpeting incomplete or inaccurate information as fact will get you called on the carpet in the company of knowledgeable people.

I really couldn't care less how MFP works if it is going to get in the way of my weight loss. A calorie deficit without hormone balancing usually winds up causing more weight gain than loss.
    Hey kettle, what did you just call the pot?
    So lest I chalk your off topic post up to bro-science. What is your peer reviewed and published research that supports that spending too long at a calorif deficit will "reset" your system and reduce your maintenance needs?
  • Horsezee
    Horsezee Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't get the issue with nakedness in the locker room.

Unless you're rubbing one out like this one creepy guy in my gym does all the time (although he may have an implant, and just be drying it off, who knows) isn't that what locker rooms are for? Have you never seen a naked person of your own gender before? Please, I have other things to worry about not to remember to cover myself with a towel at all times.

^I agree with this. I don't understand why so many people are offended by their own gender's body.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I don't get the issue with nakedness in the locker room.

Unless you're rubbing one out like this one creepy guy in my gym does all the time (although he may have an implant, and just be drying it off, who knows) isn't that what locker rooms are for? Have you never seen a naked person of your own gender before? Please, I have other things to worry about not to remember to cover myself with a towel at all times.

^I agree with this. I don't understand why so many people are offended by their own gender's body.

i dont think it is so much problems with the naked body its the things people do with those naked bodies.

pluch hairs from the forbidden speed bag
    trim up the silk igloo
    bend over to dry your toes like youre doing stiff legged deadlifts
    propping a foot up on a bench and talking while you powder yourself
    apply the preparation H
    do the helicopter
  • dbmata
    Options
    Another gym "pet peeve" of mine is related to peacocks.

Don't come in to the gym with your best-bro/life partner/ shower buddy, set up a machine to do some heavy lifting, then strut around talking about getting big guns. (Yeah bro, you ARE big, but I would be too if I used the 'roids.)

Then you proceed to spend the next 40 minutes to do three sets of barbell rows with a single 35# plate on each side and using only 1/2 the ROM you should, grunting like a moose giving birth the entire time.

I'm fat, I'm not as built as you, but I'm still rowing double you and not grunting like a mammoth at the proctologist.
  • Nickstery
    Nickstery Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    1. Wipe off the machine
    2. Rest somewhere else other then the machine.
    - I will sometimes use three to four machines at once and wipe them down as I use them so that others can use them.
    However when someone just sits there resting for 3mins and playing on their phones it drives me bananas!!
    3. Make sure your clothes are clean and not what you used the previous day... i do not need to smell you while walking by just because you were to lazy to change our your clothes from the previous day. No one wants to smell a wall o piss or shxt when trying to exercise.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Put your weights away! I know you are proud that you can squat with five gazillion pound weights on each end, but it's a lot less impressive when they are 2 feet above my head and I have to take them all off before I can lower the bar for fear of being crushed.

...not that I'm holding any resentment for repeat offenders in my gym... :tongue:

HaHa!! I'm under orders NOT to remove the weight from the Bar after I've squatted, I think that's more to set a challenge to people to catch up more than anything really!

I go to the gym at 5am, I am easily aggravated :grumble:
  • Lass70
    Lass70 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is probably on here somewhere- Makeup! Loads of make-up and fashion/non-utilitarian clothing are completely unnecessary.
    Drives me nuts!- No one takes you seriously. You are encouraging the *kitten* that the rest of us have to deal with after your farce of a workout is over and you disappear.

Also, if my gym could maybe not put the glute press machine in front of the mirror, with your back to the mirror, that would be great. Every time I extend and my glutes flex, there is somebody looking in the mirror. It's weird.
    K. Thanks.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Don't come in to the gym with your best-bro/life partner/ shower buddy, set up a machine to do some heavy lifting, then strut around talking about getting big guns. (Yeah bro, you ARE big, but I would be too if I used the 'roids.)

Then you proceed to spend the next 40 minutes to do three sets of barbell rows with a single 35# plate on each side and using only 1/2 the ROM you should, grunting like a moose giving birth the entire time.

I'm fat, I'm not as built as you, but I'm still rowing double you and not grunting like a mammoth at the proctologist.

THIS!

It used to be my favorite part of the day watching dudes try to squat 300+ (but only dropped about 4 inches and thought it was a squat), or bench the same weight and not even go 1/3 of the way to their chest!
    All while tying up an area for 30+ minutes, and making sounds that I imagine someone would make if being violated by a phone pole.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    1. Wipe off your fothermucking machines whenever you are finished!!

