Low Carb High Protein QUICK lunch idea

2»

Replies

• I love sandwiches, but try to eat moderate carb. This week I am having a sandwich thin (I prefer Orowheat) and low sodium good quality ham. I take half a medium avocado and smother it on both sides instead of using condiments. For breakfast I had non-fat greek yogurt with defrosted wild organic blueberries and nitrite free chicken breakfast sausage. I also like to cook stirfrys on the weekend or meatloaf and add lentils.
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    In what universe are chickpeas low in carbs and high in protein? they have twice as many grams of carbs as protein.

In the universe of Glycemic Index where all carbs are not evil.

The same for Black Beans

You said evil. I didn't say evil. I pointed out there is a ratio. The suggestion is directly opposite to what the OP requested.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Bump
  • luvlyco
    luvlyco Posts: 1 Member
    Chicken sausage and low cal sara lee bread. It's what's for lunch. Slap on some mustard and ready to go. Super cheap too!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Get yourself some turkey chili!!! Check the sodium though.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    My favorite salad is romaine, a packet of salmon, 1/2 avocado and bean sprouts. I use Ken's restaurant table side ceasar dressing. It's so delicious.

I also frequently eat tacos made with real corn tortillas, steak, avocado, tomatoes and plain Greek yogurt. Not the lowest carb option, but you can easily add or subtract ingredients to get carbs lower. Very filling and yummy.
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Bump for reference
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    6 - 8 cherry tomatoes, 1 or 2 sticks of string cheese (cut into small chunks. You could also use Feta), 1 TBS olive oil (or less, depends on your taste), a TBS of capers and some italian seasonings (garlic, a pinch of salt, some basil. You can do without these and it's still good). Low in carb, high in good fats and protein. You can even add some Tyson ready made grilled chicken breast chunks. Throw them in the micro for 1 - 2 min and they are ready to go.
  • I marinade my chicken on Sundays, precook and pre portion my meals for the week. Cut up some celery and green peppers and have with some prepmade hummus. It takes effort to prepare everything, but the prepackaged lunch meats have so many nitrates and soduim. I mix up my marinades for some variety :) hope that helps someone...
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    In what universe are chickpeas low in carbs and high in protein? they have twice as many grams of carbs as protein.

The same for Black Beans

Though they are low on the glycemic index that does not make them low carb. They are two different things. I can't eat either because they still cause an insulin response though granted much smaller than say some watermelon or something. I am not saying the OP is trying to avoid an insulin response but I did want to clarify that they are NOT the same.
  • toriforte
    toriforte Posts: 8 Member
    Rotisserie chicken, container of hummus. Lasts me several days. :)
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Don't need a fridge for any of these great ideas--I freeze small bottles of water and pack one w/ the food. Then my lunch is cold and I have some cold water to drink too.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Butterball sells frozen turkey burgers with different seasonings.

The Sweet Onion is
    240 calories
    Tot Fat 11g
    Tot Carbs 2g
    Protein 31 g
  • In what universe are chickpeas low in carbs and high in protein? they have twice as many grams of carbs as protein.

The same for Black Beans

True. But OP wasn't asking for low GI foods, OP was asking for low carb high protein.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Bump
  • sararay509
    sararay509 Posts: 29 Member
    Bump for ideas.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    These are awesome!
    Butterball sells frozen turkey burgers with different seasonings.

The Sweet Onion is
    240 calories
    Tot Fat 11g
    Tot Carbs 2g
    Protein 31 g
  • typhelps
    typhelps Posts: 1
    Chickpeas, yogurt, blueberries, beans, peanut butter, fruit, jelly. Low carb?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Low carb high protein but high calorie, I like peanut butter on celery.

I wouldn't personally consider peanut butter to be low-carb.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Chickpeas, yogurt, blueberries, beans, peanut butter, fruit, jelly. Low carb?

I personally wouldn't consider beans, fruit or jelly (or peanut butter) to be low carb?

Or chick peas or yogurt?
  • Matrix_Dragon
    Matrix_Dragon Posts: 33 Member
    My go to meal is this

http://www.familysavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/photo-e1365372406434.jpg

+ shrimp or tuna.

Packed full of protein; and if you make your own dressing it can be very healthy too.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    I sometimes have a large tub of Fage % Greek Yogurt and Maple syrup.....high protein and very filling!

Maple syrup, while delicious, is not low-carb.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Just get a little packet of lunch meat and some cheese.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Can of tuna with tomatoes, feta cheese, spinach. Mix it all up in a bowl and eat.
  • cliffhealy
    cliffhealy Posts: 17 Member
    I eat the heck out of Oscar Meyer Deli Sliced Turkey.... Sometimes that is all I have for lunch no bread. Some days I do miss bread soooo very much. Not today for some reason.
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Maple syrup, while delicious, is not low-carb.

ruled.me has a great recipe for low-carb "maple" syrup.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Can of Salmon, some shredded cabbage mix (buy a big bag and keep in fridge) 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard mixed in with the cabbage

BOOM - Protein and Omega 3's with excellent fibre - and ultra low carb
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Tuna/chicken/salmon/surimi/shrimp/clam salads made with Greek yogurt instead of mayo with 1/4 cup frozen edamame and 1/4 cup frozen corn. Blend and serve.
  • egg whites with a very small amount of lean ham with a little bit of cheese- this is under 250 calories and very filling.

Ground turkey with Taco seasoning, 1 quarter of avocado, 1 TBS of Sour cream, small amount of cheese (1/4 cup or less), and Romaine lettuce- about 350 calories

Sara Lee light wheat bread, lean Turkey breast, and American cheese- around 300 calories--- the light bread has around 22 grams of carbs for 2 slices so not carb free but much less than reg. bread. Very satisfying.

Avoid Tuna it is VERY high in mercury and therefore, very toxic.
  • fresh ground peanut butter is low carb. More and more stores have the fresh grind machines. Delicious and no sugar or hydrogenated oils.