Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    DIPS & PULL UPS! :wink:
  • smiller212003
    smiller212003 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use a 30lb barbell for 3 sets of 10-12 reps. I move to 10lb dumbells for 3 sets of 12-15 reps combining regular curls with hammerfist curls. I think 10-12lbs is a good weight for dumbell curls! 20-25lbs are good for Tri Extensions and presses.

5lbs can be used for high rep kickbacks or shoulder excercises! I dont care what anybody says! ;)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    5 lb weigths are pointless. If 3-5 lb was actually hard, grocery shopping would be impossible. Actually try a little bit or don't do 1,000,000 reps.
    You don't think there's a difference between putting a gallon of milk in your cart and doing several sets up reps?
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bench press, shoulder press, push press, cleans... all heavy.... and don't you dare tell me you "don't want to get bulky"...

Oh no I'm definitely not scared of getting bulky lol, I just don't have access to a gym, I bought the 5 pound weights last year when I first started exercising. I don't think I have enough money to really buy a gym set so that I can lift heavy, I would love to, I want to be strong, but I'll shop around walmart saturday and see what I can find.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I would buy a barbell! you would be surprised how fast you can increase in weight...i now overhead press 55 pounds, and i have had a history of back issues, and am 41...trust me your body will thank you

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

shoulder-press-front1.gif?w=600
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

5 lb weigths are pointless for pretty much everything but cardio with weights and rotator cuff rehab.

yeah, pullups are a great option for a woman who is hovering around where her ticker says she is...
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Yoga will not be as effective, no matter how you breathe.

I don't know, I've gotten really toned arms just from holding plank for a few breaths and going up into downdog back and forth a few times. Try Jillian Michaels yoga dvd and then get back to me and tell me yoga won't tone you up!!

Nope, sorry. I have done those, and I lift, there is no comparison. If you start from a pretty low strength base (which I did), yoga will be a struggle at first and you will gain limited strength. But, you'll top out pretty quickly. There are some yoga programs that require intense amounts of strength, but not a whole lot of people do those and your basic run of the mill yoga program won't fit the bill for long.

OP was asking for strength building. Any strength building should be progressive. If you are just starting out, look into resistance bands. They are relatively inexpensive (a decent set can cost as little as $25).
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Once you get the weights (something higher than 5 lbs) google the workout "Tank Top Arms to Love" super workout for the arms. Also, what the others suggested by using your own bodyweight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

5 lb weigths are pointless for pretty much everything but cardio with weights and rotator cuff rehab.

5lb weights are really good for women, such as myself, who don't have much upper body strength to begin with!! I remember when the 3lb weights seemed too heavy for me after a few reps haha I like to do those chair squats to work on my arms, and a lot of yoga. Holding a yoga pose is much easier than lifting weights and if you do proper breathing can be just as effective; especially since you're using your body weight as resistance for many of the poses. Good luck!

Most women can do more than they think they can. I agree that 5 Lb weights are pretty much pointless. My wife used to think she couldn't lift either...now she squats 1.5 times her body weight and benches around 95 Lbs.

OP...personally I would do full body body-weight routine if you don't have access to heavier weights...isolating your biceps/triceps, etc with a 5 Lb dumbbell is a waste of training time unless you are a much more advanced lifter.
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

yeah, pullups are a great option for a woman who is hovering around where her ticker says she is...

Lol, Yeah I probably shouldn't try pull ups >.< I'd probably break the house.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Er, pull-ups and chinups are great, but if you're a total beginner, it's probably gonna take you loads of training to accomplish even one pull-up. BUT, you can start on that road by strengthening your upper body with the great suggestions already made on this thread. Also, check out Nerd Fitness; there are many bodyweight exercises and routines there.

Also, the OP didn't say "5 lbs are all I ever want to lift." She said "5 lb dumbbells are what I have at this time." Everybody's gotta start somewhere. 5 lb weights may not do anything for Joe Jock or Suzy Superathlete, but for Betty Beginner, they may jolly well be a fantastic starting point.

Best of luck to you on strengthening your upper body!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

5lb weights are really good for women, such as myself, who don't have much upper body strength to begin with!! I remember when the 3lb weights seemed too heavy for me after a few reps haha I like to do those chair squats to work on my arms, and a lot of yoga. Holding a yoga pose is much easier than lifting weights and if you do proper breathing can be just as effective; especially since you're using your body weight as resistance for many of the poses. Good luck!

Most women can do more than they think they can. I agree that 5 Lb weights are pretty much pointless. My wife used to think she couldn't lift either...now she squats 1.5 times her body weight and benches around 95 Lbs.

OP...personally I would do full body body-weight routine if you don't have access to heavier weights...isolating your biceps/triceps, etc with a 5 Lb dumbbell is a waste of training time unless you are a much more advanced lifter.

I agree!!!!!! DING DING DING!
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    Er, pull-ups and chinups are great, but if you're a total beginner, it's probably gonna take you loads of training to accomplish even one pull-up. BUT, you can start on that road by strengthening your upper body with the great suggestions already made on this thread. Also, check out Nerd Fitness; there are many bodyweight exercises and routines there.

Also, the OP didn't say "5 lbs are all I ever want to lift." She said "5 lb dumbbells are what I have at this time." Everybody's gotta start somewhere. 5 lb weights may not do anything for Joe Jock or Suzy Superathlete, but for Betty Beginner, they may jolly well be a fantastic starting point.

Best of luck to you on strengthening your upper body!

Thank you (: I really am a total beginner with the upper body, for some reason I have a lot of leg strength (well being that I was almost 400 pounds I guess my legs had to be strong to put up with that) Now that I've lost the 120 and have another 80 or 90+ to go I want to start working on the top half as well.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Bench press, curls, pull ups
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Resistance band rows while seated - to target upper back and lats!
    Isometric arm exercises with 1 lb weights. Tones really well!!!! I have gotten rid of that little bit of bra bulge that way.
    Skull crushers with 3 to 5 lb weights in each hand. - works the triceps.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell or dumbbell snatches. ouch.
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the help, it looks like saturday I'm gonna pick up some heavier weights, and possibly some resistance bands and maybe a kettlebell too (:
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the help, it looks like saturday I'm gonna pick up some heavier weights, and possibly some resistance bands and maybe a kettlebell too (:

I vote for resistance bands and kettle bells too :) Some of the suggestions are a little out there for a beginner! Pull ups? Pushups are good, you'll probably have to do modified ones, but those are more core strength to me. And plank? for the arms? That confuses me but I'm not an expert, that again is core strength. Resistance bands are great to start with because they are inexpensive and can really get you started in the right direction. Some even come with a video workout as well. And don't throw out those 5lb weights yet, they can be a useful in the beginning. Use them while working the smaller muscles like triceps or even some shoulder muscles like the deltoids. They won't do much for biceps but they are not useless. You don't have to go out and buy a gym, that can come later :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

^This.

Keep in mind a gallon of milk or a decent iron pan weighs more than those 5lb weights. If all you have is some five pounders though, toss them and do bodyweight stuff. Also do some Sun A's from yoga. Those will wreck up your arms something fierce.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Pushups
    Pullups/chinups

To add to this - 5lbs will be heavy for anyone after a gazillion reps. But you're not actually building any strength when you curl 5lbs 100 times. To gain strength, you need a progressive loading program (like Otterluv suggested). There are some people here who know what they are talking about - and they're all telling you to lift heavy. Biggest bang for your buck. Why lift 5lbs 100 times when you could lift 50lbs 10 times and get a better result?