2. Use your inside voice. I could care less about the grunting and all of the other little noises you make, but PLEASE.. if your conversation entails your sexcapades (in extreme detail), or how much weed you've been/are going to smoke... take it down a notch.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Don't hog multiple racks/machines to do your Crossfit routine while the gym is packed.

This gets me the most I think!!!!! Ugh - there are a few people that do this at my gym and they just expect everyone else at the gym to not use what they are cycling through (like 5-6 different things) so they can just go from one to the next without waiting. EFF that!!!

Edited to chime in on the hair and make-up on some females. Why come to the gym with prom hair and makeup complete with fake lashes if you are serious about working out, and then get on a stationary bike and slow pedal. Then walk around playing with your hair not trying to find any eqipment - just looking for people to check you out. -_- You are NOT there to get fit. Go home.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Both of these descriptions just made me laugh - it's funny cuz it's true :laugh:

THIS!

It used to be my favorite part of the day watching dudes try to squat 300+ (but only dropped about 4 inches and thought it was a squat), or bench the same weight and not even go 1/3 of the way to their chest!
    All while tying up an area for 30+ minutes, and making sounds that I imagine someone would make if being violated by a phone pole.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you can carry on a conversation during a set you're not lifting enough weight and you're wasting everyone's time, including your own.

If you can do multiple sets of 25 reps you're not lifting enough weight and you're wasting everyone's time, including your own.

Resting after your last set should be done away from the platform, machine, bench, etc.

If you haven't broken a decent sweat in years let alone this particular workout, please don't worry about wiping the machine/bench down as if you're prepping it for surgery. I appreciate the thought, but if everything is dry as a bone, it's good with me, and I'm kind of in a hurry.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Two special pieces of manners for the local YMCA.
    1. There's a sign on the Smith machine that asks you...yes, you. Not that guy behind you, or the lady down there, you not to deadlift on that particular machine, and even has a nice (double-padded) area off to the left for that purpose. The sign's intended for you to NOT use that machine for that exercise. Why are you loading plates on it and deadlifting? Are you literate, and inconsiderate, or illiterate, and care more about your back muscles than your T-rex sized brain?
    2. If you're going to wear Tapout/Aflliction bullfeces to the gym then you should be at least capable of beating me to a pulp. Otherwise you just look like a tool.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% to most of these. Especially not re-racking the weights when you are done and loitering on machines. I only have an hour lunch break to workout and don't have all day to wait for a machine. I take a late lunch specifically because the gym is dead between 1-2. In order to maximize my time I do supersets, every now and again someone will get on the machine I need next and that is fine - I wasn't using it so I get it. However when you are simply sitting down on the bench to rest or text your friends I get flippin annoyed.

Also although it doesn't personally affect my workout I want to say if you are doing anything at the gym while talking on your cell you are not working hard enough. :P
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    If you can carry on a conversation during a set you're not lifting enough weight and you're wasting everyone's time, including your own.
    agreed
    If you can do multiple sets of 25 reps you're not lifting enough weight and you're wasting everyone's time, including your own.

totally disagree. some people go for very high reps as part of their workout
    Resting after your last set should be done away from the platform, machine, bench, etc.
    If you haven't broken a decent sweat in years let alone this particular workout, please don't worry about wiping the machine/bench down as if you're prepping it for surgery. I appreciate the thought, but if everything is dry as a bone, it's good with me, and I'm kind of in a hurry.

disagree. no matter what it is good manners to wipe down machines, whether you broke a sweat or not. just cause you dont sweat doesnt mean you dont leave behind stuff
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Enjoying this thread. Just gonna add my thoughts even tho they have already been shared.

I dont use the cardio equipment much at all but I do know you have to sign up to use them and only for 30 minutes at a time, during busy times. If its not busy, no one else is signed up, go for it.

Hate when people come to Zumba class late (and I've gotten there early or at least on time) and you crowd right in front of me or next to me where there really isnt room. Find a spot in the back.

Dont drop your weight bar in body pump class on the wood floors. Really?

Guys, you might want to think of wearing underwear if yuo wear those baggy shorts, esp when I am behind you in yoga.

Gals, you should consider checking yourself out first before you wear the see thru pants, when you bend over, you can see too much.

Regarding makeup - I wear it and my hair is done, but thats because I'm coming straight from work. On weekends, I am plain faced and scary.

If Zumba class is at its capacity, try to be considerate and dont act like you have a ton of floor space. You dont. Look behind you, again you dont have a ton of floor space and I dont appreciate being stepped on because you can't be bothered.

Finally in the locker room, do you have to use the entire bench across 20 lockers for your stuff?